homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Anyone else as excited as I am? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone else as excited as I am?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 04:08      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, surely someone else on these forums is as excited as I am to see what latest and greatest new "shiny" Steve Jobs is going to revel today at WWDC. I can only dream of a new more affordable iPhone:) The tension is killing me!!! Anyone else as geeky as me???

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted June 09, 2008 05:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No hon... just you.
*grin*

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 06:03      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be following the liveblogging that goes on, but I don't expect Steve to present aything groundbreaking that I want. I like a small phone, so an iphone is unlikely to work for me (anything small enough to suit my pocket would be uselss for a touchscreen, especially with my fat fingers).

Snow leopard sounds worthy, but dull. The fusion looks like a smaller mini, and I already have a mini.

If I could get a new desktop with plenty of oomph for cheap, then I might be interested. I might even be swayed by mobileme (nee .mac), but I doubt it.

Heres hoping there's 'one more thing' that no-one has foreseen which blows us all away.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 09, 2008 07:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MEEEEE!!!!!! [Big Grin]

It's OS X-Mas morning!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 08:19      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leo Laporte on www.twitlive.tv is going to have "meta-coverage" of the keynote by refreshing pages that report on the keynote as it happens and he and a guest will be making comments on it. He is starting at 9:30am pacific time, a half hour before the keynote, and going past the end until they have nothing more to say. If you have a stickam account you can even chat with the other viewers.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 08:45      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very interested and curious as to what WWDC will bring, but excited? Eh, not really. As far as the iPhone is concerned, it's a $400(!) phone. I spent $50 on my RAZR and thought that was too much. Frankly, all I need is the ability to make and receive phone calls. Now, if an iPhone was intro'd at say, $150 - $200, with iPod/iTunes functionality, okay, that might get my ears to prick up.

The other thing that would really get me going is a middle ground Macbook model, say about $1400 with a discrete graphics chip and maybe a 14" screen at say, oh, 1440 x whatever would complete a 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio. Something that wouldn't completely suck at gaming, especially for someone like me who is a very casual gamer, and not as expensive as the MBP's.

Otherwise, I've got my eyes set on a Macbook (white) and an iMac. The MB for mobility and general playing around, and the iMac for work and some gaming. Originally, I planned on getting a MBP, but Mrs. Tweety pointed out that it might be better, and cost nearly the same, to get a MB and iMac. Did I ever tell you all how cool she is? She's totally the best. [hearts]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 09:16      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am excited for this events to bring.

I already has MB and iPod Touch. I can't wait for iPod Touch firmwave 2.0 will have. I always wondering about 10.6.

Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 09:18      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
I'm very interested and curious as to what WWDC will bring, but excited? Eh, not really. As far as the iPhone is concerned, it's a $400(!) phone. I spent $50 on my RAZR and thought that was too much. Frankly, all I need is the ability to make and receive phone calls. Now, if an iPhone was intro'd at say, $150 - $200, with iPod/iTunes functionality, okay, that might get my ears to prick up.

The other thing that would really get me going is a middle ground Macbook model, say about $1400 with a discrete graphics chip and maybe a 14" screen at say, oh, 1440 x whatever would complete a 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio. Something that wouldn't completely suck at gaming, especially for someone like me who is a very casual gamer, and not as expensive as the MBP's.

Otherwise, I've got my eyes set on a Macbook (white) and an iMac. The MB for mobility and general playing around, and the iMac for work and some gaming. Originally, I planned on getting a MBP, but Mrs. Tweety pointed out that it might be better, and cost nearly the same, to get a MB and iMac. Did I ever tell you all how cool she is? She's totally the best. [hearts]

AT&T likely to do $200 subsides 3G iPhone.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 11:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only one question: Will it have text selection, as well as copy/paste?!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 11:53      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs point to no.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 11:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Signs point to no.

[Frown] [Frown]

Not having that /really/ sucks.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 12:00      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, ears officially pricked up. Two-hundred US for 8GB iPhone. Hmmm … thinking … thinking … contract up in July … hmmm … do I really need one?

Oh, crap, no, don't really need one. But, definitely on the radar now.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 12:09      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweety, of course you need one. It has a GPS, you can't even buy a good GPS for that price. I'm getting it as soon as it comes out. Truly this is a very happy day:)

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 12:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It has a GPS, you can't even buy a good GPS for that price.
But then, you don't need to pay on a plan every month if you buy a GPS.
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 12:55      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but it's Apple, and it's shiny [Big Grin]

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 13:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This keynote really just focused on the iPhone which really didn't surprise me, but I was hoping for a bit more information about Snow Leopard. I guess there is not that much to talk about yet concerning that. [ohwell]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 13:49      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I totally agree that iPhone just became 3 times as cool as the original, my needs here are definitely prioritized. Like, I need a Macbook and iMac before an iPhone. But, if AT&T where to subsidize the phone so it where, say, $50 with a 2-yr contract, then I may be forced to reprioritize by priorities. [Cool]

Of course, need is equivalent to want in this case and, as we all know, want is not equivalent to "Excellent reasoning, Smith, we'll allocate company funds for that purchase right away."

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 09, 2008 14:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They talked about Snow Leopard after the keynote.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 16:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
It has a GPS, you can't even buy a good GPS for that price.

Yes, you can.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 09, 2008 17:17      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons, at current rates 162.40 GBP are 320.42 USD and still you're not getting the set of features the iPhone has.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 17:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.google.com/products?q=nuvi

*Much* better GPS for the $$

It can even play MP3s. [Wink]

--------------------

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 17:53      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but with an iPhone, you get a phone with your GPS/MP3 player. Which means that when you get lost using the GPS functionality, your lovely wife, who wisely stayed at home, can still ream you new one while you're driving. No waiting to get back to the house! Now, isn't that worth the money? [evil]

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 18:18      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget there is no in-house activations. It has to be activate it in the store. It could be a speculations?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 22:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iNoles:
Don't forget there is no in-house activations. It has to be activate it in the store.

Suddenly the market for iPhone 1.0 unlocked just heated up. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2008 23:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is nobody arguing yet about whether MobileMe is a useful replacement for.mac?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture