homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Detox, anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detox, anyone?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 14:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A detox clinic in the Netherlands is opening to help people kick the habit... of playing video games.

Here's the story.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 15:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"We have kids who don't know how to communicate with people face-to-face because they've spent the last three years talking to somebody in Korea through a computer," Bakker said. "Their social network has completely disappeared."

whats wrong with talking to someone from korea? i've learned so much from just talking to people around the world through video games.

but good program though, i know some people who can't put the controller down

plus i'm dutch, so go Netherlands!!!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 15:28      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned some of my best trash talking skills from games like UT2K4 and Halo2. On top of that, it is a great to be able to sit down with the guys and Halo-it-up so to speak.

Outstanding networking tool, if used correctly.

"You never truely know someone till you frag 'em"

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 16:15      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I've learned some of my best trash talking skills from games like UT2K4 and Halo2. On top of that, it is a great to be able to sit down with the guys and Halo-it-up so to speak.

I never did like trash talk much. Quite a few of the people on XBox Live just annoyed me, so I let my subscription lapse.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 19:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:

I never did like trash talk much. Quite a few of the people on XBox Live just annoyed me, so I let my subscription lapse.
Its only fun with someone you know
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 12:50      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Symptoms of addiction are easy to spot, Bakker says. Parents should take notice if a child neglects usual activities, spends several hours at a time with the computer and has no social life.
Errr, well if you change the word 'child' for 'person' I think that describes most computer geeks, well I know that it pretty well describes me. [Eek!]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 13:12      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
quote:
Symptoms of addiction are easy to spot, Bakker says. Parents should take notice if a child neglects usual activities, spends several hours at a time with the computer and has no social life.
Errr, well if you change the word 'child' for 'person' I think that describes most computer geeks, well I know that it pretty well describes me. [Eek!]
Swiss, We are still going to reffer to you as a child.

I won't grow up, Ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever .......

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 18:38      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted an article about that on one of my sites a while back .

Also last year I did a short essay on Super Nintendo, lol, and was suprised at all of the health warnings.

*edit*
I know the article^ is not about the original topic.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 03:12      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 03:14      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would be a lot more worried about peoples eye-sight, sat in front of computers that much, than there social life.

I would be worried about an agraphobics social life, but most "addictivie" gamers have to interact with other on a daily basis, so personally I shouldnt have thourght that their social life is going to damaged by playing on games.

Very interesting article though, I would never have thourgh there would be this much attention shed on the matter, only my mum telling me too get of the computer.

Detox?: - Its not heroin! [crazy]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture