homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » I Friggen Hate WinBlows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Friggen Hate WinBlows
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 07:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ The MoMan Here __ Some of you may remember that a while back I asked about an App. that could do finance tracking much like Quicken.

I have an old Quadra 650 this thing has SCSI drives with the fifty pin cable, how could I ever recover data if it up and died. So I thought that the smart move would be to find a replacement accounting App. that I could run on one of the WinBlows Comps around here. I had asked here for some hints on a good Apps. Most hints led to GnuCash Portable Apps.

The user interface was much like Quicken and I liked that there were only two prefetch files left on WinBlows when the thumb drive was unplugged. No other data.

Well today I attempted to open the check book register and look up a check that someone claimed they had never gotten. I started to scroll backward in the file and it stopped scrolling.

This does not look good so I walked away for a while came back and still a blank screen. So I closed the App. and tried to reopen same. No data all friggen gone

So to prevent what I feared would happen I brought on what I feared might happen with the old Quadra. So I will have to set down with the Old Quadra and bring it up to date, and then I plan on running it till it dies.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 09:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As tempting as it is to blame Windows (and, really, I want to!), it is also quite possible that your thumbdrive itself went kaput. Flash memory is not immune to random failure.

This brings us to the old adage: always backup your data! Sorry, but someone had to say it.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 10:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ MacManKrisK __ As tempting as it is to blame WinBlows The drive appears fine and I tried to find reverse. I can reconstruct the files I have them in hard copy, it just urinates me that the files are all blank, the App still works. I can make a phony entry and close the app. reopen and the entry is still there.

So is it GnuCash or WinBlows? I want to blame WinBlows. One time in fifteen years I lost data on a Mac. and it was on an external SCSI drive so I guess the external is the problem. I guess I am a rotary phone person shoved into the Cell Phone world.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 10:38      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I guess I am a rotary phone person shoved into the Cell Phone world.

*hands MoMan a pencil and a ledger book*

Remember, assets equal liabilities plus capital.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2009 21:37      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing how Windows works (must contain the laughter) and knowing the quality of Windows PC hardware what most likely happened is that the Flash drive's USB connection probably came just a wee bit loose (I bet the machines USB port is a little iffy) during a read/write, hosing the file. Would it be possible to run the app from the internal HDD along with the data file and only use the Flash drive as backup?

Frankly, I hate Windows (I'm typing this on my father-in-law's Gateway laptop runnig Vista - a perk for dog-sitting while he sits on a warm Mexican beach eating all he can). Avoid it if you can. I've always had decent experiences with both Mac and Linux. But, just to back up my USB theory, the in-laws have a wireless mouse for the laptop, one of those jobs that uses a USB dongle. Well, all is fine as long as you don't move the machine. Move the machine and the mouse wigs out, the dongle light starts blinking and the mouse's tracking light does the same. I have to unplug the dongle and put it into its holding spot in the mouse to reset it.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should try the mouse out on my machine tomorrow to make sure it's not the mouse.

Oh, here's another thought. I use Win2K under Virtual PC to run Quickbooks (long story, don't ask). Anyway, after each time I use the software I make a backup to a directory in my Mac's user folder, not on the VPC drive. Each and everytime. That way, if anything gets hosed I only lose a few transactions. A lot easier to redo than from the beginning.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture