homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Short Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Short Story
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 16:54      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just to get this idea down out of my head really...

A handsome prince is captured, and kept in a tower by a monster. A homely female knight quests to save the prince, traveling with her beautiful woman squire/page girl. As they near the tower, the knight is betrayed by the squire, and left armorless, weaponless, and equipmentless. The knight braves on anyway finally reaching the tower only to find that the squire has snuck past the monster, and is trying to save the prince on her own. Without the prince or squire knowing, the knight distracts the monster so that the prince can be rescued. The homely knight is killed by the monster, and the prince ends up marrying the beautiful squire.

... The end.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 17:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like it better if the knight lives, and, even though the prince thinks the pretty girl saved him, he falls for the knight anyway. Either that or the monster eats the pretty chick, falls into a food coma, and the knight is able to sneak past him and rescue the prince. They marry, and to save face the knight tells everyone her squire sacrificed herself (can you imagine how embarassing it would be to come home and tell everyone your squire beat you up and stole your stuff?). The squire is elevated to hero status, but the knight gets the man, and only the monster knows the truth.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 17:57      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going with the for the "all endings are not happy" lesson. And that no matter how noble your intentions, you may get killed by a monster in the end to do what you feel is right.
The ending is supposed to be somewhat amusing, because the "beautiful" girl always gets the prince, but here we see how she got him.
I admit I was feeling down, and the ending is the way it turned out in part due to the fact that I'm upset there are not as many stories with unhappy endings for protaganists. Especially protagonists that everyone wants to win triumphantly! They fail spectacularly. Perhaps that's just my sense of humor or schadenfreude.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 18:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be fun if the ugly chick finished frst for a change.

And as far as protagonists not getting the all goodies, you need to read some Shakespeare. Followed by Greek mythology and chase it down with some Tolkien and a few dozen other authors I'm not thinking of right now. Then go rent Gladiator and Cold Mountain. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 03:10      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will concede to the point that there are older stories out there with that sort of thing in them. But why does that mean I can't write something with the same feel? (I could've gotten that without the eyerolling... it felt condescending to me.)

And yes, I'd love it if the "ugly" chick won, too... in real life. But that's not my story, nor is it what my story idea was about. I'm not going to change it into something that I don't want it to be to make everyone happy.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 16:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Wingless. I'm thinkin' you may have missed Xanth's humor with the eye-rolling smiley.

I believe she was applying that to her suggestion that you rent and watch Gladiator and Cold Mountain.

It would be akin to my suggesting to a male poster that he get all revved up on some 'sexy' topic and then take a cold shower. Or something like that.

blah! forget it! What the hell do I know of such things?

BTW - Welcome to the forums. Fly! Be Free! -Mork from Ork

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 2 posted September 04, 2007 14:49      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh noes ;; I certainly hope I didn't misunderstand. Gosh darn intarbloggotubes! One can never really tell. :/

And many thanks for the welcoming, Garlic! [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture