homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » *Christmas Music* Time for my yearly spam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *Christmas Music* Time for my yearly spam
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 18:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is, once again, that time. Yes, it's time for me to remind everyone that I have a Christmas CD available for sale.

When I created this disc two years ago, my goal was to create a CD with simply arranged Christmas music, played in keys that are very easy to sing along with. To put it in layman's terms, it means you don't have to stretch your voice to reach the "sleep in heavenly peeeeeace" part in Silent Night.

One satisfied customer even had this to say:
quote:
This masterpiece of family Xmas songstering can get my 5yr old and 15 month old jumping and trying to join in. I think he has truly achieved his goal... Simple songs, simply played - for simply singing along to. Go on and buy it.
Order Here! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 18:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea, but...

I'm an atheist, a student, and love rock music

sorry, that is 3 strikes [evil]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 18:22      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sb7: yeah, I don't expect to drum up a vast amount of support here... but you guys are the only Internet family I have... posting my link on any other forum would be truly spamming... and I'm no spammer!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 11, 2007 18:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should offer a digital download version.

(I do that for The Cat Carol, ... pay what you want.)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 19:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy! You're a genius! Hrm.. how do I set that up?

Edit 2 add: until I get some sort of official way to do that set up, I can offer a download link of the MP3s for a paltry $3.. PM me for details

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 11, 2007 20:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simplest way is to just add a PayPal button on your site. When you get the order, email them the download link.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 22:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm, maybe it's time I lived up to my inner hippie and gave the album away for free. Kind of like that band... uhm.. you know the one... pay whatever you want for the album (via a convenient and obvious PayPal link...). Leave the option to buy the whole CD via CafePress, or just download it for whatever you want to pay (even nothing..).

I guess my intentions for making this CD were never to make money off of it... that was a potential side benefit, but never the goal.

I could switch my business model over to that new style in about 30 minutes worth of HTML coding. And if, somehow, a few people paid a few bucks (2, 3, 5?) for my work, it might even motivate me to do more recordings... perhaps spur a totally new career path I'd not ever fathomed.

I could build an Internet following.. become my own little one-man-indie-band. Convert the bus into a mobile recording studio, travel the country doing small concerts at intimate little places and release a whole slew of "pay what you will" downloadable CDs.

Okay, so here's the BIG question I have for everyone (and please answer honestly): IF I released this as a "pay what you want" downloadable CD (About a 51MB download, btw)...
1) would you download it? and
2) would you give me money in exchange for the download (even if it's just $.50 or something)?
I don't want you to tell me how much you /would/ pay, just tell me if you would. You all are now my Iowa.. my "average" sample group.

Thank you for listening to my continued ramblings. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 01:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
1) would you download it?

Yes. My SO likes to sing Xmas songs, I can't sing, so perhaps this might make it easier to join in. And if it's free, it's just a download that you can then delete/give extra money for if you hate/love it.

quote:
2) would you give me money in exchange for the download (even if it's just $.50 or something)?
I don't want you to tell me how much you /would/ pay, just tell me if you would.

Probably. Would like to know what it sounded like first! I'd probably be more enclined to give you money than a random band though.
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2007 09:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend doing it like I do... http://www.catcarol.com/ and offer both the download (at a pay what you'd like.... note: about a third of people pay more than the dollar) and the CafePress CD. Lots of people still want CDs in their life. (plus they get the little booklet with Nitro's drawings)

oh, and yes I will buy your download when it's ready. [Smile]

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 12:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: where do I get this mysterious "Pay what you want" PayPal button? I can't find it.. or figure out how to make it.. or something...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2007 13:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no official Pay-what-you-want button, I just used a standard one which lets the buyer fill in a price. In practice, a person can't pay *nothing*, but I think they can pay a value down to a single cent.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 14:42      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Snaggy!!!

The new, revamped version of heavenlypeace.net goes live later tonight...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 17:21      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck MMK, but where is my favorite Christmas song ?

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 18:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**IT'S HERE!!!**

Announcing the new downloadability of my Heavenly Peace CD! You can purchase and download the MP3s for whatever price you want...

http://heavenlypeace.net

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 01:36      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done [Smile] The only problem - I need a password for the zip file!
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 04:31      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH FSCK!

e2a: If Serenak wanders by, he may remember it, however I no longer do...

(Sorry, this situation will be remedied A.S.A.P.!)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 18:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egads! File snafu's are all cleared up now.. site returned to normalcy.. Everyone can continue buying my download now [Smile]

Stibbons: check your e-mail...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 18:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys - I have no idea what the password was... and several Macs later I don't think I have the original email that told me what it was any more... hopefully MMKK can either find the mangled bit of paper he scrawled it on or set a new one.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 18:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak: I re-uploaded the zip file without password protection and I sent the appropriate e-mails. The only unfortunate thing is that they will have to re-download it.

While you're here, do you have any more kind words to say about my music?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 23:48      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it is a bit late, but I would have suggested just a free SAMPLE CLIP or two ... especially for those of us who are craving good Christmas tunes, but can't quite use our bank card at the moment. :-(
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2007 03:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on now Kris...

wouldn't want to be seen as gilding the lily now would we!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture