homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Photographic Composition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photographic Composition
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 13:06      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw these 10 Top Photography Composition Rules via Lifehacker.

I take terrible pictures, so any tips are really appreciated. I know there are several amateur photographers here; what tricks do you guys use to take good photos?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 13:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to play with the Depth of Filed, here's an example:

http://twitpic.com/3m7v4

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 15:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule #11: when taking pictures through bedroom windows at night, remember to disable the flash.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 17:00      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Framing is everything, try to crop out extra crap around the subject that will clutter or otherwise distract away from the subject. you can crop afterward of course, but you will end up with more image data if you get the framing just so when you hit the shutter.

Also make use of lines or other features to lead the eye toward the subject.

also try changing the height of the camera, taking the photo kneeling or prone will significantly change the perspective [Smile]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 22:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:

gaaa! I'm sure that is quite an impressive technique, but it drives me crazy that one of the two frogs in the picture is alwyas out of focus. It is ok to have a background out of focus but not a subject.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 00:06      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Rule #11: when taking pictures through bedroom windows at night, remember to disable the flash.

And a tripod, or stiff hands, or Image Stabilization.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 00:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:

Neat! I think visually, I prefer the one where the focus is on the frog in the front. (I wonder how my camera focuses... I just leave it on "auto" all the time.)

I do have a tip of my own though... when taking pictures of cats, use the "action" setting. [Wink]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture