homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Essential software

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Essential software
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted November 02, 2006 04:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think are the essential programs in your collection, that you'd highly recommend? (and not the really obvious ones :)

For Mac OS X, as I've said, Namely, a program launcher that lets you run any program by typing a letter or two of its name. It's not LaunchBar, but it's free and does precisely what I wanted, since I was using Spotlight as a program launcher, and that's a lot slower.

For Windows, I am very fond of mp3DirectCut, a program that can crop, slice, fade, gain and even join (sort of) MP3s without any re-encoding. Great for trimming silence, extracting tunes from long livesets etc and no damage to the audio.

The mp3Cue Winamp plugin is pretty sweet too, for anyone who listens to electronic DJ sets, where it gives you a virtual playlist of a single MP3. Though you could do the same with an opera performance if you had one of those as a single MP3...

(I'd also list HTTP Werkzeug but that will have to wait until 1.3 goes public beta ;)

My runner up has to be the iCab Web browser. CSS support is very good as of iCab 3, but it's still got a lot of bugs to be resolved in the new internals before I can highly recommend it -- otherwise, it's a fantastic geek's browser with a vast array of ways to tame and control erratic and obnoxious pages and make the Web easier to stomach. This is one of my favourite features!)

IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 05:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panic's Transmit is a fantastic FTP client. I love it to bits. (OSX only)

My text editor of choice is SubEthaEdit, which I like for its simplicity and for the collaborative editing. I'd really like to get into TextMate, which is kinda the new coolness for web development (famous from that Rails video), but I couldn't get good at quickly enough... I ran out of time in the trial period, and I never got fast enough at it. I'll probably buy it some time and spend a few solid days forcing myself to work in it, cause by all accounts it makes text editing (especially SGML editing) really quick and easy, and those screencasts are really impressive.

I was looking for ages for a simple graphics editor that would let me scale, crop and compress images so that I didn't have to wait for Photoshop to load every time I wanted to upload a screenshot or something. I eventually ended up taking some of the features out of an example program on the Dev Tools called Reducer, and I was really excited when I found it. It does the job nicely. But if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be interested. Something nice and simple but effective. Not Graphic Converter.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 06:28      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xterm, bash, gcc, fluxbox, vi, make, etc... and lo, the Lord spake that *nix shall be thine saviour.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 07:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much the basic unix toolset does it for me. When I'm forced to use windows I require a minimum of vi, sh, ssh. The only think I use on all platforms is Skype. Purify is worth every penny, but it's still to expensive for personal use, so valgrind is a runner up. ngrep is essential for debugging network protocols.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 08:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camino, \LaTeX - still looking for the right text editor / front end though, GIMP, iTunes

quote:
I was looking for ages for a simple graphics editor... But if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be interested.
A friend of mine loves goldberg, though I've never used it.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 08:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Seashore, a Cocoa port of many features of the Gimp. It can't do everything the Gimp does, but it can do most of what I need, and is tidier than running Gimp.app & X11.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 09:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only non-standard app I've really become dependent on is Copernic Desktop Search for Windows at work. Its free and beat the pants off Google's desktop search at the time I compared them. With Copernic I can index any files I want, not just the ones with an extension Google knows about. Anyway, any "desktop" app that uses a browser as the primary interface is suspect in my book. Yes, I'm talking about you, Windows Software Update.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 12:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These apps may be a bit mainstream for the purposes of this discussion, but there are two little gems that I rely on a lot.....

MacJanitor for keeping everything running smoothly, and

Pic2Icon which makes little picture icons for all manner of file types.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 14:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maximile - might I point you towards LiveQuartz or Image Tricks both of which are free (though not Open Source) as well as the previously mentioned Seashore.

As for myself - at work I live and die by the Adobe Creative Suite and Suitcase font manager... (though if Extensis do any more to muck that up I am going to jump ship to the free Linotype FontExplorer)

Out of hours I'd have to say Fire and X-Chat Aqua though Skype with Video and aMSN are pretty handy to have around too.

Grummash - I prefer OnyX or its little sibling Maintenance from Titanium Software as they do more than the venerable MacJanitor

EDIT:

Guess I really should add ClamXav and a couple of little gems GMail Notifier (now Google Notifier) and Check Updates which is not totally free (it will check some stuff for free but if like me you want it to check hosts of stuff costs a piddling 6 or something) it is a bit fiddly to set up but I find it just soooo useful.

SpamSieve and Little Snitch are nice too but you have to buy them...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 15:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides some previously mentioned software:

Bitpim- for syncing information on my computer with my cellphone. The utility for creating ringtones is a nice touch, too.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 15:52      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irfanview

IconCoolEditor

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 16:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
xterm, bash, gcc, fluxbox, vi, make, etc... and lo, the Lord spake that *nix shall be thine saviour.

I'll second those.

I'm also surprised nobody's mentioned these:

python, perl, and ruby. In order of my preference and understanding.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 20:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and where would I be without ImageMagick's convert utility - a jolly useful thing indeed. And as LF mentioned - LaTeX - still the world's greatest wp tool - it makes my crap words look lovely. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 05:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To keep things running smoothly it's got to be Disk Warrior. I don't like to upgrade my OS, or hardware until I know Disk Warrior supports them, so I hope there will be a version for Intel Macs soon. Until the next big cat arrives, I also rely on SuperDuper! to keep my HD synced with an external firewire disk. I also like Nisus Writer Express for my WP needs, and their freeware Thesaurus is just about the only thing in the Services menu that actually gets used.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 09:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gimp, pine, image magick, grep, perl, sed, awk, bash, sort, uniq, ssh, less, cat, fvwm, firefox, xcalc, vim, rxvt-unicode
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 13:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bash, vi, gcc, thunderbird, firefox, and of course the excellent gcfm.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 13:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dnm - long time no see, hope everything is going ok

I have heard good things about Image Magik... but have not sampled it yet...

I have heard good thing about an Application called something like FotoMagic or similar... but I have forgotten the exact name...
I will ask them and get back to you all on that one

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 16:42      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.I guess some of these are from my classes but: AutoCAD 2006, @Last SketchUp 5, Dr. Scheme, SciTE, (Open)Office(.Org), ClamWin, Winpooch, Firefox, Spybot S&D, and (of all things + I swear they subcontracted) Windows Defender.

If you are looking for a AWESOME text editor look into SciTE!

PS: TurboIRC 6

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 17:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough* The idea is to explain what they're for and post a linkeh to them. And common stuff that everyone knows doesn't count, since .. we know about them. Like perl ... I meant this to be apps you reckon most people haven't found or heard of yet but are nevertheless really useful. Not everything you know people already know about and use. It's a share-the-knowledge, not state your preferences.
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 17:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uill: I'm afraid you run the risk of being caught out as being a rule-nazi here. [Wink] Let's let some of us *nix users rejoice in our glorious favorite apps/utils. We can surely still summon up some handy apps that are unknown...but let's not let that get in the way of a good old GC thread rambling. [Wink]

I've already linked to a less known app once, but I'll add another:
Smultron - A nice, open source, syntax-highlighting text editor for OS X (Cocoa). It's what I use when I'm /not/ using vim. [Razz] (Which is to say, ~5% or less of my text editing.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bpfx
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 6257

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 19:57      Profile for bpfx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I tend to stick to the basics. I've only used BSD based machines, mainly Free and Open for the past decade, and only recently started using a commercially developed OS as a desktop, OSX. For a desktop machine, I stick with mutt, firefox, openoffice, xmms, mplayer/[g]xine. For server's I stick with apache, postfix, MySQL, Cyrus. At work, it all depends on what machine I happen to be working on at the time, smitty on AIX, sam on HPUX, smc on Solaris, system-config/redhat-config on RHEL, and the standard tools, vi, bourne, grep, awk, ps, prstat, mpstat, vmstat, cat, more, less, etc...
Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 06:20      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably say Democracy on OS X, thanks to it I am now addicted to video podcasts.
Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 06:35      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run Win XP, and i could not live without the following:

Everest (Profiling tool for system, displays just about everything you will ever wnat to know about your system.)

Win Cleaner (A System cleaning utility that actualy works, cleans the registry, removes temp files etc...)

StyleXP

ATI tool (overclocking for GPU, and Graphics memory)

Winamp

Samurize (Customizable Graphical stats display)

- I think thats about it for the applets, that i use (you said not the obvious).

--------------------
Visit my site: -

http://www.splashtech.co.uk/natb

Posts: 171 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture