homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » I am not trying to start a flame war.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am not trying to start a flame war.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2009 02:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Okay I dislike WinBlows with a passion, I started on a TI/99 and wrote a lot of assembly code apps for my own use. Then we, TheMrsMoMan and myself bought a Performa. Nice machine used it until OS-9 came out, we also added two Imacs and a Umax, Supermac.

____ Now the Mrs has been using the dark side while I have been trying out various nix distros. I usually keep coming back to Ubuntu, however it is becoming such a resource hog that a lot of older machines will not run it. DSL Damn Small Linux is just that fast quick but not a lot of apps, and I do not want to learn code again at my age. What's this "Puppy" and "Tipsy Puppy" Now it is fun again, I got a Win app to install with out reading any manual, it just worked the way I thought it should.

____ So those of you that are experimenters download the ISO and give Tipsy Puppy a try, it sure does not tie up a lot of space.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2009 09:05      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo Man

I have found Xubuntu (Ubuntu using the XCFE desktop) to be very usable and will run acceptably on things that choke on recent Ubuntu releases.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted October 11, 2009 11:12      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from Xubuntu, there's Lubuntu, an ongoing project to have an official Ubuntu distro dunning LXDE which is even lighter than Xfce.

Both are nicely compatible with the main Ubuntu distro since both use GTK+ as widget toolkit.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 06:17      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Xubuntu for a fair while as I've found it can do everything Ubuntu can do, only quicker and on lower spec machines (just got round to installing it on this machine, in fact)
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 10:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Gentlemen I owe you all a thankyou for the tips on Ubuntu Lite. Is it also fewer calories? Anyway fro the pages I have read, I can change over without a fresh reinstall, that sounds appealing, any known problems with doing that?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 11:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*inhales sharply through his teeth*

In theory you can change from one "flavor" of *buntu to another (i.e. from Ubuntu to Kubunu to Xubuntu) by simply removing the "Ubuntu Desktop" package and installing the "Xubuntu Desktop" package. It works, I guess, but...

When I tried it, it was rather ugly and I wound up reinstalling anyway.

The different "flavors" of Ubuntu have different "recommended" programs. When you install Kubuntu, you get KDE's standard suite of utilities: Konquer, KWrite, KuikView, Kthis, Kthat, etc. When you install Ubuntu, you get gnome's standard suite of utilities: gnumeric, Nautilis, gedit, gthis, gthat, etc. Xubuntu installs a different set of utilities as well. When you switch from one flavor to the other, it doesn't do such a good job of cleaning up (or Kleaning up, in the case of KDE [Wink] ) the utilities left behind by the other flavor. At least that's the perception I was left with when I did it.

I would highly recommend downloading the Xubuntu ISO, burning it to a CD, and reinstalling. Back up your /home first if you have files you care about.

That being said, I have to second (or third?) the statement that Xubuntu (and XFCE) are very nice and lightweight, and work well on older hardware. I used to run it on my P-II 466 before I upgraded beyond the "gigahertz barrior." XFCE isn't quite as feature rich as gnome, but it still works very well.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 13:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I disagree with comments above about recent trends in Ubuntu Bloat, but...

I'm typing this on a fairly elderly Dell laptop that I was thinking of replacing, as it was annoyingly slow, Windoze took about 5 minutes to start up into a useable state, and I was seeing the hourglass far too often in apps. Then one rainy afternoon I decided to try the poor mans upgrade, backed up all my files, gave the laptop a Windozectomy, and installed Ubuntu 9.04.

It's like a whole new machine! Even with all the Ubuntu eye-candy enabled, it's far more responsive than it ever was with Windoze, and easily matches current generation laptops running Vista.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 14:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how you find yourself developing stubborn distro loyalty... I'm still a Red Hat / Fedora fanboi -- for whatever reason, I can't remember now. I use Slackware (partly) at work, and although it's nice and runs well, it still feels like not-quite-the-real-thing, like things are not quite in the place where I anally demand them to be. The important stuff is there -- shit builds the same as on Fedora, but... ya know... it's like someone took yer aged, worn, familiar hammer and gave you a shiny new one that lacks that residue of decades of grease and old skin.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 16:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well my OS dislike, means I will jump through flaming hoops backwards to not use WinBlows. Any Nix is better.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2009 04:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of Linux Bloat, a picture is worth a thousand words...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2009 05:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ TFD, quick question about your aging Dell,

Processor, Ram quantity?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2009 15:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

____ TFD, quick question about your aging Dell,

Processor, Ram quantity?

5 year old Inspiron 6000, 1.6 GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2009 15:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ TFD, That splains alot. I am using older hardware than you.

A: Dell ins 8000 PIII/ .896 Ghz/ 256Meg
B: Old Cowbox (Gateway) 1.2Ghz/ 256Meg
C: Compaq 1.8Ghz/1Geg this one flies on Puppy. It is also loaded with XP/GPS Navigation Software so I don't let it go on/line.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture