homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Sitcom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sitcom
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:44      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been writing a sitcom on and off for a while, and am curious if there's anyone else out there who's doing / done this? Just wondering about people's experiences.

Also wondering if there's anyone who'd be interested in bouncing ideas around and stuff - it's probably one for people in the UK! The series is set in Yorkshire, and has a bit of a local flavour to it. All good fun though [Smile]

I've got to the stage where 4 out of 6 episode have got first drafts almost done. But the first and last episodes are still to do... I'm not stuck, just feeling a bit uninspired.

What issues would people like to see dealt with in sitcom? Or theme and plot.

I'm rambling on here when I should really be writing. Says a lot!

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never written a sitcom, but that sounds so exciting!

Do you have a season-based theme (like a romance or a job search or change or home or something like that) or are they all one-shots?

If you're stuck, take a look at Shakespeare's comedies. They tend to have some awesome stories, if you distill the ideas.

I like gay characters' issues, especially when a gay character deals with the same issues straight people do (finding commonalities versus creating divisions -- it could also be done with someone from another country). I live in a metropolitan zone on the Left Coast, so my idea would probably not appeal to most conservative people.

Oh! I would LOVE to see a straight childfree-by-choice woman who doesn't have her baby-clock go off ever. Why? Because it should be considered a viable alternative. Also, it makes for amusing situations when people her age get baby-wild and don't grok the whole "You don't want a baby?"/"No."/"Ever?"/"Ever."/"Never ever?"/"That tends to be the meaning of 'ever', yes." discussion with her. In fact, people steamrolling over her decision and her getting upset would work, especially if you write a sympathetic, friendly main character.

Sorry I wrote too much! Can't wait to hear more about your work! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 03:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Yorkshire sitcom? I'd be interested - I feel so out of place down sarth [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 04:41      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Do you have a season-based theme (like a romance or a job search or change or home or something like that) or are they all one-shots?

There's still some work to do to the series overall, theme wise, but each episode has it's own little thing going... Technology/Nature, Immigration (although this is dealt with by using tourism) and the crazy media reactions, and so on.

quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Oh! I would LOVE to see a straight childfree-by-choice woman who doesn't have her baby-clock go off ever. Why? Because it should be considered a viable alternative. Also, it makes for amusing situations when people her age get baby-wild and don't grok the whole "You don't want a baby?"/"No."/"Ever?"/"Ever."/"Never ever?"/"That tends to be the meaning of 'ever', yes." discussion with her. In fact, people steamrolling over her decision and her getting upset would work, especially if you write a sympathetic, friendly main character.

Sorry I wrote too much! Can't wait to hear more about your work! [Big Grin]

Unfortunately, the main character is not that friendly or sympathetic! Well, he is, but it always seems to go wrong for him. Despite this, an audience still needs to care about him - I think he's still likeable, just gauche and unwittingly twattish.

He meets a girl too - although she has a kid, so her baby-clocks already buzzed. Althogh she finds having the main character and her boy is like having two kids. Fun all round.

No need to say, it all goes wrong. Hooray! :|

soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 04:42      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
A Yorkshire sitcom? I'd be interested - I feel so out of place down sarth [Smile]

At least your motorways aren't still cobbled [Smile]
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 12, 2007 05:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best element of a comedy is real life, people try to identify themselves on the media they're receiving, and with the right human touch, the information they're receiving gets connected to their memories and experiences, which makes them laughable, even if in real life they aren't.

For example, in Seinfield, when George Contanza's fiancee died because she kept licking cheap envelopes for the wedding invitations, you didn't care about her family but for the fact George is gonna be a single the rest of his life, but he tries anyway.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 07:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:

At least your motorways aren't still cobbled [Smile]
You mean they have cars now? [Wink]

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, love -- I've been to Leeds!" -- Harry Enfield.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 07:24      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A Yorkshire sitcom? I'd be interested - I feel so out of place down sarth
Does it have three men in a bath? Hard to beat the classics!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 21:20      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unfortunately, the main character is not that friendly or sympathetic! Well, he is, but it always seems to go wrong for him. Despite this, an audience still needs to care about him - I think he's still likeable, just gauche and unwittingly twattish.

He meets a girl too - although she has a kid, so her baby-clocks already buzzed. Althogh she finds having the main character and her boy is like having two kids. Fun all round.

No need to say, it all goes wrong. Hooray! :|

I've done it. You can bounce things off me, if you'd like. Your protagonist puts me in mind of Victor Meldrew. [Big Grin]

How about an episode where he is being somewhat impatient, annoyed with, the child. (you didn't mention the age of the child - so this may not work) and through the course of the show, it becomes apparent it's a bit like siblings fighting or sibling rivalry, even. At some point, he could be engaged in exactly the same behavior as the child, without even being aware of this. The mother administers to both of them as though she's administering to her two children.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 07:40      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
You mean they have cars now? [Wink]

I know not of what you speak [Razz]
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 07:48      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
How about an episode where he is being somewhat impatient, annoyed with, the child. (you didn't mention the age of the child - so this may not work) and through the course of the show, it becomes apparent it's a bit like siblings fighting or sibling rivalry, even. At some point, he could be engaged in exactly the same behavior as the child, without even being aware of this. The mother administers to both of them as though she's administering to her two children.

Lol I've actually done this already. Only briefly, but the idea's there - maybe I should make more of it [Smile]

The kid's about 6 ish, just FYI!

I do like the idea that the main character could almost get competetive with the woman's son, wanting her attention. Bless :/

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 22:15      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

Lol I've actually done this already. Only briefly, but the idea's there - maybe I should make more of it [Smile]

Yes, definitely! And age six should work quite well. [Big Grin] [thumbsup] Could be really funny. Good luck!
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture