homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Geek's POV On SciFi Comic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek's POV On SciFi Comic
roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 10:32      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey forum! I'm a nooB member to the forum (Thanks Snaggy!). Just kind of stumbled to this site from randomly and thought it would be a great place to get some positive and/or negative feedback.

FIrst off, I represent the Roddenberry.com Interactive Crew. We have a Webcomic I'm hoping to get feedback from and thought this would be a great forum to try for. The comic is called "Rod & Barry."

http://www.rodandbarry.com

It's about two aliens named Rod & Barry, sent on a mission to destroy earth (how original right? lol) who fall in love with scifi tv. Instead of completing their mission, they procrastinate by learning about humans and getting into heated debates about the shows and characters.

We're looking for geek culture POV on our comic. If anyone could give their feedback to likes and/or dislikes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! and I'll catch all on the forums.
TribbleLord

--------------------
http://www.roddenberry.com

Posts: 6 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 12:08      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that you Rod?

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 14:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"3rd Rock from the Sun" with half the cast.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 07, 2009 14:44      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could use some navigation icons, I like to read my comics from the very beginning (that's why I'm stuck in 2003 in UF, anyway [Razz] ).

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 14:53      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...well it's Rod's company. I work in the interactive division. My name is Paul...

If you'd like to scope it from the beginning, to the left of the comic are two arrows. One is to go back one update and the other is back to the beginning.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep em comin if anyone has more.

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2009 08:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to like it...

But I'm a little bored. They never do anything but talk about TV shows. Most of the strips have an okay set up, but they fall flat in the last frame. The attempt at a destroy-the-earth plotline seems flimsy. It would work just as well, maybe better, if they were just observing, since I don't see the situation propelling the strip forward in any way, and most of the strips referencing the plot seem like they're almost reminders, in case we've forgotten the premise.

I did get a smile out of the desperate smallville strip somewhere in the 20s.

So, neither Barry nor Rod grabs me as a character, the premise is weak and unrelated to what actually occurs (they sit on a couch and watch TV) and there doesn't seem to be any forward momentum despite the contrivance of a plot line. They could just as easily be a couple of teenagers or talking dogs.

To me, the real comedic value here is being overlooked. How did Rod and Barry discover popcorn and cheese dip, for instance? Their pop culture references are very pedestrian. Where's the alien take on things? (Though I did like the strip where they mistake the soap opera for a documentary... that direction could be very funny, except that I'm unclear after dozens of strips demonstrating that they know the difference between fictional TV shows, reality shows, etc. why they don't know what a soap opera is.)

Sorry... but you did ask.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 12:36      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honest feedback is awesome! We take everyone seriously and are always appreciative of them, whether good or bad. So thanks to GrumpySteen, Richard and fs for your responses to "Rod & Barry."

If you don't mind, would you also be willing to provide feedback on our 2nd Webcomic called "Gene's Journal"? It's about the untold story behind the adolescent years of Gene Roddenberry. It was during these years that Gene was continuously abducted by aliens for the extraterrestrial purpose of studying human beings – all of his experiences recorded faithfully in his boyhood journal.

it's located at
http://www.genesjournalcomic.com

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 12:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ TheMoMan Here __ I dunno this is starting to look like that canned meat product.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 02:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I dunno this is starting to look like that canned meat product.

I prefer to think it's simply because we are the most discerning comic readers on the web that our opinion is sought.

--------------------

roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:38      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really just looking for some honest feedback whether it be good or bad. there have been several sites that we asked, and through a google search i happened to find this site and thought i'd give it a try. everyone's feedback is taken seriously and it's not a post to spam the board to try and get hits.

either way i like this forum for the tech side of me and try to get on once or twice a week to either begin a thread or comment on em.

P

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 13:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you ask, I like Gene's Journal a lot more than Rod and Barry. I think the storyline is developing more naturally, especially with the Gene robot and his little blonde friend noticing "him." I'm interested in finding out more about what heppens there, especially since now he's just plain old Gene again.

I do wish, since there's a clear time period established in the premise, that there were less modern gags. It causes me temporal agony to see a macarena joke in what should be the mid 30s. I think it would be interesting to do more with the time period, and maybe look at some of the period comics to see what they were doing then. I think if you wanted to bring in modern references and jokes, you could always fall back on the aliens time traveling with him.

The other thing that I just didn't like was the shrink ray/food thing. It didn't make sense to me the first time, and the repetition didn't help.

Something I really like is how various Star Trek icons are worked in. I think the Red Shirt strip was my absolute favorite. The phasers one was pretty good too. I like that these aliens have all the technology that later makes an appearance on Star Trek.

The other thing that I think is really good is how you're utilizing the alien's lack of earth knowledge. I liked the holiday strips especially. (The same kind of thing I thought there should be more of in Rod and Barry.)

So if I were to read one of them regularly, it would be Gene's Journal.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture