homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » So glad to be home...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So glad to be home...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted July 15, 2006 15:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a brief period, my old Packard Bell 486 is set up again downstairs while my brother-in-law is over. I've not had it running in maybe a year or more, and it feels like coming home again. I miss that machine and I still love it.

-

I've made sure to take lots of pictures, and I definitely need to take some more (and I am open to requests).

The CMOS battery is dead, and when I set the clock from 1993 (the default) to 2006 in the BIOS it decided to go with 1980 instead, and it wasn't until my sort order came out wrong in File Manager that I realised that new files were getting dates that predate the OS! Fortunately DOS is Y2K-compliant and it let me reset the date to 2006.

Seven years, I ran that box, and the mad customisation shows, including the symbol you saw as my avatar, as the Windows 3.11 boot screen. One day, I need to put that box on the Internet, before something truly tragic happens like the hard drive dies.

I was explaining to someone recently, I forget who, about the need to register window classes in Windows 3. I now have the pictures to demonstrate! So here we go:

Classical CTL3D:
 -

CTL3DV2:
 -

BWCC - Borland Windows Custom Controls
 -

And no matter how good OPL3 emulator software is, nothing quite beats the beautiful warmth and purity of a real OPL3 chip [hearts]

IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 04:03      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's nice to see [Smile]

Loving the dalek!

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 07:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I feel old. :S
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture