homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » I finally scored!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I finally scored!
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2004 01:53      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scored at installing Linux that is. Several times I've installed it and had unsatisfactory results. This time I finally decided to take the first advice anyone ever gave me about Linux. Get a Knoppix live cd and do a hd install from that. Success!

No real kinks to work out either. Just wish I could make this ugly window decoration look different. Blech.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2004 20:34      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! [Smile]

Knoppix is good stuff...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2004 21:21      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

Did you try the new debian installer?
I've had great success with it.

I just tried to use the PPC Beta 4 installer, however. There's some sort of bug that stops tar from working. Minor problem :-/. However, an install from CD1 of debian-woody (followed by APT'ing everything else i needed, i only downloaded/burnt CD1) worked fine. My new linux car-audio-system is almost done, software-wize [Smile]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 03:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
However, an install from CD1 of debian-woody (followed by APT'ing everything else i needed, i only downloaded/burnt CD1) worked fine. My new linux car-audio-system is almost done, software-wize [Smile]

You know there's a net install disk for Debian woody , so you don't need to download the whole first CD. Link
here

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 05:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm in the middle of downloading all 12 disks of the unofficial debian 'sarge' installation set. (Remember when Linux geeks used to complain about 'feature bloat' in Windoze ?)

Yes, yes, I know, there's a net installation that's ~1% that size, but then I'd have to download all the packages from the net anyway. The 12 disk set, on the other hand, is on my ISPs 'free download' server, which means none of that will count towards my monthly quota. So it'll take a while to download, I'm in no hurry (probably won't get time to install it for a few weeks anyway)

Speaking of quotas, less than a year ago when I first got broadband, my quota was 4G/month, since then it's been increased (for free) to 8G, then 12G, and I just got an email from my ISP saying it will go up to 32G/month from next month.

That's 8 times as much as they'd promised only last year, for no extra cost.

Colour me quite pleased [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 08:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Actually, I'm in the middle of downloading all 12 disks of the unofficial debian 'sarge' installation set. (Remember when Linux geeks used to complain about 'feature bloat' in Windoze ?)

Yes, yes, I know, there's a net installation that's ~1% that size, but then I'd have to download all the packages from the net anyway. The 12 disk set, on the other hand, is on my ISPs 'free download' server, which means none of that will count towards my monthly quota. So it'll take a while to download, I'm in no hurry (probably won't get time to install it for a few weeks anyway)

But if they have the 12 disc set, won't they have the package mirror too?

Incidentally, which Aussie mirror has the sarge CDs? My ISP has a fairly decent Debian mirror (woody/sarge/sid packages, woody CDs), but your mirror might still be included in my ISPs quota, depending which one it is.

Edit: /me checks, and ftp.debian.pacific.net.au has sarge CDs, and is counted as free download for iinet. Useful to know...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 10:10      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also note that the packages are in popularity order, if you get the first 3-4 cds you are likely to have everything you need.

Personally I do net installs, since I have several local debian mirrors inside the 'free download' zone.

/Mattias Wadenstein

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 11:03      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<darth vader> Welcome, TCTQ, to the dark side. </datrh vader>

The world of linux can be fun and educational, keep your hands and feet inside untill the ride has come to a complete stop... Other than that: (obligitory simpson's quote) "strap your self in and feel the G's".

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 13:17      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the damn stuff.

I am familiar with different parts, from tinkering with previous failed installs. Different bits and bobs didn't work, and in the process of trying to fix those, by following the assorted hints and tips of my good friends in the #joyoftech IRC channel, I learned a good deal about the [basic] anatomy of Linux.

Good stuff...

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 14:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:
quote:

Also note that the packages are in popularity order, if you get the first 3-4 cds you are likely to have everything you need.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

/me changes plans, now I'll keep downloading .iso files until I have time to do the install (not likely to be this weekend) or just get tired of it.

csk - my ISP (netspace) does have debian packages, but they're not good at keeping the mirror up-to-date (cygwin is sometimes way behind, for example) so the plan is to do the CD install, then update from another mirror. Of course, from the 4th of June, my download limit will be pretty theoretical, I'm not likely to download 32G in a month anyway.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 03:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:

So when you're doing your install (TFD), it's a good idea to make sure the popularity-contest package is installed, that way it automagically tells the Debian developers what packages you have installed. That way they know which packages to put on the first CDs (bet you were wondering how they decided otherwise, huh).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 06:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's all based on a popularity contest, eh?

Does that mean that Debian will eventually end up full of 2-digit-IQ sports packages with good skin, perfect teeth, and a keen fashion-sense, while all the geeky packages have to wander off to find some other distro that will take them?

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 18:15      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk: I'm quite aware of net installs [Smile]
I just so happened to have all 7cds of debian-woody-ppc on my hard drive for no apparent reason, and I allready had the first one burnt, so I just used the first cd as a slightly beefier net-install [Wink]

Oh, and my ISP has no bandwidth limit and I think that 900KBytes/sec is fast enough [Smile]
Oh, and it's only 39.95 a month.
God, I love CableVision [Smile]

AustinsFD
Newbie Larva
Member # 2774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 19:24      Profile for AustinsFD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i installed windows linux (knoppix) it screwed up some stuff in my CP so i never used it again [Smile]

--------------------
2000 is better than XP

Posts: 5 | From: Sherman Oaks/Van nuys | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 20:58      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've just installed debain (woody), and the apt-get tool is really useful. The thing I don't like is that the package names aren't always obvious, and I haven't figgured out how to list avalible packes besides search the web for the program name... Any Debain gurus want to give me a good reference page on apt-get
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 21:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Debian, damn it! Sorry, many typos I can deal with, but repeated typos of things like this is irritating. Please get proper names right.

Something I remember people telling me about a bit back, and I just tried:
apt-cache search something

This searches the contents of your apt-get cache (the result of doing an `apt-get update`).

Example:
[[email protected] dragon]$ apt-cache search penguin
ace-of-penguins - Solitaire-games with penguin-look
boot-icons - Display boot progress using graphical icons
defendguin - defender clone with penguins
defendguin-data - Data files for defendguin
ez-ipupdate - client for most dynamic DNS services
icebreaker - Break the iceberg
kernel-patch-debianlogo - Display a Debian logo on a framebuffer device at boottime
ktuberling - Potato Guy for KDE
lg-issue49 - Issue 49 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue51 - Issue 51 of the Linux Gazette.
linuxlogo - Color ANSI System Logo
muttprint - Pretty printing of mails
penguin-command - a missile command clone
pingus - Free Lemmings(TM) clone
pingus-data - Data files for pingus, a free Lemmings(TM) clone
tuxracer - 3D racing game featuring Tux, the Linux penguin
tuxracer-data - Data files for the Tux Racer game
tuxtype - Educational Typing Tutor Game Starring Tux
xpenguins - little penguins walk on your windows
xpenguins-applet - GNOME2 panel applet implementation of xpenguins

Obviously this is a list of far more penguin related packages than I have installed on my computer :-P.

[[email protected] dragon]$ dpkg -l|grep penguin
rc ace-of-penguin 1.2-4 Solitaire-games with penguin-look.

Edit: Well, I definitely have linuxlogo installed, but 'penguin' wasn' in the short description, so grep didn't see it :-/. I didn't even know I had 'ace-of-penguin' installed - I've never played it, and will probably remove it to save space (I don't game on this laptop (actually, I really don't play computers games these days), and need to free up a little room on this thing until I get a new HD.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 21:28      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me sorry DM... It's been a long night I've been talking with Sky for hours being VERY confused... VERY VERY confused.

I know which ones I have installed, I want to list avalible packages, but the lists I find online aren't the proper names of the packages (even from the Debian site). Is there like a apt-ls-available. I have a list of programs that I know there are packages for, but the package doesn't have the name the site says.

--------------------
My Site

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 22:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're confused, then re-read my post again.

apt-cache search searches all the packages available to you via your the sources you've established in sources.list. i.e. if you do a `apt-get update` (which updates the list of packages & versions), `apt-cache search` will search that local database for packages matching your query. That is not to say that you have those packages installed. In fact, I thought my example made that perfectly clear :-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2004 22:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Me sorry DM... It's been a long night I've been talking with Sky for hours being VERY confused... VERY VERY confused.

I know which ones I have installed, I want to list avalible packages, but the lists I find online aren't the proper names of the packages (even from the Debian site). Is there like a apt-ls-available. I have a list of programs that I know there are packages for, but the package doesn't have the name the site says.

Umm, are you sure you want to do that? Debian has a metric buttload of packages these days (don't know how many exactly, but the i386 testing version is up to 14 CDs so far). apt-cache search is probably what you want to find what you're looking for. You can restrict it to names only if you're getting a stack of results, eg

code:
apt-cache search --names-only gnome

will search for packages that have "gnome" somewhere in the package name. I'd also look into apt-file, which enables you to search for packages that you haven't installed yet which will provide a particular file (eg you want to know what package to install to get /usr/bin/ogg123)

Finally, there are pretty GUI interfaces to go over the top of apt like aptitude, gnome-apt and synaptic (all installable via apt-get). Check the debian web site out, too, the package lists on there should match yours if you have your /etc/apt/sources.list set up correctly.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2004 10:09      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Mandrake 8 installed on a laptop. It went on pretty easily.

I tried installing Gentoo on a Giga-byte mobo with Promise raid controllers (i wasn't using the raid, however). It didn't like the fact that the hard drives weren't coming up as /dev/hda1, etc, but something like /dev/raid0/host1/lun0/...

Eventually, the mobo kicked the bucket, mayhaps i'll try it on my new one.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 20:09      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by dragonman97:
If you're confused, then re-read my post again.
I meant another sort of confused... But that's neither here nor there.

apt-cache search searches all the packages available to you via your the sources you've established in sources.list. i.e. if you do a `apt-get update` (which updates the list of packages & versions), `apt-cache search` will search that local database for packages matching your query.
Oh! That IS really useful!

That is not to say that you have those packages installed. In fact, I thought my example made that perfectly clear :-/.
That was a VERY long night after a VERY long day. On rereading the thread all is more more clear (as far as Debian's package manager).

--------------------
My Site

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture