homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » computer name/gender (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: computer name/gender
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 12:40      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computer names... i tend to take mine from either mythology, practicality, or other influences:

router/firewall: Cerberus
DNS/NTP: Chronos
mail: Hermes
Samba PDC: Hrothgar
IDS: Echelon
my desktop: PrimaryHQ
my laptop: MobileHQ
Sun ultra 1: Revenant
Sun SparcStation10: none (atm)
Build Host: Hephaestus
mom's desktop: SilverBox
iMac: Pod
dad's desktop: Phred
web server: Lazarus
irc server: Prometheus
WAP: WormHole

i may be forgetting some, but, you get the idea

oh, and they don't have any genders

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 22:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The computers in my house are named after constellations:

Gemini, Leo & Orion.

Previous computers:

Pices, Ares & Draco

My network is Milkyway [Geek]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 06:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently set up a new server using one of the systems I got from ms firesnake. I named it merovignian -- I'm curious how long it is before my business partner insists on some sort of alias for it so he can get to it without having to try and remember how to spell it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 06:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently setup two PowerEdge 2850s in my lab.

The first is Server01.
The second is Server02.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 15:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my desktop is named "work, you goddamn piece of junk!" - is that male or female?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 17:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I recently set up a new server using one of the systems I got from ms firesnake. I named it merovignian -- I'm curious how long it is before my business partner insists on some sort of alias for it so he can get to it without having to try and remember how to spell it.

That's why you make host aliases for SSH in your ~/.ssh/config -- or just tweak /etc/hosts. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 19:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I once worked at a place with a strict "change all passwords once a week" policy. The guy in charge of choosing the passwords for the root account was a fan of Aztec mythlogy. Try typing Quetzalcoatl, Chalchiuhtlicue, or Huitzilopochtli first thing on a Monday morning [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 00:09      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current computer is named Damian because it's black and sinister looking with it's evil green eye. It also has a weird habit of coming out of sleep mode as you're walking towards it. My previous 866 mhz computer was Lone Wolf because it tried so hard to do everything on it's own even when it was no longer up to par for the standards required with my new games. I actually was able to play Guild Wars on it, although badly. [Eek!]
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 00:32      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

I once worked at a place with a strict "change all passwords once a week" policy. The guy in charge of choosing the passwords for the root account was a fan of Aztec mythlogy. Try typing Quetzalcoatl, Chalchiuhtlicue, or Huitzilopochtli first thing on a Monday morning [crazy]
Despite everything it goes against, those are pw's I'd write down.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 10:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
That's why you make host aliases for SSH in your ~/.ssh/config -- or just tweak /etc/hosts. [Smile]

Ric Romero wants to have a chat with you.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 11:33      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArcticBlue:
My current computer is named Damian because it's black and sinister looking with it's evil green eye. It also has a weird habit of coming out of sleep mode as you're walking towards it. My previous 866 mhz computer was Lone Wolf because it tried so hard to do everything on it's own even when it was no longer up to par for the standards required with my new games. I actually was able to play Guild Wars on it, although badly. [Eek!]

my desktop is the same way, it lets me play Doom 3, Quake 4, and Oblivion, on it's (now somewhat modest) 2.1 GHz processor, 1g pc 2100 ddr, and geforce fx 5900 ultra. thou Oblivion can get visual lag in some lighted areas of the maps

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 11:29      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AntonTakk:
quote:
Originally posted by ArcticBlue:

my desktop is the same way, it lets me play Doom 3, Quake 4, and Oblivion, on it's (now somewhat modest) 2.1 GHz processor, 1g pc 2100 ddr, and geforce fx 5900 ultra. thou Oblivion can get visual lag in some lighted areas of the maps
I bet you have the graphics on quake IIII turned RIGHT down [Smile]
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 22:44      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of corse, but even at the (next to lowest??) setting, it still looks fantastic [Applause]

--------------------

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 04:34      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would'nt know, I play with graphics turned right up [Wink]
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 06:33      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desktop - Ikari
Sisters Desktop - Auska
Server - Ayanami
Laptop - Hikaru
Zen - iWishItWasAniPod
Access Point - m00f
Cell phone's bluetooth - STFUn00b

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CaptMurdock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5796

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 09:30      Profile for CaptMurdock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The History of CaptMurdock's computer names:

Commodore 64 - Zen
Mac Classic - Questor
Mac IIsi - Kryten
Power Mac 6500 - Kosh
1st iBook - Zathras
2nd iBook - Vasquez
PowerBook G3 - Ozymandias

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 17:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've named my "new" iMac DV SE "Brunnhild", after the character from The Sword of Xanten. Technically, it's "Brunnhilde" it seems, but the film spelt it wrongly. Apart from an obvious reason for the choice, Kristanna Loken's site displays a rather curious take on the WIMP GUI which, while I presume is ultimately impractical, displays a impressive sidestep of convention that I approve of. It's always nice to see fresh new ideas.

I have no idea what I'll name any replacement to Brunnhild/Firetrack. Maybe, like with Spire (the PII) I'll think of something on the spot completely at random and with no real reason for the choice. (If I was going with tunes from Straylight's Unreal soundtrack, Spire would not be my first choice ... But it's a good "name" name; a PC called "Erosion" or "Nali Chant" would suck.)

IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 12:57      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually planning on changing my naming convention soon... Presently though I have Cheeze (win xp) and Condor (Debian linux).

At work we name the laptops after the users first initial lastname (flast, trad, etc)

The servers at work are typically named after what they do preceded by csi (cornerstone solutions, inc). A few servers have other names though such as gimli and gladius. BigBro is my favorite name on our servers, it's our monitoring server.

My VM computer names I have set up are shit (windows) and fuck (linux). Just because I was having a hard time thinking of names for them...

--------------------
~Live by the Sword~Die by the Sword~

Maxillius
Newbie Larva
Member # 7853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 16:13      Profile for Maxillius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and a deep-necropost from the local n00b...

I named my machines based on savegame names I had from Starfleet Command. My Macs don't follow that naming convention, but instead go by D&D characters.

Tracius: HP Pavilion 4455 (400MHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM, ATI Rage Pro Turbo integrated graphics, Win98, died with/because of WinXP)

Maxillius: Toshiba Satellite 1505-S151 (1.2 GHz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, WinXP)

Lethyyrah: Compaq 5000 (600MHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM, shipped with WinME, upgraded to WinXP, died with Mandrake Linux 10.0)

Korgath: HP Pavilion 725n (2GHz Athlon 2400+, 512 MB RAM, nVidia GeForce 4 integrated graphics, WinXP on hda1, Ubuntu Linux 6.06 on hdb1)

Riker: Apple Mac Mini (1.25 GHz PPC G4, 512 MB RAM, MacOS 10.3.9 (Panther))

Neelia: Apple iBook G4 (1.33 GHz PPC G4, 512 MB RAM, MacOS 10.4.8 (Tiger))

Vendemiatrix: "home built" (Duron 800MHz, 512 MB RAM, came with Win98, now running Mandrake Linux 10.0)

EDIT: I forgot Keelie! Apple Mac Mini (1.67 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel))

Posts: 9 | From: Lansing, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 23:46      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK so since someone dug up this necropost I might as well mention that I name my computers and gadgets after characters from Lord of the Rings.

A brief history:
My iMac G5 inherits the name Legolas because I have transferred that idenity from computer to computer over the last 4 Macs.

My old iBook was named Aragorn because it was older than the rest and traveled a lot.

My Windows computers used to be called Merri and Pippin because they got into trouble all by themselves.

I gave the name Gandalf to my friend's PowerPC which he then transferred to an Intel iMac. (The PowerPC was grey and the iMac is white so they were called respectively Gandalf The Grey and Gandalf The White, for you LOTR fans).

I have a new Windows PC and it is named Sauron.

My 3rd generation iPod is named Gimli because it is the companion to Legolas.

Finally, I reused the name Merri for my new iPod nano. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 08:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are based on Greek theology -

G4 MDD (my old primary system) - Apollo
12" G4 Laptop for wife - Artemis
15" G4 Laptop for wife - Athena
15" MBP Laptop for me - Helios
Mac Mini music server - Dionysus
My iPaq - Bellerophon
My phone - Pegasus
Her phone - Iris
Printer - Homer
Her iPod - Calliope
My iPod - Marsyas
Wireless is Aura

That covers most of it lol

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 13:31      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this was necroposted, I figured I'd share the new laptop's names. Mom, Grandma and the little sibling all got new laptops for Christmas and I set them up, they're all named after the Morrigan.

Mom's: Badb
Gran's: Macha
Little Bro's: Nemain

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 17:42      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I officially have the most boring device names, yay!

G3 iBook: Book1
Mac Mini: DeskPrime
40g External: Sparta
250g External: Phix from a character in 'Wapsi Square'.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 19:19      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My MacBook pro is named Ravel because my friend thought it sounded werewolf-y. I had a widget that made howling noises every day around sunset, but I didn't know that so the general consensus was that I had a were-laptop. Then I figured out where the sound was coming from, but the name stuck. Ravel the Were-laptop.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 19:54      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I have gone mostly with mythological names ex:

Cerberus - firewall/router
Chronos - DNS/DHCP/NTP
Hermes - Mail
Hrothgar - Samba 3 PDC
Echelon - IDS project
Prometheus - IRCd
Lazarus - HTTPd

Some names, thou have just been what ever:

Revenant - SPARCStation 10
Spirit - Ultra 1
Fireball - Ultra 5
TheBeast - E450
Phred - Dad's PC
SilverBox - Mom's PC (Guess the color)
PrimaryHQ - My Desktop
MobileHQ - My old laptop (now Mom's)
MobileHQ - My new laptop
Beowulf - Novell 3.x
I forget what the names of the Windows server was, thou when I re-build my network I may mix in names from some other interests

As for gender, for the most part I don't assign one. Thou going by names, the vast majority of them would be male, I guess

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture