homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Anyone uses Mac Mini and Sims 2?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone uses Mac Mini and Sims 2?
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 28, 2005 19:29      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have casually looked around the net for reviews of Sims 2 on any Mini, and haven't really seen any definitive answers about how well it plays on a Mini, if it's painfully slow, etc. I would expect that a Radeon 9200 with 32 MB is not going to be like an X800 on a dual G5, but can anyone give me some real-world feedback on Sims 2 and a Mini?

Thanks everyone!

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 00:23      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uhh..
Sims1 runs *acceptable* on a G3 -900mhz iBook...-
But I would guess that Sims 2 would run acceptable on a mini with low graphic settings..

thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 01:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the game is hugely bloated and hungry, it should run fine. I had Doom 3 running on my mini, and whilst it was a bit choppy it was playable. The mini is also below the minimum specs that is claimed is necessary to run doom 3, so if the minimum specs say it will be fine, then it will.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 06:14      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I realize that I posted this in the wrong area, but you guys came through anyway!

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who actually has Sims 2 on their Mini. While this isn't a deciding factor in buying one, I do like Sims 2 for Winsnows, but want to get away from OS/Bill, and Sims 2 is about the only thing that keeps Win around my house.

Thanks again!

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 07:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an iMac G5, so it's a bit over the Mini, but the Sims 2 is very playable (once in a while, it seems to freeze for a few seconds - could be the mail checking my accounts in the background -, but that's all). You should do fine with the Mini. If it's really the only thing that prevent you to go away from that quasi-monopoly, hesitate no more. Especially since with OS X, memory is often more important than processor speed. For what I understand, you haven't bought it yet, so just load it with RAM if you're still hesitant.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
catman
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4730

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 19:18      Profile for catman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run the Sims 2 on the 1.42ghz mac mini. It is a computer I bought for my niece. I don't remember how much RAM it has but I think I did add some.
It runs fine. The initial of the towns and families is a bit longer than with sims 1 but its not unbearable and once in live mode or buy mode its great.
EXCEPT I can't make a backup copy of the DVD or play without the Disk inserted. Really sux when a five year old is playing. How long is that disk going to last?
I will never buy another ASPYR product again until they institute a damaged disk replacement policy--of if I find a way to make a personal backup.

Posts: 1 | From: new york city | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
jfw
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 14:58      Profile for jfw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to run The Sims 2 on a 2x1GHz G4 Powermac, which technically is not even up to the minimum requirements for The Sims 2. It was a bit pokey, but it worked (and The Sims 2 is hardly a twitch-reflex game anyway). I must say that it is a good deal more smooth on a brand-new Quad 2.5 though...
Posts: 20 | From: Boxboro Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture