homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Music software?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music software?
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 10, 2007 19:14      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - to all the musicians, wanna-bes, etc...

I do quite a bit of music on my Mac and I just want to know: What's your favorite software for composing, arranging, looping, editing, and producing tunes?

I use SoundTrack and GarageBand right now with a multitude of midi/live inputs. They are pretty decent, though it always seems like the software gets in the way of the "process" as it were. Nothing quite as intuitive for sound as Final Cut is for video editing.

Thanks

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 06:33      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finale. I prefer note-based composition to using loops/samples/trackers/whatever.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 08:22      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Logic is the closest equivalent to Final Cut Pro. I've never used it though.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 11, 2007 08:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too find that writing or putting together music on the computer is clumsy. Nothing was as nice to write on as my old PortaStudio. :-)

Via Scott Bourne and Mac Break Weekly, I just found Guitar Shed... it's the ultimate guitar utility for a Mac-using guitarist... it's fun, in particular the Jam Machine. Gotta love that roaring crowd. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 11, 2007 09:25      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

I'm checking out guitar shed now, and I'll see if I can get a chance to play with logic (since $1k is a nice chunk of change).

Thanks

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 10:48      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logic Express is only $299. Then there's the free open source Audacity.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 21:56      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a little long folks but you've hit upon my favorite subject.

Before digital there was analog and I had a system set up with 16 tracks. Unfortunately the analog mixer is extremely noisy compared to digital so I am currently using one piece of equipment at a time. I don't have a digital mixer yet.

I started on Windows 98 in 1998 using Cool Edit 96/2000, then Cool Edit Pro, then Sonic Foundry's SoundForge (which is now made by Sony). At the time the standard compression was MP2.

When I switched to the Mac in 2000, I had no software that I could afford other than a free program from Iomega called Record It! which was for OS 8.6. But now I use BIAS Peak Pro and Amadaeus II (which is a great value, although it is not yet Universal). Those are two-channel editing programs. My only complaint is that clean-up software for the Mac is expensive as opposed to Windows.

I am interested in using GarageBand for mixing because you can put in audio tracks instead of MIDI, mix and then export them as editable files. I experimented with Logic Express but was not impressed. Perhaps I need a more powerful computer for it. [Confused] (I have a G5 PPC 20" iMac 2GHz with 1.5G RAM)

I primarily use the Mac for editing recordings and digitizing audio transferred from other sources such as vinyl records, any type of analog tapes, videotapes, digital cassette, and MiniDisc. I have not experimented much with MIDI although I have the hardware for it.

I use Final Cut for synchronizing audio to video when there are more than two stereo tracks required. Otherwise, I use iMovie which does a nice job when it behaves. [Razz] [Big Grin]

EDIT: I'm checking out Audacity to see how well it works on my system.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture