homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Cleaning a monitor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning a monitor
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted February 07, 2007 18:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was doing battle with Globat to get a particular site going, my monitor was also arcing over inside every few minutes and it was scaring me. I haven't a clue how fast it damages the screen, but I was too busy to turn it off!

So now that Globat is seemingly working, I was able to dismantle it and clean it up -- I've posted the scientific evidence here:

http://telcontar.net/Misc/anecdotes/monitor-clean.php

It's the nasty static voltage equivalent of getting all the dirt out of the mouse.

(Addendum: Had the screen running a while and got another arc. It's as clean as I could get it, so maybe the screen is in its death throes? D'oh)

IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 05:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann_______________________I read your commentary on cleaning the Monitor. If you are still getting arcover darken the room and watch the back of the monitor. This should give you the location that the arcover is occuring. Now on redisassembly let the monitor cool about twenty minutes, this will allow most of the second anode voltage to disapate. take a wire from the metal frame to the red high voltage lead to discharge residual voltage. slide the end under the rubber seal. Now follow the red wire to the High Voltage Transformer (back in TV days it was called the flyback Trans) this the area that flash over usually occurs. Use a Vacuum cleaner with plastic tools here, as the dust inside a metal pipe could generate static electricity. You may also find two metal points pointing at each other do not adjust these as the distance is calibrated keep the second anode voltage from getting high enough to generate X-rays. Remove the grounding wire replace the housing and you should be good to go.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 15:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to follow what you wrote, but your style of writing is jumbled and confusing (not just here, but in every post, you're hard to understand on any day), and you introduce terms on their later occurrences in the text instead of on their first occurrence.

I am still not sure you actually made a clear point. If I have to check where the arcs are occurring, there will still only be one place and that will be the transformer? And I have to dismantle it and clean inside the transformer? You never said, just "replace the housing" -- what housing? You never told me to remove one! (I did try to clean out that transformer, though, and everything else that could reach with a brush)

You are trying to say that dust actually inside the transformer itself is to blame? And I can see arcs in there with the case on? (I'm about to leave the computer, so I'll see what arcs over so much when I switch it off (and on).)

I'm not confident enough to touch parts of a monitor from your directions alone! I have no clear way to check that there is no residual voltage anywhere, although I cut it very, very fine (or past fine) when I cleaned it before -- so I guess they don't hang around for a day like people claim with iMac monitors.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 16:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann____________________I have trouble reading my own posts my mind gets ahead of my typing speed.

1. Darken room with monitor on and operating, move so that you can see into the air vents, try to locate where the arcovers are happening.

2. Once you have a good idea of the location(s). If they are near the tube socket, take it to a pro. If they are coming from where the high voltage wire enters the tube, you will have to re clean, if they are occuring near the high voltage trans that may require inspection.

3. Turn off CPU that will drive the high voltage to max for a few seconds before it starts back down, were there more arcovers? Where?

4. Unplug monitor and CPU disconnect cable, go make tea I want the monitor to relax and discharge.

5. Now open the back and look for black tracks near or where you saw the arcovers. If the arcovers were on the tube near the socket, take it to a pro, if the arcovers were from the coils of wire on the tube neck take it to a pro.

6. If the arcovers were coming out of the transformer take it to a pro. If the red wire was leaking voltage and arcing to the frame that you can fix by rerouting and eletical tape. BEFORE YOU TAPE OR TOUCH THE RED WIRE. Take a piece of wire and run it from the frame and while lifting the rubber boot on the business end of the red wire with a plastic probe slowly tuck it under the boot, you may hear an arcover, at this time. The rubber boot covers a reverse spring clip that makes the connection. Do your rerouting. Now remove the grounding wire that you had installed replace the cover, and try the monitor.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 17:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK thanks. That said, when I power it on or off, it's stopped arcing :P D'oh. And since it's otherwise random, there's nothing to watch for. I'd have to arse about with a torch in the dark every time I switch it on or off in case it arcs ...

Probably time I threw it out and replaced it -- I have the NVIDIA Desktop software set to give the gamma a hefty boost to actually make out half of what's on the screen. But videos were still very dark ... I finally stopped cursing bad videos when I realised that the video overlay wasn't also boosted: I've boosted that separately too :)

I do like CRTs, though, but this model is a bit crap. We've already had another one of this model darken until it was unusable. The replacement one, a Philips, is wonderfully bright and clear.

The older CTX CRT on the Mac, while a bit disconvergent, is pretty sweet. It doesn't like being forced to do 1280x960 at 17", but I tax my equipment hard and it grudgingly complies. It will probably explode tomorrow.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 18:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann__________________There is nothing harder to find than an intermittant electrical problem. Usually when I went out on a trouble call I could watch the thing for hours no screw up, go to the restroom, come back and the operator says "where did you go it made nothing but bad parts while you were gone". "Now they are all good".

So were these directions better, I really slowed down and thought about what I wanted to write. If you did get it cleaned and the tube is going hard (old tv repair word) plan on replacing the monitor, it is getting so that a replacement is cheaper than repair.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 18:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disclaimer: I'm almost totally iggerant about electrickery.

I once fixed a monitor that had an intermittent arcing problem, by opening it up, visually identifying the charred bit of wire that was touching the hot thinggy near the back of the tube, and moving it so it didn't touch it any more.

YMMV.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 20:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You saw my pics, it looks visibly fine :) Nothing charred or hanging off or anything. It did arc when I turned it back on, but it won't do it if I do it in darkness :P

My aunt's PC has a horrible problem of just freezing completely randomly. Freezes in Windows, freezes in the BIOS and even when running memtest. Goodness knows what's causing that -- it's working fine at the moment though. She's too far away to just pop round and fiddle or, since I don't drive, for her son to drop it off here.

TheMoMan: I think I follow, thanks, but there's not a lot I can do until I can reproduce the problem :/

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2007 10:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being that monitors are so cheap now, take TheMoMan's advice, and s/take it to a pro/buy a new monitor/
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2007 14:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHEAP?? :P

Last I checked it was still 300 or so for a CRT, and that's without going for a nice aperture grille (though I've realised I can do just fine without that -- I was spoilt with my old Diamond Pro)

By replace, I mean get hold of another 5 second-hand one :) The Philips one was one of those, and it's great.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2007 15:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
CHEAP?? [Razz]

Last I checked it was still 300 or so for a CRT, and that's without going for a nice aperture grille (though I've realised I can do just fine without that -- I was spoilt with my old Diamond Pro)

By replace, I mean get hold of another 5 second-hand one [Smile] The Philips one was one of those, and it's great.

How friggin' big are you talking, for 300 quid? 24"? A good sized (~19+) LCD will go for that much, I should think.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2007 16:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking for a decent 19" I think. 17 was fine but I fancied a 19" since you can get a higher res for the same weight as my own 17" :) I hope I have space for it. The real reason for wanting 19" was because I tend to overtax my screens and 1152x864 is technically not allowed on a 17". Of our two identical monitors of this model, only one would sync to this resolution -- not mine -- so I swapped them over and took the one that would. My Mac's older CTX 17" syncs to 1280x960 at 75 Hz which is really impossible for a 17"! (Mine will only go to 60 Hz and is too fuzzy and small anyway). In fact, running a 17" at that res is bad as it damages the display of some images, but it's not generally a big deal. A 19" would give me a better quality image for the same res, or the ability to abuse it to an even higher res (although the Mac can't exceed 1280x1024 16-bit).

No I DO NOT WANT A FLAT SCREEN until anyone can PROVE they're as good as CRT. I need the proper display contrast of a CRT (black is black, white is white) and no contrast gradient down the screen vertically from viewing angle. TFT monitors only seem to come in varying degrees of suck. The new ultra black laptop TFTs have astonishing contrast well i excess of CRT at 90 degree vertical viewing angle, and grey, washed out contrast past that. I can't work like that -- I need a consistent image.

I've seen one of your precious Dell flat screens, but it had that alarming yellow tint that many flat screens have, which, again, sucks when it comes to graphics work. It's only one stop below retouching images on a dirty monitor ;)

Prices may have fallen since -- I was looking to replace my own screen when it had a horrible display fault, but it's long since cured itself of that, as monitors frequently do.

Flat screens also have a horrible problem of tying you to the hardware resolution, so I need to be 110% comfortable in advance with it since you can't drive them higher nor can you reduce the resolution for more readable text.

I want my 30" 600 dpi (virtually resolution independent) OLED flat panel with a window manager that can do concurrent virtual desktops to allow me to maximize/zoom within side-by-side workspaces on a single screen. A guy can dream? :)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture