homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » So I Wrote a Novel.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So I Wrote a Novel....
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 11:14      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, I write about technology for a living, but I decided to give fiction a shot. Onyx Neon just released my first novel, Gravitas.

It's a coming of age story about masculinity, growing up, falling in love, and figuring out how to get what you want out of life.

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 11:16      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! I look forward to checking it out!

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 03, 2007 11:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mag Valour! Awesome! [Applause] [Applause]

It's coming to Amazon.ca I hope?

On second thought, we want to buy a signed copy? Got any?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 13:19      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job - we have more authors on GC now. And i'm not one of them [Frown]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 19:24      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Mag Valour! Awesome! [Applause] [Applause]

It's coming to Amazon.ca I hope?

On second thought, we want to buy a signed copy? Got any?

Way ahead of you on that one, Snaggy [Wink]
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2007 06:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute profile, Chromatic! [Wink] The book looks really interesting, too.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 15:11      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's three GC authors now, I think: Chromatic, Jess, and GreyGirl. Any more?

Good job, Chromatic.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 08:11      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo, right? I think she said she wrote something.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 20:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a newspaper reporter. Does that count? [Wink]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 04:07      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

Yeah it does! Cogratulations, last I remember you were working as a copy editor, I think.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 05:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, cool! I'm in with the elite crowd!! [Big Grin]

I worked as a proofreader for a national coupon magazine for almost 2.5 years, but when I got married, I started working as a reporter for a weekly paper in my area. Yeah, we're weekly, and we only publish good news, but I'm proud of it!

--------------------

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2007 10:42      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty cool... I've been curious about writing for a weekly paper, but never looked into it (as if I had time). How did you find the job, Rhonwyyn?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 04:33      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been trapped in a second-shift proofreading job with increasingly tyranical (sp?) management and when my wedding got closer, I started looking for a day-shift job with vengeance. My aunt sent me an e-mail saying that the local weekly had an opening for a copy editor, so I applied. But on the form, I also checked that I would be interested in working as a feature writer and didn't think anything of it.

Well, I was called in for an interview, and while she talked with me a bit about editing/proofing, she also threw out the idea of writing features. Since it was full-time and the other was just part-time, I said, sure, I'd be glad to do it. I went home, then she called me a few hours later to offer me the job. It was such a good feeling to go into my wedding rehearsal knowing when I returned from my honeymoon that I would have a new job waiting for me.

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 13:52      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chromatic:
Sure, I write about technology for a living, but I decided to give fiction a shot. Onyx Neon just released my first novel, Gravitas.

It's a coming of age story about masculinity, growing up, falling in love, and figuring out how to get what you want out of life.

Congratulations! Love your publisher's name by the way. Do they take submissions?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 10, 2007 15:34      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chrom, how was the experience with writing fiction compared with tech writing? Was it fun? freeing?
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 17:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I was on a wanted poster once....Does that count?
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 23:36      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

I was on a wanted poster once....Does that count?
Only if you wrote the accompanying text yourself.

--------------------

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 09:43      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
[QUOTE]Congratulations! Love your publisher's name by the way. Do they take submissions?

Yes, they do. Send me an e-mail at chromatic dot wgz dot org and I'll pass it along!
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 09:47      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
chrom, how was the experience with writing fiction compared with tech writing? Was it fun? freeing?

It was both more difficult and more enjoyable. With tech writing, there's a much clearer sense of what's appropriate and correct. With a novel, you have to consider in-world and in-story and in-character verisimilitude, but it's difficult for someone to come along and say "I ran your character on my machine and he crashed." You can't please everyone with story or dialog or character behavior, but you can make them reasonably consistent.

It's much more satisfying to write a beautiful piece of prose for a novel than a tech book or article. There are some sentences (and paragraphs and one whole section) I think are fantastic. Of course, I also had to cut some stuff I thought was great, because it didn't fit.

I already knew I could fill up a blank page, so that wasn't scary. I didn't know if I could write a meaningful conversation between female characters (still not sure) or write something that people want to read for enjoyment, not information. It was great to explore those different skills.

Of course, writing and editing and producing it simultaneously with other books was kind of painful, but writing always has pain in it at some point.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 14 posted July 17, 2007 21:25      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chromatic just distilled the novel-writing process beautifully. One spends hours with it and curse at it and coax it to behave, but one keeps going back because one is intensely in love with it.

Writing isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. If you can live without it, you're not a writer. That said, there's no promise of success, no crowd throwing tickertape, nothing except releasing it into the world like a wounded bird who you've nursed to health. It may fly and succeed in the wild beautifully; it may get eaten by a hawk a minute later. The point is that you release it at all.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 10:30      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
The point is that you release it at all.

I was just happy to finish writing the book. Polishing it for publication was a benefit (maybe the most satisfying part of the process). Seeing it in print is way beyond that.
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 03:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiousity, how much time do you guys spend physically writing, as opposed to researching or editing or plotting? Do you say "I'm going to write 10 pages every day," or do you write when the mood/inspiration strikes? Is it like exercise, and once you get in the habit, you feel crummy if you don't do it?

I was looking at the back of an Asimov book the other day and realized he had over 400 books published. That is a lot of writing going on, and I started wondering how someone can approach even half that volume.

--------------------

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 10:26      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Out of curiousity, how much time do you guys spend physically writing, as opposed to researching or editing or plotting? Do you say "I'm going to write 10 pages every day," or do you write when the mood/inspiration strikes? Is it like exercise, and once you get in the habit, you feel crummy if you don't do it?

I tried to get in the habit of writing a thousand to fourteen hundred words a day, five times a week. That usually took about forty five minutes, and I did it right after work.

I didn't do it every week, as travel (and my day job, and writing other books) occasionally cut into my life, but I sustained that pace for about two thirds of the novel.

Writing every day for half an hour will get you a long way in six months. Once you make a habit of writing, 500 words a day is fairly easy.

As for plot, I saw the first section as a setting and a general theme, which gave me just enough of the character to be able to write the first section. Then I just followed him home, section by section, until I finished the first chapter and realized that I needed a subplot. I followed up on a throwaway line I'd introduced on the third page or so and had just enough of the plot to see how the ending might look and just enough structure to plan each day's section just before I wrote it.

It's not the easiest way to write, but it worked out organically for me.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 19:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped writing, but there were times I would go 16-hour marathons. Usually, I would write 8-10 hours per day, netting about 10,000 words in that sitting.

I have recently, however, lost my free time. So, I will have to scale back to maybe an hour a night and two on weekends.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 24, 2007 19:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chromatic! We received your book today! thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture