homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » I got a prize for this pick-shur

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got a prize for this pick-shur
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2011 22:30      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is!

It was a really, really windy day.

-

Have a great day!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 25, 2011 14:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it! [Applause]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2011 00:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome - assuming it's not a matter of JPEG artifacts @ high compression, the out-of-focus background looks like a watercolor painting. Tres cool!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2011 07:13      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You Snaggy and Mr. Dragonman.

No, that is not arty facts at all. I try to compress as little as I can.

It is a 1/2 second exposure. It was a really, really windy day and I saw the sea gulls would just sit and sit, but then some would move all at once. Very funny.

So I thought it would be cool to cap-shur the birds moving and see the blur. Of course the waves blur too.

I think the judges liked the pick-shurs that looked like paintings at this show. That is what seemed like what won.

Thank you again. Maybe I will show more later.

Have a great day!

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2011 12:15      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a really nice shot!
Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2011 01:32      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That look great! Did you use some sort of HDR technique, or did it just come out that way? I can never get daylight long exposures right, highlights always end up getting blown out.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2011 00:33      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was cloudy and after sunset on a very stormy evening.

I shoot RAW and post in Aperture 3. With any of the major RAW convertors you can find an extra stop or two. Underexpose is better than over! Once you count to 255 then you can't come back -- bye-bye, CMYK ya later! Ha-ha!

For long exposures in daylight use ND filters, that is short for neutral density. Most days I'm a much heavier density. Just ask Mr.s Geek 2me!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture