homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » My System

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My System
neoncode
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3964

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted May 22, 2005 19:02      Profile for neoncode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me if it's any good, and suggestions welcomed...

motherboard: MSI 848P NEO

Grapics card: ATI RADEON 9600 (with 256MB of video RAM)

sound card: Creative sound blaster Audagy 2 ZS

processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz (hyperthreading)

power: 500W PSU

fans:
4 system fans w/ blue neon lighting(one not lighting up though...)
1 CPU fans
2 on the PSU

storage:
SAMSUNG SP0411N(40GB)
WDC WD800BB-00CAA1(80GB)

disk drives:
x52 speed CD-ROM Drive
NEC DVD-RW(+&- I think)
Floppy drive(how quaint)

other:
512MB system RAM
2 cathode ray tube lights in the case
1 4mm thick perspex window
akasa fan controller(broken, the knobs on it light up wrong)

I biult this a year ago for just under 1000(GBP)
...well?

--------------------
I am 00001110 years of age.

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 19:40      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve with this post? So you bought some components and stuck 'em in a case.

Maybe if you'd given reasons why you bought the stuff you did or talked about how you got around some technical difficulties that might be of interest to other system builders?

Generally the folks here either work with systems that would Destroy (yes that is with a capital d) your little desktop (or tower or whatever biscuit tin you've housed it in) or do extraordinary things with hardware any other sane person would put in a dumpster.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 20:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, you realize your ____ just decreased by an significant measure when you tell us that you built an allegedly cool machine, and you have Five Hundred and Twelve Megabytes of RAM? Your video card has half of that for its memory, and I carry a whole 512 MB in my pocket all the time. [Razz] I'm also surprised at how small those hard drives are. HDs are rather large these days, for pretty small amounts of money. (For that matter, I have an 80 & a 40 in my 5 year old server.)

Seriously, I second Allan in being curious what the point of this post is.

So sayeth a dragon posting from his 366 MHz Celery laptop running Debian. [Big Grin] It works fine for my needs. [Smile]

(OTOH, the other systems I have access to... [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 02:48      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me very much of this weird cartoon I once saw;

Eunuch (to a horse): my penis is bigger than yours

Horse: ...

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 03:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So sayeth a dragon posting from his 366 MHz Celery laptop running Debian.
Ha! My work machine PwnZ your ass!
650Mhz PIII baby!
256meg RAM
16 Gig HD
48X CD
??x CD-R/RW
Floppy
Zip100
Suck on my stats!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neoncode _______When I retired a year ago I was using a HP work station built to run Unigraphics (CAD,CAM,CAE) it was only a 180 Mhz but it also had a Gig of Vidio Ram, that was so I could program Machine tool paths to make large metal forming dies, The die designer beside me had to use a high end PC and he had a very bad case of workstation envy because many of the featers I could use were disabled on the PC because of lack of power. I tried to do a tool path on his machine once and never tried again too many features did not work as well as on the workstation. Just my two cents!!!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
neoncode
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 08:06      Profile for neoncode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
...little desktop (or tower or whatever biscuit tin you've housed it in)

Actualy it's in a tower.

And i was just wondering realy what you think I shoud focus on with upgrades and the like, and I know it's a little system that can be Destroyed(with a capital D) by most of yours. I was just looking for some input...

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 13:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
So sayeth a dragon posting from his 366 MHz Celery laptop running Debian.
Ha! My work machine PwnZ your ass!
650Mhz PIII baby!
256meg RAM
16 Gig HD
48X CD
??x CD-R/RW
Floppy
Zip100
Suck on my stats!

Sorry mate, but at work, I've got:
P4/2.7 GHz
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD
50x CD-ROM
32x8x52 (or summat like that) CD-RW (CD-R/RW/ROM speeds, roughly)
Floppy
USB keys - no zips these days
GigE w/802.1Q

[Big Grin] [Razz]

(and my home server is a 667 PIII/512 MB/80+40 GB HDs/8x4x32 CD-RW/52x CD-ROM/Floppy/3c905C-TX, also running Debian)

And then there's my Mini... [Big Grin]

But I don't /really/ care about such numbers - I'm posting again from my laptop... I love this thing. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 13:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMNSHO, MSI is absolute JUNK. I will never buy an MSI created device again.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
neoncode
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 13:49      Profile for neoncode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Any particular reason for that statement?

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted May 23, 2005 15:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone mention biscuit tin? [Big Grin]

http://www.beebmaster.co.uk/6502Second.html

Gotta love it, so damn cool. Funniest thing I have ever seen anyone do with a co-processor unit!

(it might help one to know that these external expansion units when properly cased were affectionately known as cheese wedges)

MSI motherboards are junk? Probably explains why my PC doesn't work [Smile]

IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 15:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry mate, but at work, I've got:
P4/2.7 GHz
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD
50x CD-ROM
32x8x52 (or summat like that) CD-RW (CD-R/RW/ROM speeds, roughly)
Floppy
USB keys - no zips these days
GigE w/802.1Q

Damn you to hell! I suppose you've got one of those fancy minis too with all the wireless gubbins and a DVD burner don't you?

The thing that really annoys me with my work machine is that it only has USB 1 and it takes hours to back up my data onto my ipod. That and the fact that it crashes lots.

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 16:25      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neoncode:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
...little desktop (or tower or whatever biscuit tin you've housed it in)

Actualy it's in a tower.

And i was just wondering realy what you think I shoud focus on with upgrades and the like, and I know it's a little system that can be Destroyed(with a capital D) by most of yours. I was just looking for some input...

Isn't it obvious that you should focus on the bottlenecks your current application set is experiencing? Is your system creating swap files regularly? add more memory... running out of disk space? get a larger hard drive... but mostly if it aint broke don't try to fix it.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 16:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have problems doing what you need it to do?

Here are my specs.

HP VLI8
PIII 933
20 GB Drive
512MB RAM
4X CD Burner

Runs Linux (my flavor of the month is Kubuntu) and does what I want it to do. Some web work, some tweaking with programs, and the usual day in and out stuff.

The only thing I am thinking is that I will upgrade to a bigger HD. A couple of 250 GB's sound nice.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
neoncode
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 17:03      Profile for neoncode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Do you have problems doing what you need it to do?

Well at the moment there is not much of a problem. My score in 3Dmark05 was just over 1000 so that was my main consearn as in would I whould be able to play future games at a reasonable frame rate without useing the lowest grapical settings. I'm running winXP home with service pack 2 by the way.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 05:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neoncode:
quote:

Any particular reason for that statement?
Because in my time as a computer tech, as well as owning computers, and fixing them for my customers, I've never seen any brand of anything fail as often as I've seen MSI.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 06:04      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
The thing that really annoys me with my work machine is that it only has USB 1 and it takes hours to back up my data onto my ipod. That and the fact that it crashes lots.

If they'll let you install an expansion card, then just get a PCI USB2 card. I've got one at home, it's a great improvement over USB1. Or a fireware card if your ipod does that would work, too.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 06:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If they'll let you install an expansion card, then just get a PCI USB2 card. I've got one at home, it's a great improvement over USB1. Or a fireware card if your ipod does that would work, too.
Yep, that would be nice, but I don't trust the tech support, and I can't afford to be without the machine for any length of time. It's also got secure screws on it so I can't sneak anything in under cover of darkness.
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 08:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because in my time as a computer tech, as well as owning computers, and fixing them for my customers, I've never seen any brand of anything fail as often as I've seen MSI.

I will second that. I have an MSI board sitting around the house that I may bring into service, just for the built in firewire. But I am hesistant because of their spotty reliability, poor drivers/support. And I can usually get better performance out of older BX-2 boards than some MSI PIII-4 boards I have used.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
KingVance
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4051

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 11:44      Profile for KingVance   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell. I built a machine that will chew on that one a year and a half ago.

I am less than impressed.

Posts: 19 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 12:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.......and where did you get a 3 Gig processor 18 months ago.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
KingVance
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4051

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 13:37      Profile for KingVance   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have been out for quite some time now. Fastest you could touch when I bought my 3ghz was a 3.2.

And those had been around for a few months.

http://endian.net/details.asp?ItemNo=3425

KingVance
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4051

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 13:38      Profile for KingVance   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take that back...there were the XT editions...or whatever they were called...the ones with insane amounts of cache.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 17:18      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's way of an overkill for a web browsing/word processing system, but nowhere powerful enough to be a good gaming system. That Radeon 9600 won't get you too far, even though it has 256 megs of RAM - that's nothing but a marketing gimmick on a card this slow. Sell it while it's still worth something and put the money towards a Geforce 6600GT - you can get one for around $150 nowadays, and it will absolutely destroy your 9600. The chipset is somewhat dated; you should've gone with something that supports dual-channel memory - Intel 865 and whatnot. Get another half gig of RAM if you want to play games like Doom 3 or Half-Life 2. Shiny fans and lights were nothing but a waste of money - I would've saved it for a better case/PSU if I were you. That's about it, I suppose, sorry for sounding so negative.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2005 08:34      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd up the RAM and HD if I were you. MHz is not that important to me, however, I have half a terabyte of storage and 4 gigs of RAM combined in all my systems (yeah I know, not enough, but I can't afford any more storage, however much I need it. I'm archiving stuff to DVD's and tapes. Ehh.)
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture