homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Apple history (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apple history
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 01:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A spontaneous discussion about old Macs in another part of the forum prompted me to Google Macintosh history. I came up with this site with which most of you are probably familiar. What amazed me as I went through the pictures in the timeline is the sheer number of Mac models I've used over the years. When I was in elementary school, I had no idea how young Apple was at that point. We thought these computers were from a company with history--like IBM--and never once thought about the youth of Apple.

Here's my list of Apples/Macs I've used over the years (all of which were either at school or work; my Pismo is the first Mac I've ever owned). What's yours?

Apple ][e
Macintosh 128k/512k
Apple //e Enhanced/Platinum
Macintosh Plus
Apple //gs
Macintosh SE & SE/30
Macintosh Classic
Macintosh IIsi
Macintosh LC
Macintosh Classic II
Macintosh LC II
Macintosh Color Classic
Macintosh LC 520
Power Macintosh 6100 (and up)

And then into the modern era of iMacs, G3s, and G4s. (Rather blasé so I shan't burden you with the laundry list.)

I used to want a PowerBook in the worst way. After Dad left, the Apple catalog still came to our house. I would pore through the pages, trying to decide which laptop I wanted most... and which was the most economical (the most bang for the buck, as it were). And boy, did I have a hard time making a decision when the 1400c came out and messed up all the calculations I made earlier! The Duo really intrigued me, so when I went to college and could only afford an IBM ThinkPad with a docking station holding the CD drive and the ethernet card, I wasn't freaked out about "that thing holding your computer hostage," as some people put it. Dad promised to buy me a computer, but he never did. Still a sore memory all these years later. [ohwell]

What're your (happy, sad, etc.) Mac-/Apple-related stories?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 02:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac OS was renowned for being so closed it's unusable. After I was given my first Mac (an old LC II that some bloke's company was tossing out) in 1997 or 98 (yep, bloody old Mac) I borrowed a stack of 17 cover discs from a friend at school and about the same amount from a cousin and just installed everything that worked. W00t for a 512 MB hard drive on a 1990 Mac.

I learnt so much about how Macs worked from that software and a copy of ResEdit than I'd ever worked out about Windows 3.11 in six years (and I still don't understand Windows, not that I suspect many people do ...) and I was so endeared with the pure simplicity and elegance of it that I migrated to a StarMax clone a couple of years later (replacing my more powerful (!) 486 although I'd replaced the LC with a IIvx by then -- no faster, but more colours). Mac OS 8.5.1 ... now 9.1.

I don't imagine my list of Macs owned is very interesting, it's the OS that made the difference for me.

Don't get me wrong, as I've grown to understand OS design more and more, I am very critical of Mac OS 9 too, but generally it just seems to be more self-consistent than X, and without all the hype. But why oh why, is there no columnar list box in the widget set?

The strange irony is that after being a really bad Mac zealot and Windows hater for years, I'm pretty happy running Windows 2000. The way your views change can really surprise you ... Though I now realise that flexibility and user choice are what are truly paramount and until any system offers this with any reliability there will never be a "perfect" GUI. X11's powerful abstraction is a start but the complete lack of standards ruins it.

As for the topic title, there is a charming collection of very stirring tales about the development of the Macintosh over on folklore.org, written by members of the Macintosh team. It is really, really well worth a read to get a feel for what went on during the creation of the Mac, although non-technical folk may want to skip the really nerdy ones!

IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 03:27      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was certainly into Macs from an early age. I think the first one I played with was a Classic... it had Kid Pix on it, and Shufflepuck Café. The first one we had at home was a Performa 6400, and then an iMac.

My school (age 8 - 13) had all Macs as well, and every Monday and Friday we'd have big AppleTalk games of Bolo.

Now, the only ones I use regularly are my MacBook Pro and another Classic (which I took apart and painted blue. I use it for playing old games).

And I agree with uilleann - folklore.org is a great collection. He's a great storyteller. I got the book.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 12:12      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first Mac was a Macintosh II, 16 MHz, 2MB RAM, 40MB SCSI HD, 800k single floppy, "dirty" 32-bit addressing, System 6.0.2, eventually upgraded to 6.0.8. My parents believed in positive reinforcement, I got the computer as an incentive to get my grades up, specifically the grade for "Uses time effectively" from N (needs improvement) to M (meets expectations) or E (exceeds expectations). I was in 4th grade at the time.

The second was a Performa 6200CD (ugh!), it came with System 7.5.3 and a built-in Comm slot 14.4kbps Teleport Gold modem. I've been on the Internet ever since.

Since then I've acquired (hopefully this list is all-inclusive, but I may forget a few): Mac IIci, Mac SE, Mac Classic, Mac IIfx, LC II, LC III, Quadra 700, PowerBook 160, PowerBook 520c, PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, iBook G3, PowerMac 8500, PowerMac 5200/75, LC 575, LC 630, Performa 6400CD, Beige G3 Desktop.... that's all I can remember off the top of my head. A real Mac-nut will notice that a good deal of those were education-only models... no comment there. [evil]

Allow me to note here that, of all the MacOSes I've used, good old System 7.5.3 was, and still is, my all-time favorite. It was bloody fast (MUCH faster than OSX) and ran on almost EVERY Mac model, from the Plus on up through the then-newest PowerMacs. It was compact, if you wanted it to be, (you could boot it off a 1.4MB floppy!), and even a fullly-loaded, fully-bloated install only took up about 45MB. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for a simpler time, when our OSes wern't just GUI patches covering up a scary command line.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 13:14      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, our first mac was a performa. I forget the exact model, but it had 16 megs of ram and like 200 MB of harddrive space, and maxed out at 256 colours.

It came with some really cool games, and then my parents found one that I still remember- it was like a Charlie Brown exploring video game. Not much to do , as I can remember, but there were all sorts of easter eggs that you could find, and there was one part of it where you could be the Red Baron and you had to fly into some things to acquire them (forget what they were, though). Anyways, it was just cool, and it got me interested in computers.

Come '98, we upgraded to an iMac, with a whole 4 gigabytes of harddrive space, and an ungodly amount of memory (something like 96 megs... far more than I'd ever encountered). We had that bad boy for a couple years, then we moved . In middle school, I acquired an interested in programming (my parents bought me a 'get started with c/c++' programming kit from MetroWerks). I was having trouble with it, and then in 8th grade I joined a computer club at school. The guy there said that if I was really interested in learning to program, I should learn how to use linux. I don't think he realized that I was on an iMac (by then I had acquired my own). At that time, support for macintosh hardware (especially on the video side of things) was pretty spotty. I still remember the feeling of triumph after I mastered the linux command line, got my modem working (via a series of echo commands to /dev/modem), configured X, and was good to go.

Entering highschool, I took some introductory programming classes, and they were still teaching pascal at that time. I got the GNU Pascal compiler to work so that I could test my programs at home, and I remember beginning a game that was similar to angband/moria/ToME, but never finishing it. Maybe it's still lying around here somewhere, since I don't even remember anything about pascal syntax.

After mastering linux on the iMac, my uncle told me that OS X was unix based, and so I could probably get my lnux programs to run on it. I almost pissed my pants when I heard this, because one thing I missed on linux was the Mac OS interface and the ability to play StarCraft (MoL notwithstanding).

I then upgraded to a Blue & White powermac G3 that originally came with a 400Mhz G3, but was upgraded using a Sonnet card to a 500Mhz G4. I installed OS X and OS 9 on that puppy alongside linux, and the rest is basically history. I spent lots of time tweaking the various compilers and other programs to work on that platform, I don't know why it was such a pain in the ass.

My current machine is an iMac G5 1.6Ghz w/ 1.25 Gb of memory. I haven't even tried to install linux on this box, because by now the fun and novel sensation of tweaking software to run under linux when building it yourself has long since worn off. Now I just use DarwinPorts and Fink to install pre-built debian packages. I still haven't learned how to properly program in an exclusively apple fashion; I never use the apple GUI, and the closest I've come to using Foundation and AppKit is through the PyObjC bridge.

I also have a 500Mhz G4 titanium laptop that I have kubuntu installed on. I only use it because it's portable, but I have wireless running (wireless support for Broadcom cards is spotty at best), but the battery life is horrible and the CMOS (or whatever the equivalent on an apple machine is) battery is dead, which means everytime I reboot I have to reset the date, which can be kind of annoying, since I have to reboot often to get the wireless card working.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 13:29      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, let me think...

In approximate order I have owned or worked on:
IIcx, SE Prodigy (basically an SE bumped up to SE/30), Quadra 800, IIFX and IIci, LCII, LCIII, LC475 (upgraded to the full 040 chip), PPC 7100 (about 4 of those I think), PPC 6200 (it wasn't that bad, pretty good at the time actually - upgrade crippled though), PPC 5200 (same), PPC 7200 (about 4 at one point), PPC 8100, Beige G3 266, G4 400 (several of), Powerbook 1400c, G5 2GHz DP, iMac G4 1.2GHz, iMac G5 1.8GHz, G3 iMac (selection of... currently have a Snowy 600MHz), iBook Clamshell 366 and 466MHz, White iBooks 1.2 and 1.4GHz, Intel Duo Core iMac and Jackie currently has a white MacBook 2GHz...

Of course working in Design and PrePress (as I do) I haven't owned all of those personally, though many of them became mine at the end of their working lives at a nominal fee. Also quite a few (particularly the 7200s and G3 iMacs) were bought cheaply and sold on (after a quick spruce up) at a small profit to people keen to get a computer but with no clue on where to start.

As for Mac OS I have used just about every flavour from 6.0.3 to 9.2.2 and 10.2.3 upwards - my probable favourites were 7.5.3r2 (lots of people had trouble with that one but it worked fine for me), 8.1 and Panther and Tiger (depending on the Hardware...)
7.6.1 is fantastic on old hardware but hard to come by - never got hold of it until 9.x was current but it is nearly as good as 8.1 for Macs that can't run 8+

[Big Grin]

Mac freak? Moi...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 13:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family purchased an Apple IIc when I was a kid. I used that for almost 10 years, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 13:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At school:
Mac SE
Mac LC
University:
Quadra - What an ugly thing!
Various imacs
Power mac G5 (once!)

Owned:
Cube - sold to Allan - are you lurking or lost to the beyond?
Mini

I was thinking about getting a RAM upgrade for the mini the other day. It makes more sense to save the money until I can afford a new mini.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 14:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
My family purchased an Apple IIc when I was a kid. I used that for almost 10 years, if I remember correctly.

My family also had the IIc. from 1984 till 1990 it was the main machine. We had a computer before our school did.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 15:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK: The command line is a good thing! :P

Operating systems thrive the more universal they are: the more people can use them, the more applications to which they can be put. More users, more sales, more software, and so on. Every extra programmer adds more wisdom and solutions (and goodies) to your pool of developers and software.

A GUI-only system is painful, very painful. Tasks that are one command away are often very tedious on a GUI. But by the same token, a CLI-only system is also very painful and of course, greatly lacking in flexibility.

The best system merges the two together so that the best tool is always there for the job, but Apple have not done this. Nor, really, have Microsoft. Some of the file browsers in X11 do a better job when it comes to file management though. Apple do have AppleScript which is a help but it's still very long for one-off tasks.

Actually one of my favourite commands is "killall Finder" to make it close safely and restart. This is because the CMM system in Mac OS X sucks and I have to restart the Finder to have it pick up a new module. AFAIK all you should have to do is this, in the installer script:

code:
tell app "System Events" to reload contextual menu modules

OK, end of rambling :P
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 19:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Operating systems thrive the more universal they are: the more people can use them, the more applications to which they can be put.

Hell yeah, uilleann.

Honestly OS X's *nix underpinnings are the only reason I was willing to take a serious look at Macs. Personally, I didn't have any love for OS9 and earlier, as it just didn't sit right with me. With OS X, I can do all the *nix things that I know and love, but also just work my way through a very usable GUI. Finder is great for copying my pictures off my memory card to my HD, but scp from bash is perfect for sending freshly created tarballs to other machines. (Cyberduck is alright, but nowhere near as fast and instinctive.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 19:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Dman's camp. I've been a desktop unix user since 1983. I had a windows (3.1) notebook around 1996, but I never replaced it when it died. When the iBook G4 came out, I got one because I knew it would "just work", and it would run unix, so I could actually job-related work on it. (Apologies to all the fussy types who point out the fine distinctions between the various unicies. For the kind of work I do, they are all the same.)
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 01:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
Every extra programmer adds more wisdom and solutions (and goodies) to your pool of developers and software.

Are you certain of that?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 03:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw Clippit!

I like Clippit. I do. He's cute, and he taught me loads of cool tricks about Excel, watching what I was doing and showing me how to do it more efficiently.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 09:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sick, sick man [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 09:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is perhaps unfair to even expect OSX to have the simplicity and elegance of OS 9. First a modern OS will always be just more complex, so the process of creating and building it is also correspondingly more difficult, so you are more likely to borrow what you think are the best solutions from other OS, rather than try to reinvent the wheel by designing every tool from the ground up, which you would have to do to achieve an OS 9 like consistency . Then it sits on top of Unix, an astonishingly complete and stable set of tools, but shapeless and baggy too, and lastly its creators were as influenced by their experience at NeXT as by the MacOS. Given that, I think it makes a pretty fair fist of attempting to give you a coherent and intuitive environment. It is still far from perfect of course, (my personal favourite for a complete overhaul and rethink is the Finder), but I also think, that given the problems Apple had before OSX, and Microsoft, a company with almost unlimited resources, is currently having in creating a new OS, that it is a pretty remarkable achievement, and worth the "hype", as uilleann calls it, that it has received.

The bottom line is how many people would would want to go back to OS 9. Next to none I think.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 13:34      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have in my home (hidden in various spots so my wife will not find them) a Mac Classic, PowerPC 7200, PowerMac 9600 and a G3 All-in-one. All still work (the 7200 was my web server until awhile ago).
I have in production an eMac, Powerbook G4 and a MacMini (serving as a media computer).

Still think back fondly to my first Mac experience - the Apple ][

Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 16:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Finder in my view has one overarching and heinous flaw: no pre-emptive authentication. Trying to access write-protected parts of the disc is not possible. For example, /Library/Contextual Menu Modules/. The system-supplied modules are blocked from being moved, renamed etc and the Finder dims all the menu items that would alter the files. (Addition of new files is permitted, as well as removal of ones you've taken out and put back in.)

The Terminal in Mac OS X for me mostly serves as a workaround to GUI inadequacies. "sudo mv" does wonders where the Finder cannot (the Finder only prompts for authentication if you are starting out with a file you have access rights to, and, say, dragging it into a protected folder).

"killall Finder" does wonders where the CMM system is not designed properly.

More than anything, I feel Mac OS X needs a managed installer service that lets you selectively remove installed software without having to dig around wondering where the files got to. Control Panels and Extensions from System 7 are trivial to tell anyone. By Mac OS 9 it got substantially more messed up, and by X we have not just more classifications (which is good but now you have to know so many more file type names) but more levels: users, all-users, root (/Library) and system (/System/Library).

I don't disagree with complexity, but Apple are still of the belief that System 7's drag-and-drop-to-configure,-then-reboot model is acceptable for a concurrent multi-user OS with more features than the System 7 team could ever have imagined or foreseen.

I am told that Windows's Add & Remove system is flaky ... Oddly, for me on every Windows PC I've ever used, it's been a dream. My palmtop also has a totally independent implementation of the same thing using my favourite, beloved SIS packages. My main criticism of Add/Remove is not the concept (it's wonderful) but that both Windows and EPOC just dump everything installed -- including every hotfix -- into one single list. A bit of crowbar separation, thank you! (props if you get the quote)

Mac OS X's complexity and feature level has overexceeded its ability to be usefully managed. Another flaw is that despite allowing users to run apps from anywhere on the drive, there's no designated place to store user apps. ~/Applications is as good a place as any, but Namely for example cannot be instructed to include other folders. Mac OS X is still trapped in the narrow view of a permissive system like 9 where you own the system. So is Windows for that matter, where the Start menu is another horrible nightmare and installers just don't get the idea of installing for one user.

I think possibly one of the most endearing aspects of X though is the double-buffering. The idea that an old G3 500 Mac can show a totally flicker-free screen is quite something. Even my own apps with absolutely zero attempt at off-screen buffering, are perfect in X.

I still think Mac OS X wins out more because of the slick GUI than anything, and Cocoa (developing for Mac OS is finally not a living nightmare).

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 17:20      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macs I've owned to date (including those owned jointly with my wife):
  • Macintosh IIsi
  • Macintosh LC 575
  • Power Macintosh 7600
  • Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White)
  • PowerBook G3 (Firewire)
  • Power Macintosh G4 (AGP)
  • Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
  • PowerBook G4
  • Power Macintosh G4 (QuickSilver)
  • PowerBook G4 (DVI)
  • Power Macintosh G4 (MDD)
  • PowerBook G4 (FW800)
  • Power Macintosh G5
  • MacBook Pro
  • Mac Pro
We used to keep two or three desktop machines around, plus a laptop for when we wanted to compute on the road (which was very rarely). Then I got my head on right, and ever since the FW800 PowerBooks came out we've been using them as our main machines with a lone desktop box to act as our server, stand by for heavier graphics work (which there isn't much of), and run the occasional game.

That's only the ones I've owned. The ones I've used are too numerous to mention; they run all the way back to the 512k Macs I used at the library back in my college days (which I liked a lot but could never afford to buy), through various types of Mac II that I used at work (the IIfx was my favorite, but I certainly couldn't afford to buy it either!), to (much more recently) various incarnations of the iMac and iBook (which I've helped friends set up and maintain, but would never buy for myself because I could afford better).

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 20:24      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ulleann said:"killall Finder" does wonders where the CMM system is not designed properly.
Is that different from option-right-click --> Relaunch on the Finder's dock icon?

What bothers me most about the Finder, at least as of 10.3.9, is that you can't easily set up persistent network shares, and that the Finder stops dead in its tracks for a virtual eternity if a computer you're connected to drops offline.

As far as the original topic goes - I believe my third grade teacher went through several Apple II and Macintosh models before settling on what I think must have been some Apple II variant. It was a long time ago and very fuzzy. It only stands out because every other computer in my elementary school was a TRS-80. In high school the "Computer Programming" lab had a bunch of fake Apple IIe's. They were black instead of beige and were manufactured by Bell & Howell (sp?), but they ran Apple ProDOS. I think the keyboards may have had open and closed bells instead of apples.

My first experience with a mac was an SE/30 at the WaldenSoftware I worked at in high school. At that time I thought DOS was the sh!t, Window's was the worst, most poorly implemented idea ever, and the Mac's only redeeming value was the ability to attach Star Trek sounds to virtually any action you wanted.

This was followed by my choice between Mac 512's in my dorm's computer lab, the "big green monsters" -- dumb terminals hooked to the campus unix system -- at the library, or the handful of Gateways running DOS, also at the library. The Gateways won.

Then I got a job at my college computer store, where the full range of Mac's all had color screens with comfortable chairs in front of them, and the two PCs were on tall stands with no stool or chair. Thus began my corruption.

The first Mac I actually owned was a used Duo 210, purchased with my meal plan money and a hefty employee discount from the campus computer store. Then:
  • A Performa 6116 -- probably the worst bang/buck of all I've owned, but still serving my father-in-law's AOL needs until recently
  • A PowerMac 7100/AV
  • An iMac DV (Purple) -- used to compose this very post
  • An iMac G4 -- MrsClub gets all the new stuff [ohwell]

We have our covetous eyes on the MacBook, but a refrigerator and digital SLR camera got in the way first.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 20:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK that is really sneaky ... bastards. A secret menu item...

"killall Finder" is actually *easier* to figure out, honestly. Now you see why I like the command like in Mac OS X ...

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 20:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coolest one is "killall Dock". Have you seen this one? (It probably belongs in the crazy screenshots thread).

Launch the Terminal, type "killall Dock" but don't press enter. Now shift click on a window's minimize button. Let it squeeze a bit and then press enter. It'll freeze in its current state, but here's the cool part: It'll still work! Click mapping is messed up, but everything else is as normal. It's awesome.

One of the oldest tricks in the OSX book, but definitely worth playing with. I find it looks coolest in Finder windows in column view, or in Quicktime movies (it still plays!).

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 21:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to do that the other day.

ssh 192.168.1.90 -l <username>
<password>

killall firefox
killall Terminal
killall Finder
reboot

Turns out the Firefox install was buggy. Just installed 2.0. I hope that will make things a bit better.

I know I should have just given up after Terminal. But I was hoping I could get it to respond without a reboot.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 21:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maximile: So, if I could script a command to minimise every window in an app -- or on screen -- at once, that would be awesome. Except AppleScript is nasty. I need to try finding how one goes about minimising a window in a script. I certainly can't record it though ...
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 21:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me tries holding down option while clicking minimize...

Hey! It worked! Only within an app though.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture