homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Where are the PC discussions? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where are the PC discussions?
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 20:24      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one topic, originally about a Mac, now not even talking about computers. -_-

I haven't been giving much TLC to my PC lately, but since I buffed him out last year there's no need to buff him out again for a while.

Currently running a 17" LCD with a wireless keyboard and mouse using a 560W 5.1 speaker system with a black anodized aluminum case that is housing a 16x DVD writer, an Athlon 64 3200+ running overclocked at 4000+ speeds, 2GB of DDR400 memory, and 7800GT all on an Nforce 4 Ultra. I've got 240GB to store all the anime I download.

What're your setups?

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 20:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, really, the only setup that's good for anything is a bit of a misnomer: The garbage setup is actually a maraschino cherry and a slice of orange on a skewer. Rather tasty, especially soaked with rum. Or so I've heard.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 21:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, I have my little PII 333 PC here. A certain person from these here boards called round recently, saw its twin downstairs (sort of, that one is 400 MHz) and asked me if it was a 486! (or did he say 386? except that would be even worse!) OK, so a snazzy blue CD rewriter looks a tad out of place in a 486, but this thing is huge, waaay oversized case. (By comparison, my real 486 looks about half the size)

I'm resisting all demands to upgrade it, I can't really throw out my PII, even if it's completely screwed up.

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 21:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been handing out computer parts like candy lately, so I'm down to two functional PCs.

The first is a aging 1.2GHz Althon XP with a 1GB of ram and 120GB of disk space. I couldn't tell you the video card, off hand. Some older ATI model.

The other is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with 1.5GB of ram and 80GB disk space and a 1920 x 1200 widescreen display built in. The secondary monitor is hooked up to a Sharp 23" wide screen LCD TV which gives me an additional 1360 x 768 of desktop.

Neither is particularly thrilling for gaming, but they allow me to do what I want.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 04:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mochan____________________As you go through life you will find that external things like Computers, Cars and Sound systems are just what they are, tools to get a job done. Yes I like my setup, but it just works and I use it as a tool. It is not my identity.
To say that I love it, no. Now My Wife and kids thats where my love is.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 10:39            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of truth in that even for a SSB like myself. I don't stock up on iCandy, I don't blow a fortune on pointless goodies and nor do I do case mods (all plain beige boxes here for me except the snazzy blue CD rewriter) -- I go with what works the best and involves the least cost, effort and disruption to achieve :)

The need for no speed is to keep me in touch with reality; I can't do numbers but I know that if it's too slow on a PC like mine, the program is broken. (Video codecs excepted, they're a menace ;)

IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 11:19      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go for functionality. When purchasing a new computer I have too look at a lot of things. My job keeps me on the road and my computer has to come with me just about everywhere, untill they get me one of them sweet little blackberry's tied into our network.

With constant need for travel, I have been with laptops for a while, however with all the gear that I have to take with me, the smallest laptop is usually the best for me and given the nature of my field of work, something durable is a must.

I've had one of those 10" Dell lappys but their screens are bad. Too much presure and the crystall gell casing will crack and your gell will run and you need a new screen.

I currently have an Averatec 1000 10.3", weighs less than 3lbs and has lasted me a tour in iraq but is on it's last legs now.

there is a good possibility that this will be my next investment.

I agree with MoMan, my computers are tools.

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 12:05      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My computer isn't anything fancy either... I have a few "toys" But nothing that isn't justified. The computer is 4 or 5 years old -- when I bought it I was in a job that paid a bit more than what I'm used to now. I splurged then for a 1.2 GHz processor (it wasn't the fastest then, but almost), and knew it'd be a while before the next mobo upgrade.

Since, I was forced to repalce the disk because the old one died. I bought a PVR card, a DVD-RW (does +, - and DL) and two larger hard drives. It runs perfectly fine for me, but DA complains about it being "slow" -- then again she has a new Dell and her computer isn't running any services and isn't sharing the network connection.

The case was replaced with my cousin's old case (which was only a year or so old), when she got a new one for Xmass. The case looks great, and has plenty of bays for the future.

If I had the spending money, I'd upgrade the motherboard, processor and memory. Currently running 512MB PC133 RAM, so my bottle neck is RAM.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 12:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCs (Linux machines) are not very healthy of late, and like the shoemaker with no shoes, I haven't bothered to heal them. My primary machine (on which I'm composing this [and watching Kill Bill - credits @ present]) is my Mac mini. My secondary is an iBook G4 from work which I rather like dearly.

My Thinkpad is getting on in age, and needs a proper disassembly, dusting, new HD & optical drive. My server/workstation is also a bit old (PIII/667) and badly needs a new CPU fan, if not a new mobo/chip.

I also have an old PC (my PC from '97) and 2 tertiary laptops (both gifts from friends): one is my portable TTY, and the second may take over that role or just act as a spare workstation.

I'm debating whether I should really bother to spend any money on computer hardware, as I'm getting by just fine - this Mini serves me quite well: 17" LCD (Dell 1704FPV), 80 GB USB 2 external HD, Superdrive... what more could I need? I'm not a gamer, so I'm quite happy with it. The only real deficiency is that I don't have any Linux machines around here, and I definitely miss that. Presently I can't bring myself to reload my PPC mini with a dual boot setup, but I am considering it - the thing I like so much about it w/OS X is how I can put it to sleep and wake it almost immediately. Dual booting might *gasp* involve shutting it off or rebooting it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 13:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In true wishy-washy liberal fashion, I am going to stand up and admit that I can see both sides here! [ohwell]

I agree fully with JaceRaven and TheMoMan - my computer is a tool I use to do certain jobs, and on that level I can't honestly say that I love it.

On the other hand, I do understand from experience that the best tools (all the way from tools of the "wooden end/sharp metal end" variety upwards) have an elegant simplicity that marks them out as, well... just right.

And on that level, I feel a certain fondness for my 15" flat-panel G4 iMac (running Jaguar) - it is very lovely, very reliable, and I haven't seen a PC yet that I would swap it for. [hearts]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 15:22      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think if you are anyone who just loves computers or anything computer related. Then your computer is your gateway into that life of happiness where you can spend endless hours peeled to that sexy screen without a care in the world for the real world.

I don't know what i would do without my micro axess pc with athlon 64 3400+ processor and 1 gig of ram, 200 gig hard drive, benQ 17" screen.

Hey man computers are cool now !!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 16:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it could be stevenback. But to me a computer is a mighty fine tool that aids me in accomplishing certain goals.

So I am pretty much ok with my HP Vectra VL400MT. It has a nice CD burner and a few little extras I have added. But all in all it is far from an "Oooh neat," machine.

But it is rarely turned off. Pretty much reliable, unless I mess with it, and does what I want it to do, when I need it to do it.

Flashy computers seem the same as flashy cars, to me. The need to compensate for a lack in some area.

Perhaps, considering the inordinate amount of male computer geeks, perhaps computer show-off==penis envy.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 16:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now.

Lets see.

My desktop that I'm typing this on is a dual p3-450 with a pair of hardware raided (raid1) 72gb scsi drives, 1gb of ram, and a geforce 4 something.

My firewall/gateway box is a dual p1/166 non-mmx.

My nfs server is an amd k6-2/500.

I have a windows xp box somewhere that hasn't been hooked up in quite some time. It's a amd athlon 1.something. I forget.

I also have computer parts littered around my house from pentium 1 boards with chips all the way up to pentium 4 server boards. When I get some time (half past never) I'll actually make 4 decent systems to use out of the parts, and scrap/recycle/sell/whatever the old parts.

I've been planning to do that for almost a year now, so who the hell knows when I'll get ot it.

Anyway, the 3 computers downstairs are all hooked up to a 4 port iogear kvm which has a 50' set of kvm cables on it, running up through the walls out of my basement and into the living room where there is no computers, just my 19" widescreen lcd, and logitech wireless kb & mouse.

It's simple, elegant, and I get shit done.

edit: Oh yea, and how did I forget amanda's 233mhz imac, her 400mhz pismo, and my blazingly fast 700mhz ibm thinkpad laptop. Its battery is shot, its case is 1 step away from dead, but the fscker just keeps on running.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 17:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wait... I forgot that I still have one of these around here somewhere. I wrote my first "Hello World" program in basic on it [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 12:25      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enhanced Micro Designs
Corsair Custom A64 JG-R5-3400+

With 1 Gig DDR 400
8xAGP nVidia GeForce FX 6200 256mb
With 3 WD800JD SE drives
A Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
and a (currently Removed) Promise SX-4m
Oh and A DVD-Rom
and a DVD+-RW DL

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 15:57      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could care less about how hardware looks; however, I do think that there is certain 'beautiful' software, and because of this philosophy, I love my iMac and my linux box.

I consider programming an art; to that end, my canvas is a massive conglomeration of copper, gold, silicon, and plastic which constitutes my computer, and my keyboard is my brush. I think Mac OS X is beautiful because it 'just works'; I feel so at ease in this environment because of how beautifully designed it is. Most of the time, I don't even use my mouse for doing work- command-tab to switch apps, command-tilde to switch windows, F9 to reveal all windows, etc etc.

I also feel at home on my linux machine, because the only way to access it is via ssh. The shell is an inherently versatile piece of software that allows you to do almost anything you could ever want using pipes and redirections; combine the shell with vim, and you really have all the control you could ever want.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 16:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me a n00b if you want but i just discovered the fun/joy of using ssh tunneling to run vnc from a Mac at work to a Mac at home...

Took me a little while to make it work because all the instructions I had at first seemed to leave out one or other vital piece of information on the assumption that you "knew that"

Once I had gathered enough pieces to put the jigsaw together and dumped most of the "helpful" gui tools (though max plus points for SSH Helper for just doing what it says on the tin...) I figured out the correct order (with google help) to put the "simple" ssh commands into Terminal and how to get vnc to use the ssh tunnel and bingo ...

Special note to Tut-an Geek - now I know what you meant about Port 22....!!!! [Big Grin]

Oh yes... G5 1.8MHz iMac, 2x G4 iBooks (1.2 and 1.33 GHz) and a 466MHz Clamshell in use right now at home... (G5 DP towers and one intel iMac at work... Loads of other older Macs stacked up doing very little... Anyone interested in old Apple junk (errrr interesting and historic Macs)? PM me if you are really interested...
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 17:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nwnf: *Ahem* "could not care less."

Serenak: Glad you've come to see the light. I can't begin to say how much I love SSH and its tunnelling abilities - I use them to do ridiculously cool/handy things. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 17:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ... mean ... your ....sy .. system ... i ... i ... is ... not ... based on a Mac?

I've heard about people like you. Mom used to threaten us at supper, "Eat all your carrots, there are people using Wintels who are starving right now."

Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and Final Cut Studio are the software programs that pay the bills around here.

I upgrade between laptop and desktop every couple of years.

Wi-Fi transmitter on the basement floor keeps those connections strong in the house but they don't go six inches past the foundation. There are a lot of other simple security tricks I use to keep the network secure, but I don't share them.

There are four Macs at the house right now, all doing different stuff.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 20:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the "computer = tool" camp. At home I have a PC that was a $500 custom job. I bought the parts, my bf at the time put it together. The peripherals were cannibalized form the system I was replacing. Of those peripherals, all that's left of the original is the printer and that's just because I'm too lazy to replace it (it's very easy and costs me nothing to just port stuff over to a computer at work, either by e-mail or sneakernet). The PC itself ahs been upgraded and tweaked a bit since it was built. It's a Duron 600, 20 gig hd running windows XP, 3 gig hd running Linux, can't remember how much RAM. Since it was built I replaced a Zip drive with that second hd (well, correction, dman did that while I watched [Razz] ), and acquired a DVD drive and replaced my CD drive with a CD-RW. Because I like to be quirky, I never did install a modem. The graphics and sound cards are the same ones I bought in 2000. Orginally I was running ME. Then ME kinda blew up in my face one summer and I switched to XP. So, in a nutshell, my machine is pushing 6 years old and it shows. But it does what I need it to do at home, mainly surfing, word-processing, MP3-playing, and playing DVDs (I have just barely enough juice for that). I suppose if I decide I want to upgrade completely I'll get a Mac Mini. There's a point at which dealing with Windows just gets annoying.

At work my needs for computation power range from roughly what I need at home to pretty fscking high and I use whatever's got the juice and the programs I need, which means on any given day I'm using a Mac, a PC, or a SGI. Sometimes, all three at once. Those are the days are fun in the way only excessive multi-tasking can be. There's a Pismo my boss decided to keep on my desk that I use for really lightweight stuff (theoretically, because I have a key to the lock, I'm allowed to take it home, but it's really not mine so I don't). The rest gets done on our more hardcore machines.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 09:00      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Grummash on this one.

I have my computers built for work and I have my computers built for fun and uses are separated by device. Like several of you, I'm in the position to get a lot of freebies and orphans. I try to keep on top of the pile and use what I can and build/give away what I can't.

Currently in use:

My work box (at work) is a fast P4 designed for graphics (Adobe cs2, SketchUp, and a little bit of CAD).

At Home:
P4 3.4/2 GB RAM/256 MB ATI - for Games
2 - P4 2.0/1 GB/ - XP Media Centers in place of TVs
2 - AMD 1.8s for Web and File servers
P3 800 Ubuntu Linux box
Dell Inspiron 8000 P3 933 Laptop - XP
Dell Inspiron 5000 P3 5Something Laptop - Ubuntu
All networked via hardwire and wifi

TdG

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 19:15      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinkpad T60 (ended up buying it instead of a Macbook) and a custom-built desktop (P4 3.2, Radeon X800, a gig of RAM, Audigy 2 and a couple of hugh jass hard drives) - nothing too fancy. The latter hasen't been getting much use lately, other than occasional messing around in Photoshop or SoundForge - I can't even remember the last time I played any sort of computer game.

PS: Wonder how Lenovo solved the overheating issue - the bottom of the Thinkpad feels barely warm, while the Macbook is always scorching hot.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 02:40      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, people don't seem too enthusiastic about PCs here. =_=

And almost no other gamers on this board it seems. Only three others I've seen so far in this thread who seem to be gamers.

My PC is a tool... and a gaming machine.

quote:
CommanderShroom
Flashy computers seem the same as flashy cars, to me. The need to compensate for a lack in some area.

No....

Flashy Computers are not some flashy car to pick chicks up with. If that were true, I'd be drowning in the babes. For me, "flashy" computers are to play the most demanding games, and are not a status symbol.

Don't knock my world if you don't understand it. My PC ain't some penis envy symbol. Though you'd know more about that than me, right?

You need hefty power to play today's games, heck my PC is already chugging to play the newer stuff coming out this year. I buff it up not to show off, but to make sure I can still play today's games.

I guess it's not something someone who only ever runs Office, Firefox, Nero and Winamp can understand.

As Tirthas said, each PC has a purpose. My gaming PC is buffed up because it needs to be buffed up. My utilit PC has the hardware in it needed to do what it needs to do. It's not about showing off or anything like that. I created this as a thread to show my passion for PCs, but it seems a lot of you people are seeing it as a "show off" thread.

If all I ever needed was a utility tool, I'd put together a box 1/4th or so the price you guys are paying for your overpiced HP Vectras and iMacs... and I do have one put together for my parents as a browsing/surfing/typing/spreadsheeting/jukebox/etc tool. Cost me $190 sometime last year to put it together and it runs mighty fine for its purpose. It's a 1.2Ghz Celeron with 512MB PC2100 RAM using the onboard video of its mobo. It runs very quiet because it doesn't need monster hardware running delta fans that sound like a carpet bomber. I still got a sleek black casing to complement the black 14" monitor it has, it's always nice not to have an eyesore in your bedroom.

If I had posted this PC, would I be getting any of this penis-envy crap?

Just because you guys don't know how to put a good box together for a specific purpose, don't knock me and my passion for building PCs.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 07, 2006 06:14      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow Mochan...

You are such a hardware god... and have a really masochistic streak it seems... Do you really think bad mouthing the regulars here will get you any respect?

There are posters here who have been building PCs since you were in nappies (diapers) I would venture to guess.

Great - you have a "buffed" up gaming PC, good for you and you built it yourself, even better. We are glad it makes you happy.

We have our own machines in a variety of makes, types and specifications which tend to make us happy and on the whole we all just leave it at that... this week's super Pick of the Crop PC is next year's legacy hardware so there is no point crowing...

Anyway having said that I am off to get my flak jacket, asbestos overalls and kevlar helmet before the flaming begins...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Oh wow Mochan...

You are such a hardware god... and have a really masochistic streak it seems... Do you really think bad mouthing the regulars here will get you any respect?

There are posters here who have been building PCs since you were in nappies (diapers) I would venture to guess.

Great - you have a "buffed" up gaming PC, good for you and you built it yourself, even better. We are glad it makes you happy.

We have our own machines in a variety of makes, types and specifications which tend to make us happy and on the whole we all just leave it at that... this week's super Pick of the Crop PC is next year's legacy hardware so there is no point crowing...

Anyway having said that I am off to get my flak jacket, asbestos overalls and kevlar helmet before the flaming begins...

I agree. I used to overclock and upgrade and name my machine. It's just not worth it anymore. I don't suggest using an old 486, but as long as your computer does it's job, there's no need in spending the money. htis is not an anti-geek posistion. Its a geeks need for efficiency in everything.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture