homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Now this is real stupid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now this is real stupid
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 17:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All________________________I usally have great respect for other Vets, but this one has me stumpped.

LONDON A 22-year-old man suffered internal injuries after lighting a small firecracker he had inserted into his buttocks, paramedics said Thursday.

The incident took place Sunday, when Britain celebrated Bonfire Night, traditionally marked with fireworks to celebrate the Guy Fawkes' gunpowder plot to blow up Parliament in the 17th century.

The man suffered burns and other unspecified internal injuries in the incident in Sunderland, 275 miles north of London.

Katherine Shenton, a spokeswoman for the North East Ambulance Service, said a caller had phoned in that the victim was bleeding after the firecracker exploded.

Several of the man's friends recorded the incident on a mobile phone. The blurry images show a man bent over with his pants down and a white flash as the firecracker explodes.

The Times newspaper reported the man is a soldier who recently returned from Iraq.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 19:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This gives a whole new meaning to "pain in the ass."
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 20:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
A 22-year-old man suffered internal injuries after lighting a small firecracker he had inserted into his buttocks...

Rectum? Well, I can't imagine it did them any good.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 20:51      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The Times newspaper reported the man is a soldier who recently returned from Iraq.

That's funny that an American paper listed this fact. Don't they usually try to make the soldiers look good? There were a couple incidences already where American soldiers accidentally bombed the Canadian troops, and my aunt who lives in New York never heard about it in any of the news. Propaganda is a funny thing...
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2006 21:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
quote:

That's funny that an American paper listed this fact.
Um, I suspect it's referring to another (and far older) 'The Times', not that Johnnie-come-lately rag from New York.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 00:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Rectum? Well, I can't imagine it did them any good.

hehe. And his friends were filming it? I take it that none of them were even vaguely intelligent enough (or, sober enough) to realise that putting explosives up your arse isn't sensible?
IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 01:24      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the good 'ol boys medical dictionary.

Rectum: Durn near kilt 'em.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 04:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of really stupid people ...

quote:
From TFA:
Stefaan Vanthournout, 24, was with a group of about six other tourists who ignored crocodile warning signs and waded into Masons Creek, on the south side of Cape Tribulation in Far North Queensland, after spotting the two-metre saltwater crocodile lying on the riverbank.

"They looked across the creek and they saw this crocodile there on the other bank," Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service spokesman, Mark Read, said.

"They then waded across the creek to the other side. It's pretty risky behaviour."

As they did so, the crocodile, which locals call Allan, slipped into the water.

"Then the gentleman in question wanted to get a better photograph of the crocodile, which by this stage had submerged.

"And the gentleman then picked up a short stick, approximately 30 centimetres long, and was tapping the water within about a metre and a half of the crocodile to try and get a better photograph.

"It lunged out and grabbed his knee and the worst part is he didn't get the photo."

"I tell you, it's a candidate for the Darwin Awards - the awards for doing stupid things."

The Darwin Awards "salute the improvement of the human genome by honouring those who remove themselves from it," says the awards' website.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 05:57      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
lighting a small firecracker he had inserted into his buttocks

Didn't they pull this off in the Jackass movie? Chances are, that's where this schmuck got the idea.

Damn it, doesn't anyone read disclaimers anymore?! [Razz]

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 06:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wasn't killed, just humiliated and hurt.

I'd suggest he got what he deserved, learned his lesson, and all is well.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 07:36      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
lighting a small firecracker he had inserted into his buttocks

Didn't they pull this off in the Jackass movie? Chances are, that's where this schmuck got the idea.

Damn it, doesn't anyone read disclaimers anymore?! [Razz]

I think they used bottle rockets in "Jackass". That way only the stick was between their buttocks. I think they still got burned. [devil wand]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 08:18      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potential candidate for the Darwin Awards??
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 08:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they might add him as a runner up, but you have to die to get an award!

The silliest thing I've heard was some kids near me duelling with light sabers made from glass tubes (strip lights I think?) filled with petrol and ignited. Not a good idea.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 09:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

The silliest thing I've heard was some kids near me duelling with light sabers made from glass tubes (strip lights I think?) filled with petrol and ignited. Not a good idea.

Actually, according to the book, you just have to remove yourself from the gene pool to win a Darwin Award. Typically this means death, but given the proximity of the fire/explosion, it's entirely possible that the bloke adequately damaged himself to win...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 09:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm, true ... actually that would be even funnier :-)
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 12:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

Actually, according to the book, you just have to remove yourself from the gene pool to win a Darwin Award. Typically this means death, but given the proximity of the fire/explosion, it's entirely possible that the bloke adequately damaged himself to win...
Given the proximity of the prostate, an organ nessesary for reproduction, the brave seaman of the USS testes may never see daylight again.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 13:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Some 'train-surfers' from oz got nominated a few years ago. These guys got very drunk, decided it would be fun to ride on the roof of the (electric) train, then took a leak on some high-voltage components. They survived, but their genes will not be passed on.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 14:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry. No, really. I am.

But it has to be said, and you all are dodging the issue, "What an A$$HOLE"!

-

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 15:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're too harsh GG, it's just a little party-trick that backfired.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 16:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD___________________________These things usually follow "Here hold my beer and you ain't going to believe this".

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2006 18:00      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man...

All I can say is, what wouldve happened if he passed gases at the same moment?

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 12:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would make you think that he didn't? With everything else going on in that vicinity at the moment of ignition, it seems highly likely that some, (perhaps considerable), gaseous leakage would have occurred simultaneously. [Eek!]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture