homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Does anyone still use a Newton here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone still use a Newton here?
HubmaN
Geek Larva
Member # 7554

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted May 14, 2007 04:28      Profile for HubmaN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ohwell] I was wondering... is anyone still using a Newton here? Because I've just won a bid on one from eBay... and I really don't want to make myself feel like it's a waste of time (I could go into a sob story about another one being destroyed)... but still, does ANYONE still use a Newton here? Anyone? ANYONE? (waaa!!!!-hehe)

--------------------
"...they will see us waiting on such great heights, come down now, they'll say..."

Posts: 29 | From: Bangkok, Thailand | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 11:11      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do from time to time, when I don't want to take my laptop somewhere. It needs bluetooth or WiFi to make it really useful for me. Seems I need to spend some money on upgrading it.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 14:04      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish i had one to play with ... newton still rules.

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 14, 2007 17:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one, but don't use it. [crazy]

Yes, I admit it, I'm a Newton neglecter. [Frown]

There are some great Newton communities and newsgroups out there, google around!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 19:19      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Newton MessagePad 110. It has no backlight, one MB of RAM (shared between programs *and* data!), and few expansion options. [Frown]

I still use it, once in a while, just for fun. I sometimes just write stuff on it and see if it can still read my writing. It does surprizingly well most of the time! Alas, it has no way to interface with any Mac made since 1998 (when apple got rid of the "Classic" Macintosh ports), so it's usability has severely declined. [Frown]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 15, 2007 07:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
or WikiWikiNewt: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2007 12:43      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a 2100 that I bust out every once in a while. Connectivity with newer Macs is an issue, but there is at least one person that I know of working on that.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 16, 2007 14:53      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two Newtons here - one is a 4Mb MP2100 and the other a 1Mb model which my daughter has. I don't use either one very much nowadays because of the basic problem getting information off the unit - NCU is difficult to install and basically doesn't connect most of the time, not helped by the fact that it's not easy to get a USB serial port to be Com1-4.
When I do use it (and the backlight is getting pretty dim as well now) I find it simply amazing. Things like the notes ability to be drawings, digital ink, HWR or even typed in text with the keyboard are great, the integration with the calendar, address, to-do is still unrivalled. There are some great games, the stylus is unsurpassed, and I could go on.

But the world has moved on and the lack of storage, multimedia, colour and connectivity have relegated my trusty Newton to an occasional nostalgic plaything. *Sigh*

Plus, it's enormous.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture