homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Why I love my computer.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I love my computer.
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 19:09      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my computer because it is a modern marvel of engineering and recycling.

It is a shuttle XPC that has to run topless, or crash from overheat.

She is putting out for 3 monitors, but I'll be doing 4 in March.

I suppose I love it so much, because it just works so well. It was a bargain computer ($600) two years ago when I built her, but she plays half life, and I can photoshop, Google Earth, and watch cartoons all at once. I just add to her when free things come along. Her videocard heatsink is wired together with tape, and her secondary videocard forgets to refresh every few minutes.

She isn't anything incredible, but she's really very special to me.

Lemmle, I love you.
Until Something faster comes along.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99
www.heroseekingvigilante.blogspot.com

Posts: 48 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 21:35      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Frankencomputer I did everything with [hearts] . Nothing fit together right, but everything worked together right [Big Grin] .

The floppy drive came from a computer that had a molded face plate, and I shoved it in there, but since it had a molded piece too, it stuck out. The CD-ROM also came from a computer with a molded piece, so it fit in awkwardly.

The network card, for some reason, had to be taken out and snapped back in any time the computer was moved around (that's still a mystery to me).

There were some other things. . . but those were the quirkiest parts of my computer [Big Grin] .

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 00:38      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah those are the memories we end up cherishing.

I remember my first car... a 5 speed Jetta. The Alternator went Bad, and I didn't wnat to part with my car to get it fixed. so for a whole summer, I had to have my friends push start it.

But it was the best summer of my youth.

Now I am a bitter old man (23), and one day I will say "that was the best summer of my life. Now you Goddamn kids, get off my lawn."

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 03, 2006 08:53      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mommy built my frankencomputer out of old parts of the computers from her office.

I like it because it's in the basement and most of it's memory is taken up by random photos that make me smile and songs. It has an internet connection too and that's all I need to be happy. Oh the nights spent whiling away the hours on newgrounds and listening to angry young white boys...

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 09:51      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
My mommy built my frankencomputer out of old parts of the computers from her office.

I like it because it's in the basement and most of it's memory is taken up by random photos that make me smile and songs. It has an internet connection too and that's all I need to be happy. Oh the nights spent whiling away the hours on newgrounds and listening to angry young white boys...

That's what it's all about [Big Grin] !

Mine was dual booted with Linux and Windows 98. There wasn't anything that I couldn't do. . . or at least for what I'm interested in (I couldn't do much gaming, but I'm not a gamer, so it wasn't a problem. . . it only had a 7GB hard drive).

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 03, 2006 14:23      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many good memories. I rebuilt a 486dx 6years ago (2x512mb WD HDDs, VLB/ISA architechure... PC-DOS 6.3/Win 3.11, 1x3.5" FDD, 1x5.25"FDD) that was AWESOME (now thrown out). Also I have 2 PII 350s as servers, A soon to be resurected Compaq 4090 us for a server and a EMD A64 3400+/R5 as my current desktop.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 16:35      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was an original bondi-blue iMac, 233Mhz with 96 Mb of memory.

Five years ago, in the eighth grade, I joined the 'computer programming club' at school. It turned out to just be scripting stupid little computer games, and since I was interested in something more, the guy there told me I might be interested in linux. So what did I do? I went home and tried to install debian (potato, methinks) on my iMac. Luckily, I managed to back up the harddrive before I installed debian, so I could restore my data later. I couldn't get X11 to work, and having had no previous experience with anything that advanced, I was forced to learn everything via the command-line. And now, I simply die when I can't have a shell in which to do my programming/administering/gaming (angband rocks my socks).

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 10:25      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
My first computer was an original bondi-blue iMac, 233Mhz with 96 Mb of memory.

Five years ago, in the eighth grade, I joined the 'computer programming club' at school. It turned out to just be scripting stupid little computer games, and since I was interested in something more, the guy there told me I might be interested in linux. So what did I do? I went home and tried to install debian (potato, methinks) on my iMac. Luckily, I managed to back up the harddrive before I installed debian, so I could restore my data later. I couldn't get X11 to work, and having had no previous experience with anything that advanced, I was forced to learn everything via the command-line. And now, I simply die when I can't have a shell in which to do my programming/administering/gaming (angband rocks my socks).

Something similar happened to me to make me learn to use command-line, except my desktop didn't install properly because I ran out of disk space.

I grew to love it because you do so many cool things with it, and sometimes it's quicker to work with than the desktop (it's tasks seem to have a higher priority).

Occasionally, I'll be on Windows and trying to code (I use gcc. . . I didn't want to bother with MS Visual C). So, I'll be working with MS-DOS, and forget where I'm at and try suspending jobs and use vim (I used to have a copy for MS-DOS, but wound up getting rid of it), and find commands such as "ls -la" don't work.

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 00:11      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys are cooler than me.

I stopped usning command line interface when windows 95 came out. Now I'm all about the copy paste.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 00:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CloneArmyCommander:
Occasionally, I'll be on Windows and trying to code (I use gcc. . . I didn't want to bother with MS Visual C). So, I'll be working with MS-DOS, and forget where I'm at and try suspending jobs and use vim (I used to have a copy for MS-DOS, but wound up getting rid of it), and find commands such as "ls -la" don't work.

Cygwin is your friend.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 08:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam:
ah those are the memories we end up cherishing.

I remember my first car... a 5 speed Jetta. The Alternator went Bad, and I didn't wnat to part with my car to get it fixed. so for a whole summer, I had to have my friends push start it.

But it was the best summer of my youth.

Now I am a bitter old man (23), and one day I will say "that was the best summer of my life. Now you Goddamn kids, get off my lawn."

A) My '63 Volkswagen Bug had a zapped generator. Push starting it alone in traffic in the Chicago area scared the hell out of me, but looking back, it makes for some funny stories to tell.

B) I was 19 and it was not the 'best' summer of my youth, but it was very memorable.

C) What are you waiting for? Tell those kids to get off your lawn now, while you're still young enough to offer them the thrill of a good chase.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 11:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Cygwin is your friend.
unixkit-tiny is also quite handy, and doesn't need any installation. This thing has made me a very happy dragon. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 21:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Cygwin is your friend.
Or if you've got plenty of RAM, run a full copy of Linux within VMWare player, which is free (as in beer). Google on using QEMU to set up the initial image, then just install Linux as you normally would.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 17:07      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definitely cooler than me.

But fill me in. As a Slave to the GUI, what benefits would I get to using a command line interface?

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 17:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
definitely cooler than me.

But fill me in. As a Slave to the GUI, what benefits would I get to using a command line interface?

IMO, if you need to ask, probably none [Razz]

It's not so much a command line interface thing as a Unix philosophy thing. It's not the command line itself, but the fact that you can string a whole bunch of simple commands together to do powerful things really easily once you grasp how they work. Appeals to the "do it yourselfers", as you can get something to work exactly as you want it to.

However, I'd contend that there's enough software out there right now that there's probably a GUI equivalent for most command line tasks. So it really comes down to "I need to do semi complex task X, can I work out a way to script it via the command line?" versus "I need to do semi complex task X, someone must have encountered this before, has someone written a program to do this?"

Incidentally Linux does not imply command line necessarily. I'd still recommend my VMWare suggestion above, as Linux still has some of the best of breed software around in some areas, so it's worth tinkering with.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 20:37      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
It's not so much a command line interface thing as a Unix philosophy thing. It's not the command line itself, but the fact that you can string a whole bunch of simple commands together to do powerful things really easily once you grasp how they work. Appeals to the "do it yourselfers", as you can get something to work exactly as you want it to.

Hehehehe [Big Grin] . Stringing commands together [Big Grin] . It just flows naturally after a while.

cat file.ext | grep text - | sort -d | uniq

Hmmmmm. . . . I wonder how long you can allow a command to get and it still be practical.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 21:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Hehehehe [Big Grin] . Stringing commands together [Big Grin] . It just flows naturally after a while.

Hmmmmm. . . . I wonder how long you can allow a command to get and it still be practical.

It could get long, but at that point, you should really make a shell script to do the job. [Smile] (and/or use sed/awk)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 06:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:

It could get long, but at that point, you should really make a shell script to do the job. [Smile] (and/or use sed/awk)
What got me my job at the ISP I worked at before I moved out to Ottawa was when they contracted me to drive out there and help them do the merge of an ISP they purchased cleanly. I had to merge various files together, make changes inline, etc, and they were all things I'd do only once, so a shell script was unnecessary.

I wrote command lines all piped together that took up half a page on the standard linux console, and regular expressions in vim to make file changes that had the people standing around me going, ".. I don't know what the hell you just did."

It felt good getting that little ego boost.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 08:57      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just so you know, cat is for concatenation. You have demonstrated a Useless use of cat. Try "grep text file.ext | sort -d | uniq". It is one thing to use a useless cat in the privacy of ones own terminal (I know I do), but please don't do it in an example. [Wink]

EDIT: That sounded even more pedantic than I thought it would. I actually do believe there is more than one way to do it.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 09:39      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So from what understand, command line interface can help reduce the burden of repetive tasks?

The only repetitive task I have to do right now is add ID3 Tags to my entire goddamned MP3 library.

There is a program called "music Brains Tagger" that I've used, and it works mostly, but there are several hundred that still need to be done manually.

the File name is accurate and consistent for all my files..

<artist name> - <song name>.mp3

Is there a way I could use a Comm. Line Int. to make this task less laborious?

I'm in windows XP :^\

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 10:17      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:

Just so you know, cat is for concatenation. You have demonstrated a Useless use of cat. Try "grep text file.ext | sort -d | uniq". It is one thing to use a useless cat in the privacy of ones own terminal (I know I do), but please don't do it in an example. [Wink]

EDIT: That sounded even more pedantic than I thought it would. I actually do believe there is more than one way to do it.

I know what the concatenation command is for [Wink] . I just wanted to strings several things together. Nobody was hurt by it [Wink] .

Fix
cat file1.ext file2.ext file3.ext; grep text file1.ext | sort -d | uniq > file4.ext

Better?

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 11:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So from what understand, command line interface can help reduce the burden of repetive tasks?

The only repetitive task I have to do right now is add ID3 Tags to my entire goddamned MP3 library.

There is a program called "music Brains Tagger" that I've used, and it works mostly, but there are several hundred that still need to be done manually.

There's a little windows utility called "mp3 tag tools" that'll do it for you the point-and-click way. It parses the file name and populates the tags, according to a simple little template you set up. Sorry, don't have a link, you'll have to learn the mysteries of google yourself.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 07, 2006 11:50      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

There's a little windows utility called "mp3 tag tools" that'll do it for you the point-and-click way. It parses the file name and populates the tags, according to a simple little template you set up. Sorry, don't have a link, you'll have to learn the mysteries of google yourself.
Whould this be it [Big Grin] ?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 13:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:

I know what the concatenation command is for [Wink] . I just wanted to strings several things together. Nobody was hurt by it [Wink] .

Fix
cat file1.ext file2.ext file3.ext; grep text file1.ext | sort -d | uniq > file4.ext

Better?

Hmm...

Do you actually know what the above command does? [Razz]

That will:
-Concatenate file1.ext, file2.exe, file3.ext
-Search for the string 'text' inside file1.exe

Take the concatenation of the 3 files, and the search results of the one file, and do a 'sort -d' on that.

Do a uniq of all of the above, and output that into file4.ext.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to do this?
sort -du file{1,2,3}.exe > file4.ext

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 16:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes, that's sort of it. In fact the MP3 tagging thing was the perfect example of my reply before, a good task for a CLI, but someone's written a GUI thing to "scratch that itch". The only trouble is when you run across an itch that no one has scratched before, or the software to do it is too expensive etc...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture