homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » My hands get cold at the keyboard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My hands get cold at the keyboard
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:10      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, my handcrafts addiction has rendered me somethin' useful:

-

Fingerless mitts made from silk/wool blend that I prepared, dyed, spun, and knitted meself. They are very warm and help me combat the eternal evil of office air conditioning.

They are nice, soft, and colourful too.

-

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 11, 2006 19:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

Nitro made me some of those last year and they really helped the cold hands at the keyboard! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much (in US $) would you charge to make and ship a pair to me? My handspan is 3.5" and distance between wrist and first knuckles is 4". I love your color scheme, and as long as they're not itchy, I would absolutely LOVE to have my own pair! (Do you have anything running between the fingers to keep the mitts from sliding back on the hand?)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha I was going to add... you should sell those to other geeks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:42      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
How much (in US $) would you charge to make and ship a pair to me? My handspan is 3.5" and distance between wrist and first knuckles is 4". I love your color scheme, and as long as they're not itchy, I would absolutely LOVE to have my own pair! (Do you have anything running between the fingers to keep the mitts from sliding back on the hand?)

Rhonwyyn, I'd be happy to charge you the cost of the fleece/fibre + shipping + maybe 5 bux extra for time (yes, my time is cheap, but I'm doing this as an amateur so I don't think I'll be charging premium prices). The ones I made are probably 150g all up so the shipping cost won't be too high. I'll send you a PM with some pricing info on different types of fleece & what options I can provide, plus instructions on hand measurements. If you want you can also email me at [email protected]

The other issue is that it'll take me a while to get it all done since I owe my mom a pair of socks which are only on the toes at the moment & my dad a hat which has to be ready by the beginning of November. I don't think you'll have to wait until Nov, but I will have to work out how to squeeze it all in. I have a US PayPal account so paying me shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody else have any orders? I'll happily do socks, hats, scarves... I can even put custom geeky designs in (anyone wanna Tux beanie? etc) if you like. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I SOOO needed these in college! Before I bought my laptop, I had to use the computer labs (and sometimes still had to afterward if I was using Minitab or some other lab-specific program) and by the time I was finished, my teeth would be chattering 'cause I was so cold... even while wearing a jacket! My hands shrink a LOT--at least one ring size--every night at work since it's like an icebox in here too.

I'll check my PMs. :-)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:46      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. [thumbsup] A friend of mine just made some fingerless gloves. I don't think I'm quite up to that level of knitting yet. I've still got to try to figure out how to make a scarf. [Geek]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 20:15      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Very nice. [thumbsup] A friend of mine just made some fingerless gloves. I don't think I'm quite up to that level of knitting yet. I've still got to try to figure out how to make a scarf. [Geek]

You'll get there. The only additional things you need for these vs. a scarf are 1) how to make an increase and 2) using circular needles or double-pointed needles. These are even simpler than true fingerless gloves b/c you only make the thumb hole.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 22:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've been /meaning/ to buy some good fingerless gloves at some point. I In certain rooms, typing can drain much of the heat from my fingers, making them quite cold. Then again, the better solution would be to get *heat* in these rooms...but I've been waiting quite some time for that. [Razz]

I suppose the key* thing for me was to make sure my fingers could move freely, but your apparent design of being cutoff mittens seems to solve that matter, rather than having actual finger holes (or that's how the pic looks to me). Very cool, any way you look at it. [Big Grin]

*Pun partially intended. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 02:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARJ You have great skill! Lovely mitts!
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 05:49      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, nice mitts. Too bad, somebody can't have those in a southern state in the United States.
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 09:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you make singles....ya know.....for one handed typists?
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 14:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

What's the other hand doing? I should I even ask?

:-o

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 15:51      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
quote:

What's the other hand doing? I should I even ask?

:-o

Scratching his head trying to figure out how everyone got in his computer.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 18:19      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Maybe you'd prefer something easier to clean, like latex or rubber?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback! Now, on to Mom's socks & Dad's hat.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 25, 2006 09:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ME TOO!!111

I was going to post this a while back but my socks were not clean and I didn't want to post pictures of my dirty socks on the internet. I am not the only around here that likes to knit,cool. Any other guys here knit?

Unfortunaly I don't spin or dye my own wool.

-

-
EDIT:
re-reading I saw this
quote:
ARJ I owe my mom a pair of socks which are only on the toes at the moment
Does this mean you start at the toes and work backwards. As you can see I go top down. Do you use the same needles?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 16:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!

Is tempted...

So, er, what kind of dyes do you use and will they work for tie-dying?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 21:17      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
OK, my handcrafts addiction has rendered me somethin' useful:

-

Fingerless mitts made from silk/wool blend that I prepared, dyed, spun, and knitted meself. They are very warm and help me combat the eternal evil of office air conditioning.

They are nice, soft, and colourful too.

Those are beautiful!
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 13:33      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to put an order in for a hacky sack.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture