homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » "Hello lover" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Hello lover"
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 11:02      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hello lover" is what I say to my MBP every time I open him up. There is something seriously wrong with me. I am prying him out of my hands this weekend and going out with the girls. Well, I might take him with me....

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 12:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is a MBP?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 12:41      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's my Macbook Pro, and he's beautiful!!

Hello, my name is ________ and I am a geek!!!

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 04, 2008 13:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a he? I should have guessed that from those 17", oh my, that's so wrong...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nuclear Doughnut
Geek Larva
Member # 16341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 15:31      Profile for Nuclear Doughnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Pulls out shotgun)

No mac will ever enter my house... Except if it's free and running linux.

Now a Rack mounted PC always has a home in my server cabnit [Smile]

Posts: 21 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 10:00      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a MacBook Pro about a month and a half ago. It totally rocks my socks. I have it dual booting with XP so I can play games on it. It really does make a great mobile gaming platform. But then after I'm done killing storm troopers and shooting down the TIE fighters I can switch over to a real OS to get stuff done.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 12:45      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does 'he' come with varous attachments or are those separate add-ons?
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 16:54      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
Does 'he' come with varous attachments or are those separate add-ons?

To paraphrase an old Apple II text game, "I suggest you try that with the USB port in back."

Bonus points to anyone who can refresh my failing memory which game that was.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 17:13      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
"Hello lover" is what I say to my MBP every time I open him up. There is something seriously wrong with me. I am prying him out of my hands this weekend and going out with the girls. Well, I might take him with me....

Ok, wow. My mind just went a million miles per second in the wrong direction.
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 18:46      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Doughnut:
(Pulls out shotgun)

No mac will ever enter my house... Except if it's free and running linux.

I used to think exactly like you Nuclear Doughnut. Seriously once I went out on a service call to the chemistry department about 6 years ago and I was fixing a problem with someone's PC. One of the professors was saying that he never has computer problems because he didn't rate one. My sarcastic reply was "so you must have a Mac then".

Now I am the proud owner of a 24" iMac. OS X is a superior OS IHMO and the apps are really user friendly. I do salute you however for running Linux as it's a rock solid OS as well as being open source. I was running Ubuntu until my motherboard fried and I just said to heck with it because I spent more time fixing computer problems and configuring my computer than I was doing the stuff I wanted to do with it.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 18:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Dave:
To paraphrase an old Apple II text game, "I suggest you try that with the USB port in back."

I think it should be worth at least quadruple bonus points if you can find an old Apple II game that actually refers to USB ports...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 18:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was much like you till I owned my first mac. A 14" MacBook back in early 2004.

Then I figured out that what I wanted to do WAS constantly fix and configure my computer, and others. I found myself bored with my computer; it always worked after all, kinda left me with nothing to do.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 22:54      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't knock it till ya try it [Big Grin] I was a windows user my whole life until recently. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!!

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 00:08      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
quote:
Mr. Dave:

I think it should be worth at least quadruple bonus points if you can find an old Apple II game that actually refers to USB ports...
I said I was paraphrasing. I think the original referred to the cassette port.

--------------------

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 09:30      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Don't knock it till ya try it [Big Grin] I was a windows user my whole life until recently. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!!

Well there are some that would disagree, myself included, though I wont go into that because of my strong tendency of making a complete ass of myself [Razz]

Seriously I've used windows, OSX and various *nix, and i'll be sticking with gentoo on generic self build HW until its ripped from my cold lifeless fingers.

but then again, I'm strange [Razz]

each to their own, and that should be enough for everyone.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nuclear Doughnut
Geek Larva
Member # 16341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 13:17      Profile for Nuclear Doughnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to own a Pentium 1 before I got an Imac G3 it was plauged with problems so I eventually said to hell with Mac then I'm running a PC with Windows and had less problems (Go figure) I recently bought a new laptop and instantly converted it to Ubuntu.

I also have been collecting old PC's and removing windows from them and putting linux on them [Smile]

I did go Mac and I went back [Smile]

A PC dual booting Linux and Windows can do anything and more than a Mac... the only thing mac has going for them is how they look. When you buy a PC you usually can upgrade it a few times before you have to buy a new one. Mac you have to buy a new computer completely.

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 13:58      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fink is a cool app that installs Linux programs easily on OS X. The apps run with the X11 window system that comes with OS X. So with a Mac running boot camp I can run OS X, Linux and Windows programs all on one computer. With Parallels I can run them all simultaneously and copy and paste between apps that use the same info as well as store all the data in one organized area on my hard drive.

Granted I don't have the ability to upgrade considering I have maxed out my 24" iMac's processor, memory and hard drive when I bought it, but I also don't foresee that as a problem for a number of years and I will probably buy a second external hard drive before it's over with to extend the computer's life. By then I will have gotten my full use out of it and will be ready to buy another one any way without the hassle of occasionally upgrading the hardware. I don't mind paying the premium for my convenience.

I built my previous 6 computers from parts and I had a good time doing it. What changed me was Leopard is a slick implementation of *nix plus I had a fried motherboard that I did not want to spend money to replace since I knew the next computer I bought would be a Mac. I just ended up buying it sooner rather than later. I still enjoy fixing computer hardware. I just don't want to have to deal with it concerning my personal machine anymore.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 16:35      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is the most civil Mac Vs. Windows (yet *nix always wins) flame war I've ever seen on these boards.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 16:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your all gay. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 07, 2008 18:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yO m0MM4 ZOMG!1!!!!11!!!!one!!1!!eleven1!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 18:14      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Doughnut:
When you buy a PC you usually can upgrade it a few times before you have to buy a new one. Mac you have to buy a new computer completely.

I'm posting this from a 2001-vintage TiBook which shipped with OS 9.1 and which I just upgraded with more memory, a bigger hard drive, and Tiger. (Sadly, it's off the list for Leopard.) That's just about exactly seven years, and I expect it'll do me for at least a couple more (perhaps even longer as a "second" machine).

Mind you, I'm also sitting less than a metre from a 486 running FreeBSD 4 and which I (in theory) should be able to up to FreeBSD 7 if I can ever get a round tuit. (The round ones seem especially scarce of late.)

--------------------

Nuclear Doughnut
Geek Larva
Member # 16341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 18:28      Profile for Nuclear Doughnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But when you are attempting to run gaming servers... I doubt a 486 is going to cut it.

2001... Is that still the Power PC chip?

Cause I only have 1 Linux disc that supports that... Ubuntu 6.06 was their last.

My question to all you PC traitor, Mac activist whatevers is How many Servers do you see that are Macs?

I don't see any benefit to using a mac other than it's all in one spot.

As a PC user I challange any Mac user to Try to convince me of practical reasons for me to switch over...

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 18:32      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows users in class often tell me I can't upgrade my Mac. Which is odd, because none of them have even changed their batteries, whereas I have butchered my MBP - extra RAM, bigger hard drive, and an additional internal hard drive. It runs better than ever.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nuclear Doughnut
Geek Larva
Member # 16341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 18:41      Profile for Nuclear Doughnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see... I replaced my internal HD with a larger one 120gb...
I added a 1gb stick of ram...
... I don't have room for another HD cause My Processer takes so much room to cool... (cause it kicks ass)

I've upgraded my Laptop... I just need to get the factory warrenty on my Battery ... I only get 40 minutes on a formerly 1 hour and 40 minutes...

Doesn't convince me to get a Mac...

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 19:02      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I think this is the most civil Mac Vs. Windows (yet *nix always wins) flame war I've ever seen on these boards.

guess we've all learned how to discuss without getting worked up about it, well most of us anyway.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture