homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » So I picked up a new server toy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I picked up a new server toy
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 10:09      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last weekend I managed to grab a Sun E450, dual 18G scsi drives, and what looks like 256M ram (acording to open boot), with 12 extra 9-10 G scsi HDs, a working DAT drive with 50 used tapes for 260 bucks [Smile] and the server boots, the next couple days are going to be fun. here's a link to a pic of three sitting side by side for the un-familiar:

http://www.uni-koeln.de/rrzk/systeme/bilder/server/450x3_gross.jpg

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 11:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm... hardware that looks like a washing machine. Tasty. For me, computers are like the ladies... I like'em biiig. [Wink]

It's not one of them three-phase jobbies, is it?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 16:45      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, regular 120V(or so) powers it just fine. almost silent when running Solaris, too [Big Grin]

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 18:41      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks sexy. Any plans on what to do with it?
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 21:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't that clash with your desk?

I'm sorry that I can't get terribly excited by this, but I play with much cooler tech on a daily basis. [Wink] I use a close approximation of a Dell version of that as a footrest at home. [Razz] It's also quite useful as a place to put my laptop.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 07:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does the apple juice box give it a power boost or something? [Confused] [Smile] [Confused]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 08:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
does the apple juice box give it a power boost or something? [Confused] [Smile] [Confused]

Haha...no...but it does help with ventilation and also lifts it to a better height for typing. Oh, and that's a somewhat dated photo...an iBook now lives there from time to time, and the Old Mac has been replaced with a new Old Mac. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 09:19      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kk, just making sure you didn't discover a way to give that laptop some extra juice.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 10:28      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton,

Looks pretty cool. What do you plan to do with it?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 22:53      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the moment it is going to sit there untill i find some casters for it, hopefully this weekend. Then it will move downstairs and replace my dying web server (because i'm going to use Linux for that, and linux doesn't controll the fans like Solaris does, so it sounds like a small jet engine). Long term, it will eventually become a decent machine for learning Solaris, after I proceed with my plans for improving my network, which starts when the tax return comes back [Smile] maybe i'll go visit rat shack for some high intensity LEDs and see about doing some small lighting mods once i'm done using it in a more serious server roll.

And no, dman, it won't clash with my desk. It is very hard to find a color that clashes with black. Now, if my desk was blaze orange, that might be diferent.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture