homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Web Pages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web Pages
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ TheMoMan here __ Why do some webmasters take a perfectly good page and replace it with one that is not user friendly? Because we own a large motor home we often plan trips with the aide of a reservation service through a RV Club. For years their web page worked well, reservations worked, no supprises. Last fall they changed the site, it is no longer easy to use in fact it is a down right pain. I am thinking of letting my membership lapse because of this gaff.

Why must web sites have the latest and greatest features, not everyone has bleeding edge computers and High Speed connections. 56k yeah more like 14k out here in the boonies.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 08:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Why do some webmasters take a perfectly good page and replace it with one that is not user friendly?

It is a common mistake done especially by kids that just got out of their web design course. They have just learnt about all the bells and whistles that can be put into a web page, and want to show off their new skills.

And most courses, especially the 1- or 2-years long technical courses - usually concentrating on Flash and the newest crazes because they're harder to master - rarely touches good interface designs and accessibility, or only as an overview soon forgotten for the bling-bling of their little toys.

I'm sorry you found one of those on your road. The best thing would be to complain to the company, explaining them why the new design is unusable to you. The kid will get a ruler-smack on his fingers, and will think twice when designing his next page. Consider your complain as a public service.

Good luck!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 11:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Stereo __ The only thing that really works at the reservation site is the contact us link from that I got the customer service number. The agent I spoke with said that right now, that the new web page is the number one complaint. I am still considering letting my wallet speak by going with their competition.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 12:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My online banking service just updated to a new interface, it now takes twice as many mouse clicks to perform simple actions like checking an account balance, and it's noticeably slower, but golly-gosh, it does look shiny.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 15:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ TheMoMan Again __ Ten or more years ago, Lincoln Mercury div. Of Ford. Their website was set up to sniff the connection, fast con better graphics, slow lower resolution photos, You were not punished for using dial-up.

Why did that go away?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 15:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of morons out there.

Leading web experts recommend keeping sites *lean* these days, not just for dialup, but to make the page load snappy for everyone. It's been said that if a site takes longer than n ms, a visitor might think twice about the site. As such, people employ all sorts of tricks to improve caching, compress resources (CSS, JS, and using image sprites rather than scads of icons), and diversifying download locations (to deal with 'max connections per host' restrictions). All but the last category should generally improve access time for *everyone*, including dialup users. That being said, people can still make perfectly good sites bloated. (Case in point: NY Times home page :sigh:)

I've recently installed NoScript in Firefox. I previously held it to be the tool of the tin-foil hat crowd, but decided to bite the bullet, with all the talk of disastrous XSS and 'clickjacking.' It's surprising to see just how much junk is Javascript-powered...and also how well certain site 'degrade gracefully.' It's an absolute pleasure to view NYT articles, as the highlighting thing doesn't turn on a definition mode, and 'enlarge image' links go straight to the picture, not a bloated 'new window.' I'm not going to say that running without Javascript will speed things up tremendously, but it may keep some clutter at bay. (Certain JS ads download things in the background, eating up more bandwidth.)

Also, it might be worthwhile to use an ad-blocking tool (like AdBlock Plus), as ads are surely going to eat bandwidth. I normally don't advocate such things, as ads pay the bills on websites...but it may help your browsing experience.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2009 16:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using NoScript for quite some time, and I always feel a little strange when I use other computers without it. However, I don't bother with AdBlock, as I've found I prefer Flashblock instead. I'm fine with the more straightforward image ads, but the flash ones are often a big source of slowdown for me.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture