homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Why Macs are best.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Macs are best.
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 06:01      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get this widget, use this hack, and whoopdidooh! A lava lamp on your desktop!

Only Macs can waste CPU cycles and screen real estate in such a gloriously pointless way. Eat your heart out Jimintheforest!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 19, 2007 06:34      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish this widget were in Opera...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 16:28      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot I had that widget. Thanks for pointing me to the update! I might try the hack.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 17:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really insane approach is to put a screensaver or, in my case, Geiss 2 on the desktop. But you need an insane CPU speed to pull that one off.
IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 18:19      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought it would be cool to have a desktop/console combination. I don't knwo how you'd pull this off, but it would be really sweet.

I'd write it, but then I'd have to learn mac OS X interface library... I don't think I could accomplish it with just unix system calls.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 5 posted February 19, 2007 18:24      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I've always thought it would be cool to have a desktop/console combination. I don't knwo how you'd pull this off, but it would be really sweet.

I'd write it, but then I'd have to learn mac OS X interface library... I don't think I could accomplish it with just unix system calls.

Like the Pippin? Oh! You said cool...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2007 21:14      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Get this widget, use this hack, and whoopdidooh! A lava lamp on your desktop!

Only Macs can waste CPU cycles and screen real estate in such a gloriously pointless way. Eat your heart out Jimintheforest!

In case you aren't being sarcastic, i'd like to point you to this: E17 pre-release video

Talk about eye candy [Smile]

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 05:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 14:34      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that? Is that for Linux?

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 20:52      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:
What is that? Is that for Linux?

Linux, BSD, Solaris, not sure what else it has been ported to, still pre-alpha (acording to the devs) but i and many others find it stable enough for every day use

oh, and it is Enlightenment 17 (16.999.something actually) http://www.enlightenment.org

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
HubmaN
Geek Larva
Member # 7554

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted March 15, 2007 08:26      Profile for HubmaN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I remember seeing in Macworld (the magazine) a program called "Amnesty Singles" that convert widgets to apps or something. You might want to use that if you want to keep the Dashboard "pure".

--------------------
"...they will see us waiting on such great heights, come down now, they'll say..."

Posts: 29 | From: Bangkok, Thailand | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 13:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit that Macs can be fine computers but this poor fellow had quite a bit of bad luck with them.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 16, 2007 20:45      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Just wow. [Eek!]

I had heard of MacBook problems but that one really takes the cake. I wouldn't be at all surprized if he went to a Windows laptop. I would recommend a MacBook Pro instead. I don't get the specs on MacBooks anyway. Not enough of a graphics chip to even run World of Warcraft. [Confused]

I am now without a Mac laptop as I have sold my iBook. If I could just afford a MBP... [Big Grin]

EDIT: I know that is thread-jacking in a way. [crazy]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 12:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm wtf Tominfla???

I have 2 G4 iBooks, 1 G5 iMac, 1 Macbook CoreDuo and one MacBook Core2Duo and they ALL can play WoW perfectly well thanks... I don't know where you got that idea

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 19:13      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak, I just now got back to the thread.

I know Serenak, but that was what I'd heard. I actually haven't tried installing and playing WoW on a MacBook. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

I do know I was interested in getting a TiBook because they would run WoW. They're still really good systems AND they run OS 9 natively.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 19:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:
Serenak, I just now got back to the thread.

I know Serenak, but that was what I'd heard. I actually haven't tried installing and playing WoW on a MacBook. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

I do know I was interested in getting a TiBook because they would run WoW. They're still really good systems AND they run OS 9 natively.

Incidentally, I can also attest to WoW on the G4 laptops - I have 2 of them. It also runs on the Mini (I have the oldest and crappiest one). My wife played WoW constantly played WoW on a 12" G4. I played it on the G4 1 GHz, and I played it a lot on the MacBook Pro (1st gen). Just so ya know, the MBP gets framerates into the 100FPS range [Big Grin]

One of my friends plays on a white MacBook, too. He gets respectable, but not amazing, performance.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 15:29      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White MacBooks (well probably black ones too actually) need a bit of a RAM boost to play WoW well because of the "vampire video" effect - my wife plays WoW /all the time/ on the White MacBook CD it was a bit iffy on the the original 512Mb RAM (well it would be as that is the stated min...) but once we boosted it to 1.5Gb she has never had a problem with it even with a multi chat Skype/Ventrilo/TeamSpeex connection on the go.

OK so not a hardcore gamer's choice I am sure but perfectly adequate for the rest of us - and my 12" G4 iBooks are adequate for the task for occasional gamers like me... they can get a bit laggy in very heavily populated areas - like cities - but not unbearably so to my mind

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maxillius
Newbie Larva
Member # 7853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 14:07      Profile for Maxillius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first Mini's HD died after exactly a year of service, but apart from that Apples have served me well.
Posts: 9 | From: Lansing, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 14:23      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm.

I like my Apple.

It allows me to use NeoOffice to do things like . . . write novels and stupid stuff like that. My Apple is wretchedly good at finding wireless connections, is terrible when it comes to connecting things easily to the USB port (like when I forget to plug in my mouse or have to plug in a USB card).

Plus, I'll say it:

Titanium is the NEW black, and apples taste better in a pie than windows.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture