homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Jess or anyone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jess or anyone
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 08:27      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey [Smile]

Jess, maybe you have an answer for this. I've gotten an itch to start shopping some of my erotica around again, and I'm really in the market for an editor. I can self-edit, but it always works better if I can find someone to do it for me.

Where did you find one for your book? And how expensive is it to get a good one? I've never really used one before.

Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 12:14      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSG:
Hey [Smile]

Jess, maybe you have an answer for this. I've gotten an itch to start shopping some of my erotica around again, and I'm really in the market for an editor. I can self-edit, but it always works better if I can find someone to do it for me.

Where did you find one for your book? And how expensive is it to get a good one? I've never really used one before.

Thank you [Smile]

I edit my work myself (hence the size of the books and the time and effort it takes to release one). Now, I have a beta reader (Okay, WS) who said things like, "This part is boring," and "Do I HAVE to keep reading your book?" That made huge headway into my writing skills, though it made a few days a little less than pleasant in the "wanting to cuddle" part of my marriage.

There are editors abound and some are affordable. The problem with an "affordable" edit is that the editors tend to do a really light sweep of your book for your $500 - $1,000 USD. They make some recommendations, but they don't edit it as if they were getting paid a salary by a publisher to do it.

I'm not really sure what to recommend. Does anyone else know?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 13:57      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:

Now, I have a beta reader (Okay, WS) who said things like, "This part is boring," and "Do I HAVE to keep reading your book?"

-

Oh gosh, that was so funny.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 13:38      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, I have some free time. I wouldn't mind editing a book.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 16:29      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read quite a bit, and not JUST erotica. My preference is for a good story that contains adult elements. A lot of the stuff I read is on Beyond the Far Horizon (google it). My favorite authors there are Ryan Sylander, Asa Strong, and Sacwriter.

Edit: Hit the silly post button by mistake.

As I was about to say, I would be happy to provide feedback. I have no discernible credentials to offer, but my price is right [Smile]

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:18      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightmare Specters survived the beta read after a few big changes in character drive. This, of course, is spurring a near complete rewrite of the third book.

That's what I've been doing this whole time off GC.

I'm kicking myself over em dashes and an uncapitalized piece of dialogue, which was a typo brought on by the edit of the first book. Outside of that, I apparently have had my book sniped by a family member of a reader, and she loved it (the cover drew her to it -- thanks to JCM). It's hard going because of everything going on, but I was reassured by this article.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture