homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » I made a widget. Play with my widget.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I made a widget. Play with my widget.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 06, 2007 20:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a widget for OS X 10.4's Dashboard. Read about it.

Now, it's totally awfully written. Embarassingly bad. And it's probably full of bugs. It's only a version 0.5b, though. It's going to be rewritten for a version 1. But do you guys think the concept is cool?

If you don't want to visit the link, here's a short summary: the widget allows you to quickly enter web searches, and stores them so you can visit them later. It uses "space triggers", so you can type "g", press space and it will show the Google icon. Then enter the search term and it'll store it as a Google URL.

Anyway, have a look if you have OS X 10.4. I'm sure there are bugs, but I'll probably leave them in there for this version and concentrate on doing much better for the final product.

I hope this post made sense; I'm very tired. And now I'm going to sleep.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 22:39      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 05:44      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty cool idea!

I can't use an OS X widget, but I often find things that I want to know a little more about, but am not in a position to search at that moment.

I wonder if I could SMS my e-mail address with a special subject and have procmail have Firefox attempt to open a new tab with whatever Wikipedia thinks of the search term... [thumbsup]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:08      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

I hope that you consider taking November to join WS for an app-a-day (30 apps, 30 days) project.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 07:13      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan to install that widget today, and yes! Please join me in november. [Big Grin] It's a blast.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 17:16      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a neat little widget, but I don't use any Macs (except an old laptop that I've not turned on in an eon). I like the idea.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture