homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Scarf!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarf!
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 16:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After about two years of ignoring my pile of knitting equipment (preceded by only a couple of months of attempting to knit) I decided a few weeks ago it was high time I took it up again. I think that part of the reason I stopped so early last time was because I attempted something way too complicated my first time out, so this time I went with a simple scarf. Hard to go wrong there (though somehow I still managed it [crazy] ).

I ended up with not enough yarn in one color to complete the project so it's purple on the outsides and white in the middle. It's 8" wide, which it turns out is much too wide for a scarf, and 53" long, which is similarly much too short, but it's useful and keeps my neck warm.

And of course, I have pictures! (Click to enlarge)

-
Scarf by itself.

And then in use:
 -  -

Please excuse both the poor quality of the photos (due to a broken screen we still haven't replaced) and my hair style (due to being several weeks overdue for a haircut).

For my next project I think I'll try to make a hat. I have instructions for a simple one that came with the knitting kit I bought two years ago and I have two 100g balls of blue yarn (where last time I had two 50g balls of purple) so I shouldn't run out.

I feel way too psyched about this. I made something using nothing but a really long piece of string and some sticks!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 18:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' good, Peebs. Well, maybe not the hair, but the scarf does [evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 17, 2008 21:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spiffy! Mag val on the sticks and string!
[Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 05:25      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your hair looks pretty nifty actually, Peebs! Sure you want to get it cut? The fringe/bangs are cute [Smile]

And I second the Mag Val on the scarf! Knitting and I have had a love-hate relationship for the last year or so, which basically involves me reading lots of books and getting all excited, then abandoning everything dramatically the first time I drop a stitch [Wink] ... so I salute you for your perseverance!

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 17:14      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I think your hair looks pretty nifty actually, Peebs! Sure you want to get it cut? The fringe/bangs are cute

Aw thanks. I'm not cutting it drastically, but it was past time for a trim to tame some of the wilder bits. Mostly on the sides. I actually like how long the bangs have gotten, two haircuts ago the lady cut them way too short.

Thanks for the compliments everybody. I got started on the hat, but then got distracted when Kaitlin said she wanted a scarf too, so now I'm working on a green one for her. It's a proper width this time with thicker yarn and larger needles so I should be done in no time.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 06:21      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you're out on the West Coast, so you might not have a whole lot of experience with *real* winter weather, but..

Speaking as a resident and native of the great white state of Michigan, I think an eight inch wide scarf is just perfect. You need a really wide scarf to cover your face from the eyeballs down and also enshroud your neck. Though that's not really a fashionable look, that's how we wear them around here. [Smile]

What I'm trying to say is: good job, it looks good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 06:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My secret is that I have managed to master one crochet stitch. I just change the yarn textures around alot when I make things for people. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2008 09:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a roll. The hat is finished!

(Click to embiggen)

-

The back seam is a bit messier than I'd like, but it's harder to do than it sounds.

-

And then of course we need the pictures of me wearing it.

-  -

I've still got yarn left so I'll try to make a smaller one for Kaitlin, but not until after Christmas.

Merry Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus/Giftmas/whatever you celebrate, and I'll see you all next year!

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:30      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, Peebs!

I just learned to knit. So far I've made two hats and I'm working on a neck warmer. Which is totally different than a scarf. [Smile]

Have you been to garnstudio.com? They've got loads of patterns. Some really cute kid stuff.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 11:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Missus is an avid knitter. One of her fav knititing sites is Knitty.com. Where you can get patterns for ubercool stuff like this:

-

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture