homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Dizzy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dizzy
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 01, 2006 21:56      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest creative outlet is the very un-geeky practice of spinning animal fibres into yarn. Here is some of the stuff I've made:

http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/51295.41cdb688b21/thumbnails

Hurray for antiquated handcrafts!

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 22:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the awesome DHTML steals the show...
IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 05:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by animal fibers? You're just using like wool and silk right. At first I thought your were using house pet hair, but I am weird. It is not ungeeky to do stuff like this. I think part of being a geek is to not care what other people think, not follow the crowd, and do what you enjoy. When I was jobless I took up knitting socks. It really passes the time. Though it is not worth it really considering how much time I need to make a sock.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 04, 2006 06:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psit! Ashitaka - what do you think wool is?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 07:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Psit! Ashitaka - what do you think wool is?

I knew wool is animal fiber, I was thinking of other animals though. I don't know why, I just was.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 07:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of what she's making yarn from is goat hair, so there are other critters involved.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 04, 2006 08:17      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? No llama wool yet? [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 16:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
My latest creative outlet is the very un-geeky practice of spinning animal fibres into yarn.

It's a shame you didn't take this up earlier, mum recently got rid of her angora goats, she doesn't spin, and was giving the stuff away to anyone who could use it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 23:27      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Animal fibres I have spun so far:
  • wool (of varying breeds of sheep)
  • mohair (angora goats)
  • alpaca (huacaya and suri breeds)
  • silk (Bombyx silk worms)
  • angora (angora rabbits)

I've yet to try camel or cashmere; hopefully my spinning teacher will give me some info on suppliers for plant fibres soon (would like to try hemp, flax, and cotton as well-- passingly curious about the manufactured stuff like soy silk).

Some people actually do use pet hair from dogs with long hair(!) which I think is kinda ooky but I can't explain how that would be ookier than a sheep. Apparently you can even spin human hair. There are probably lots more things to go on the list that I haven't covered here, but most of them are probably rare enough to be hard to get a hold of.

TFD-- I'm sorry I missed my chance for some free mohair! That would have been awesome. Ah well, c'est la vie. I've been getting lots of free/cheap materials from the spinning guild where I take lessons anyway.

--------------------

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 01:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to work with someone who spun human hair and Golden Retriever hair, each mixed 50/50 with coarse sheep's wool. Apparently the resulting yarn was both soft and quite hard-wearing, although it was always easier to get the dog hair!. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 08:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchase human hair for chemical testing at my job. It can be very hard to get and expensive. It's between $500 and $1000 USD per pound. I can see how dog hair is eaier to get ahold of.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 13:16      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you use an old spinning wheel, like the spinning wheel that was used in fairy tales? If you did... that would be pretty awesome.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 21:17      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
Do you use an old spinning wheel, like the spinning wheel that was used in fairy tales? If you did... that would be pretty awesome.

At this stage in my life I can't afford the $700-$800 sticker price of a spinning wheel. I use a turkish drop spindle, as shown in the last photo of the album. Less moving parts, only $25, and I can take it with me on the train. :-)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture