homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » To buy or not to buy....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To buy or not to buy....
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 13:12      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know that friday is the day the new iPhone goes on sale, and I have been debating for a month if I should get it or not. I still can't decide. I already have AT&T cell service, so my bill would only go up another $20 per month. But is it worth it over time? You have to keep the data plan on it forever. HELP ME DECIDE!!! It's just soooo shiny [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 13:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$20/mo. is $240 a year. Do you really need that for a shiny toy?

What exactly does the iPhone buy you that you need on a daily basis?

I'm still not convinced that it's the be-all-end-all, especially without copy and paste or even text selection. (Hint: Replying to things really stinks when you can't remove paragraphs of text.)

P.S. I have an iPod Touch courtesy of a nice vendor...and while it is pretty darned cool, I still couldn't see having it as my mobile.

P.P.S. This is my mobile, and I love it:
http://images.google.com/images?q=lg+vx3100

No web, no camera, no ringtone, no insanely expensive data plan. It's just a phone, with good coverage (Verizon) and my favorite text entry system since the last century...T9. I can type a lot faster with 10 keys and T9 than on a touch screen.

That said, Mobile Safari is pretty cool...as are many other apps on it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 13:33      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. Do you have 3G service in your area? If you do, do you really want to spend the extra $20/month for the service? In any event, you have probably already made up your mind, you just want someone to confirm what you really want to do.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 14:02      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's just it, my mind is not made up. I was hoping someone could sway me either way. My friend has the 1G version, and he says it's a great phone, but the EDGE sucks on it. But isn't that what is supposed to be faster on this upgrade?

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 14:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you really don't have your mind made up then you need to know about the 3G service in your area. If you don't have it you will have turtle like speed for data unless you are in an open wi-fi area.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 14:12      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on if you think that the limitations in the iPhone will affect you. And, just as any other brand of phone, there are a few. I think you know DMan's biggest gripe about the iPhone. I personally like the Blackberry's and would be concerned about ruining the touch screen. And if the iPhone is like some of the other PDA phones AT&T is offering, there is no insurance available if something goes wrong.

Also limited applications available for the iPhone next to its competitors.

I am not impressed with iPods so the idea of having one integrated into my phone really doesn't get me hot and bothered like the fanboys out there. And as far as it goes, I prefer phones that can make reliable calls, and the gadgets are pretty well secondary.

So the better question is "are you willing to live with the weaknesses for the phones strengths?"

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 14:25      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I buy a new tech toy, I convince myself that I deserve it.

1. I've been working my ass off for the last X months and haven't bought anything major in that time.

2. I can afford it and the costs that come with it no problem, and I don't need to go into my reserve money.

3. My old phone is old and this one will allow me to _________.

etc, etc.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 14:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

I am not impressed with iPods so the idea of having one integrated into my phone really doesn't get me hot and bothered like the fanboys out there. And as far as it goes, I prefer phones that can make reliable calls, and the gadgets are pretty well secondary.

So the better question is "are you willing to live with the weaknesses for the phones strengths?"

That's the crux of it for me. My phone is very good at being a phone. My iPod Touch is pretty good at being an iPod, and rather cool about a lot of other things, but I just don't need the 'synergy.'† Frankly...it /fails/ as an iPod compared to 'real' iPods, as the lack of a scroll wheel really stinks. I've played with a mess of iPods, and the ability to control them by motor memory (just scroll the volume up or down, click left or right to change tracks) is so much better than having to look at the screen! (Top tip: Double-click the 'menu' key to open a music controller in *any* screen. I was about to chuck it out a window before I learned that. Still, I don't recommend trying to use these controls while driving.)

Now then, if you plan on 'getting lost' and need some music along with the ability to surf the Web, watch videos while waiting for a cab, and talk to your friends before using the GPS to find your way to the nearest street...the iPhone is just for you! If you can cope with a cell phone and just want a cool multimedia device, get an iPod Touch. If you can survive amongst civilization for a few hours in between using computers, stick with your cell phone and if you don't already have an iPod, get an iPod Nano and save a lot of money!‡

</still_grumpy_NYer> [Wink]

† Darn seniority and the buzzword-itis that accompanies it. [Wink]

‡ Or...you could buy none of the above and save even more money and do something utterly terrifying and try talking to people. [Razz] Rumor has it this can help one's bowling game. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 19:45      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, i have never been interested in buying an iphone, if i won one in a contest that i didn't have to enter and there were no strings attached (somneone just shows up and gives me one), i might use it as a toy, but i already have a working phone (T-Mobile Wing aka HTC Herald), and my real toy and future phone (OpenMoko FreeRunner) has already been ordered, T-Mobile doesn't have 3g, or even edge, (at least not in CO) so there is no selling point there. and the inability to buy it unlocked, or even unlock a locked iphone and not have to re-unlock or work around problems down the road is a huge negative imho

In the end, it all comes down to just what has already been said - if the iphone gets you anything you need, or really want that a less expensive phone can not, (personal taste does count for something, however)

Just my two cents

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 08, 2008 21:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was me, I would buy the iPhone.

Why?

#1: Because I absolutely hate my current cell phone, (horrible interface, useless camera, etc, etc). I would pay anything (except for Rogers rates [Mad] ) to have an easy to use, gorgeous phone, web browser, email, all sinc'd up to my Mac nicely.

#2. I LOVE my iPod Touch.

For me, the only thing the Touch is missing is a phone and a camera. [Razz]

#3. The new aps that are coming to the iPhone... whoa.

Get it. Live the tech dream. [Big Grin] And it will help you find bowling partners! [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 09:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bottome line: the minimum amount a Canadian customer will have to fork out is $2600. Wow. (Okay, that's the three-year contract @ $60 per month -- +$6.95 access fee thingy + $200 purchase price...) Sorry, but that's a lot. That's a lot of beer. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 11:52      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked at the iPhone, and when the first iteration came out thought about getting one for the iPod functionality, visual voicemail, and Wi-Fi with Mobile Safari.

But, then I thought about what I really need a phone for, and that's to make calls. Then I thought about it some more and realized that I can get a Macbook for about $1000 (new, at MacMall) (or, one of them new fangled netbooks for about $300 - $400) and that comes with the full functionality of its respective OS X, plus iTunes, Safari (not Mobile), Wi-Fi, etc. Plus, I don't need some expensive ass data plan and service plan that together will cost me another $20 - $30/month for half my current minutes.

To really answer your question you need to ask yourself "What are my real needs?" If, like was pointed out here, the convergence of phone, iPod, GPS and handheld computing power will add convenience and harmony, go for it. Also, if you already have a data plan with your provider and, I'm assuming you're in the US, AT&T's won't cost more, then you needn't consider any added monthly cost.

Personally, I need a phone to make calls. Period. If it comes with an interesting game or two, great. I don't text, browse the web or email from my phone. I don't have a data plan, and personally think that the plan I do have is about twice what it should be. But, that's just me, YMMV.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 12:07      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just tried to get a GB appt, to have my key and battery replaced, and there is NOTHING available. I was going to take a little looksie at the iPhone when I took my Mac in for repair, but I'm guessing I don't wanna be anywhere near an Apple store on friday. Hmm, I guess I will have to wait... I really only use my phone for calls as well Tweety, I don't text, or even use a data plan, but the phone I have now is crap, and I just thought it would be a good time to upgrade.

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 12:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
I don't text, or even use a data plan, but the phone I have now is crap, and I just thought it would be a good time to upgrade.

Then you are a user like me. I think it would be more practical to upgrade to regular cell phone. There are phones out there that are stylish that will suit your needs and you won't have to pay the extra $20 per month. I do not think I will ever go to an iPhone because even though it's nice and shiny, I will never take full advantage of all that it can do.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 15:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use my cellphone much, so I have stuck with a tariff which doesn't charge a monthly rental and just charges per call. Every now and then I buy another second hand 'phone (Sony Ericssons are well built and the software is tolerable). My 'phone company is always trying to tempt me to "upgrade", but it would mean tripling my monthly 'phone bill.

I would like to play with an iPhone for an hour or two, but I feel no ache for one. I spend too much time on the Internet as it is.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 16:26      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a mistake to talk about what we *need*. We're geeks; that means we're allowed to spend silly amounts of money on something that we don't need but really want.

Sure, most people can live without lots of the features it has. But a few years ago, most people could live without a mobile phone entirely. These technology improvements quickly become part of our lives, and then it seems crazy not to have them. I'd never used the internet on any of my previous phones, but since the iPhone I 'can't live without it'. And this is even without 3G.

I think lots of people use "shiny" disparagingly, as if it's silly to spend lots of money on something just because of its design. But a phone is something you use *all the time*, and for this reason the way it feels, behaves and looks are all important. Obviously no one is buying it just because of its specular reflectivity, but the term "shiny" encapsulates all the design details that make the phone great to use.

But none of this matters, because in a couple of days the iPhone and iPod Touch change into something infinitely better, with no extra charge. The initial App Store offerings will be enough to make you want one, and there will be many more coming over the next few years.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 17:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, max - I think there's a charge to upgrade the iPod Touch to be capable of using the App Store. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but do include a citation.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 17:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, you're right.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture