homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Love my computer but still a newb (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Love my computer but still a newb
Kouga
Newbie Larva
Member # 4243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 21:29      Profile for Kouga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT IS VIRTUAL MEMOREY! .. First before i tell u what happens Ne one play Diablo2/Warcraft3... well i do and THEY take up alot of space, well i got enofe memory to withstand them, and in a week er 2 imm upgrade my RAM so they run better, ok so heres the story, im playing wc3 in the middle of a 4v4 all out battle im kicken ass!, BOOM wc3 bars down... *huh* i say to myself i see this ! in a triangle on my running programs *your virtual memory is low* WUT IS THAT!

please tell me wut it is/how i fix this problem, and does it ahve todo ne thing with my video card?

--------------------
__-.-__
``_-_``

Posts: 6 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 21:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual memory is basically an extension onto your RAM that most operating systems create.

This virtual memory is actually space on the harddrive, and good memory management systems (yes, even Windows has a rather acceptable virtual memory system) will see when your RAM usage is getting high, then it will clean out any extraneous cached filesystem data from ram. If you're still running low, it will then proceed to find the least recently used data sitting in memory, and put it on your harddrive in a 'swap file', and clean it out of your memory, thus making room in your ram for other more frequent/recent things.

What happens though, is sometimes, your overall memory usage gets too high, even with virtual memory included, and the system starts returning 'NO MORE RAM!' errors to software that try and map ram.

Another problem you run into, is if you swap too much, your system swaps out some ram that is actually needed more frequently, and the system starts thrashing away and getting deathly slow, since even the fastest harddrives aren't nearly as quick as the slowest ram.

Your best bet is to go through any running programs, and killing any processes that are running unnecessarily when you're playing games, and make sure your system has as much ram as you can afford to put in it to keep it running at its best.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 21:57      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you running XP by any chance? Fiddle around with the virtual memory settings to allow the system to control how much VM is allocated, since the default settings for that changed under XP, I believe.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 07:30      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe you're really low on hard disk space.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 07:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it appears your spell-checker has gone berserk.

Maybe it's a PEBCAK! [shake head]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 08:03      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
And it appears your spell-checker has gone berserk.

Maybe it's a PEBCAK! [shake head]

Teehee...I ran his post through spellcheck, this is my favorite excerpt:

quote:
imp playing wc3 in the middle of a 4v4 all out battle imp chicken ass!, BOOM wc3 bars down... *huh* I say to myself I see this! In a triangle on my running programs *your virtual memory is low* WET IS THAT!

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 09:20      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Teehee...I ran his post through spellcheck, this is my favorite excerpt:

quote:
imp playing wc3 in the middle of a 4v4 all out battle imp chicken ass!, BOOM wc3 bars down... *huh* I say to myself I see this! In a triangle on my running programs *your virtual memory is low* WET IS THAT!

LMAO. That's hilarious
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kouga
Newbie Larva
Member # 4243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 06:09      Profile for Kouga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, Sorry guys i usally get on her at night. -.-
But, thanks i figured it out has'nt done it yet!

--------------------
__-.-__
``_-_``

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 06:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kouga:
lol, Sorry guys i usally get on her at night.

[Eek!]
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 13:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

[Eek!]
[Eek!] [Eek!]

It just keeps getting better!

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 20:30      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

[Eek!]
Man do I hope that was a massive grammar mistake... please....

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2005 21:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2005 19:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well then, get on her and come back when you are done. Maybe your spelling will improve [Wink]

gg: PEBCAKs usually don't murder the spellchecker in such a gruesome way, sounds more like a code ID-10T error to me.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kouga
Newbie Larva
Member # 4243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2005 23:31      Profile for Kouga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her as in the computer..

--------------------
__-.-__
``_-_``

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 03:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Her as in the computer..

I would still suggest mounting your computer probably isn't healthy.
Artist X
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 13:06      Profile for Artist X         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the one guy said about RAM is right. My brother was having the same problems when he was running Doom 3. That hing would pop up and make him nuts. So he went out and managed to get 512mb of ram. I know that isn't much, but it is enough to do the trick. I don't know how much WC3 takes to run, but I bet getting anything DC would help.

--------------------
Man! I've seen computers suck before. But those were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.---Homer Simpson

Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Artist X
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 13:09      Profile for Artist X         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3600mghrtz of CPU and when I press the ever-so-deadly-yet-ever-so-helpful ctrl-alt-del, it says that the cpu usage is at 100%!!! How is that possible when all you have open is counter-strike 1.5?!?!?!

--------------------
Man! I've seen computers suck before. But those were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.---Homer Simpson

Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 14:14      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artist X:
I have 3600mghrtz of CPU and when I press the ever-so-deadly-yet-ever-so-helpful ctrl-alt-del, it says that the cpu usage is at 100%!!! How is that possible when all you have open is counter-strike 1.5?!?!?!

I'm assuming you're using XP. Have you ever checked your processes to see what is using up the system resources?

You also might consider editing posts, rather than double posting. It's the little pencil and paper icon above the posting.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 17:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah!!! T3h p41n!?!111!!!

/me grumbles, and goes back to work...all the while ignoring almost all of this thread...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iMacjoe92
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 16:20      Profile for iMacjoe92   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love Mac OS X Panther all you windoze people out there suck haha sorry im a little bombed ; )
Posts: 2 | From: Farmington Hills Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 16:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're 13 and under the influence??!! Get yourself some help, boy! [shake head]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
postgrep
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 16:51      Profile for postgrep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, I tweaked the virtual memory when I was running XP on my 400mhz celeron with 128mb of sd ram, so I could have enough hard drive space to run games [Razz] it could UT flawlessly...
AT 320x280!!!

Posts: 43 | From: my abode, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 30, 2005 16:52      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 16:54      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iMacjoe92:
i love Mac OS X Panther all you windoze people out there suck haha sorry im a little bombed ; )

Putting your apparent substance abuse problem aside, this is quite insightful commentary, too. I'm sure the "windoze" users around here are losing a lot of sleep. </sarcasm> [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
postgrep
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 17:05      Profile for postgrep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSX Panther? Pff, n00b. We all know OS7 rocksorz.
Posts: 43 | From: my abode, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture