homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » microsoft office uninstall on Macs HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: microsoft office uninstall on Macs HELP!
Found Sounds
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4997

Icon 2 posted March 21, 2006 10:20      Profile for Found Sounds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - My iMac has suddenly decided to stop opening word files. I am trying to uninstall microsoft office X and install microsoft office 2004 (I currently run 10.3.9) I have none of the original install/uninstall discs for office X. but I do have the install CD for office 2004.

Please help. I am going slowly out of my mind.

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 10:34      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an admin user, at the terminal (DON'T REALLY DO THIS):

cd \
rm -rf *

-

That said, what happens when you try to uninstall MS Office X without the disks?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 10:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

cd \
rm -rf *

The / is the wrong way.

If you enter \, your shell will think you're escaping something and await the next character (which will be an enter key)

So it will think you're trying to cd to the "<CR>rm" directory", which won't exist, and will return a dir not found error:

code:
$ cd \
> rm -f *
-bash: cd: rm: No such file or directory

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 13:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing that comes to my mind: does it stop opening all and any word files, or did you only try to open word files created with Office X (or other version more recent than 2004)? In the latter case, it's pretty much normal. For all I know, MS is rarely fully backward compatible, so don't ask its products to be forward-compatible!

Ok, that obvious comment aside, make a search on your computer for anything MS, Office, Word, etc., and pay special attention to documents looking like preferences and settings. Examine them, and delete those that are really related to Office X, along with the Office X application (or move them somewhere else, compress them, or anything that would render them inoperant while still existing, if you want to err on the safety side), then try installing Office 2004 again.

(The nice things about Mac has always been that you don't need (or very rarely) to use an uninstaller, just throw out the application, and you're done. But MS doesn't like simplicity, and even though I have heard that their Mac versions have improved with their Mac BU, I can't help but distrust them.)

In any case, good luck.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 13:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TextEdit will open Word .doc files.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 13:42      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found Sounds

I have Office X on my G4 iMac: in the applications folder there is an uninstaller icon -
 -

Have you lost this icon? If so perhaps you could re-install Office X and then run this uninstaller??

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 14:40      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Go to Applications folder
2. Select Microsoft Office X
3. Drag to trash
4. Profit

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture