homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » BOINC, BOINC, BOINC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BOINC, BOINC, BOINC
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 12, 2008 15:06      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After several years, I have finally bought a computer of my own. It's a really cheap Dell (I would prefer a Mac but can't afford it). It's green (my favorite color). Of course, just as with my old Mac Powerbook from ages ago, one of the first things I wanted to install was SETI @ Home. However, I discovered that SETI is available these days through an entity called BOINC, and there is an array of projects to choose from. So instead of searching for aliens, I'm analyzing lil protein thingies via [email protected] for the betterment of humanity [Razz]
Does anyone else here run a BOINC project on their computer? Which project have you chosen and why?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 16:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MTB! Good to see you(r) back(end) [Applause]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 18:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No BOINC projects runninghere though I sort of feeling irresponsible for not running Rosetta.

But...a couple years ago someone came to give us a seminar and she showed us some of the Rosetta @ home results (yes, people ARE looking). Imagine a protein as a single wire with stuff jutting out the sides and the wire's all twisted. If you just look at the protein backbones their predicted structures matched up very nicely with the reality. Add in the side chains and something like 7 out of 5,000 solutions were correct. So the wire is right but the extra crap isn't. They've tweaked the algorithm since but I'm not sure if their luck's improved. I'm not waiting for it to improve either. As long as the modelers can't make a prediction worth a damn I have a job. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 11:39      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was running Rosetta, SETI, LHC, and a couple of others but due to a current crappy setup I have had to put that on hold.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 18:10      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. I'm wondering what the real benefits are to running it. After Xanthine's post and other reviews I've seen online, I'm not sure if it's worth the dedication on my lil laptop [ohwell]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture