homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » The elegant solution to daylight savings time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The elegant solution to daylight savings time
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 03:35      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ora ilLegale Clock Really Looks Forward to Daylight Savings

-

Do want!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 04:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while this would be the coolest clock two own, twice a year, I couldn't see myself buying it for the two times a year I would get to push it over.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 21:11      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats clever and way to simple at the same time. I wonder why no one had thought of it before. Well they probably did but never sold it.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 20, 2009 00:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, you need to adjust the minute hand, it seems.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 00:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI:
Uh, you need to adjust the minute hand, it seems.

Does it have a minute hand?

Good catch, though. I hadn't even thought of that.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 07:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just run it at 2 1/2 minutes between standard and DLS times. You will never be more than a couple of minutes fast or slow..
Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 09:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you added a sensor to detect which foot it was standing on, the minute hand could be self adjusting.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 09:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If you added a sensor to detect which foot it was standing on, the minute hand could be self adjusting.

Good one, but I worry easier said than done. But they could use a "floating" number dial to make it easier to read.

Wich makes me think that if minutes (and seconds) would be set apart (smaller dials or flipping numbers), they could be dangling from the axis (I suppose the clock is digital, so only the signal from the crystal is needed to keep the hour and minutes sychnonized), and always look good too.

Or it could use some led display, or laser projection, or something geeky enough, with a little computer that could adjust to the position more easily than a mechanical thing. Didn't someone posted a link to a led clock a few days ago? (Of course, from the point there's some embarked computer, it could as well change the time automatically...)

Edit: I don't remember if the link was from here or another place, so just in case, you can see the bulb dial clock here.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture