homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Turning Steel into Lace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turning Steel into Lace
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 10:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this woman's work...

(but then again, I've always like manly tools in frilly lace. I'm a lumberjack and that's OK) [Razz]

-

-

And here's a NYT article on her too.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 22, 2008 11:30      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. Think she'll ever move on to using old computer parts, like HDD platters, RAM sticks, and computer cases? Oooh, I'd love to see a lace pattern cut out of an old CRT.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 14:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We could open the usual post-modern debate about re-purposing traditional ideas of the feminine aesthetic to subvert ideas of masculine roles in society.......

Or we could just say... "Wow...that is fscking good work!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 17:25      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool -- I'd like to see what she can do with a Ford pickup. [Big Grin]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 03:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Snaggy ___________ Back in 1984 to program a Wire EDM, Plasma Cutter, and or Laser Cutter to do those type of patterns was hugely difficult. Where I worked we cut out some trinkets made in the shape of the State of Michigan, by laying a thin sheet of graph paper on a Map and figuring out all of the X/Y Co-ordinates. The files became big and some times required that we feed the program from tape.

Things are so much easier now but her artwork is still excellent, I hope she has her own metal art studio. That is %&$#*@~ beautiful

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 22:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thought that came to mind (well besides the usual ones involving the word "lace") was, 'now that would be an interesting super power - being able to turn steel into frilly lace'.

Beautiful work.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 10:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
Cool -- I'd like to see what she can do with a Ford pickup. [Big Grin]

Talking to myself here... I'm happy now:

Lacy Steampunk Earth-Moving Machines

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 14:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I showed the pictures to Mrs Druid, she very confidently told me that they would have been produced by acid etching, paint the pattern on in something impervious to acid, put the object in an acid bath, hey presto! iron lacework.

She was very impressed when told they were produced with a cutting torch.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 03:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ TFD __ I also replied before I read the article. Now my question is, does she use a blue wrench or a white torch, Hand held plasma cutter?
The skill level to do such fine work with either is artistry.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 29, 2008 00:02      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing, Snaggy. Beautiful work, indeed! [Applause]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture