homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Jedi vs. Superman (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jedi vs. Superman
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 09:41      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to admit that some people have WAY to much time on thier hands. Like me at work reading about who would win in a battle against a Jedi and Superman.

See link here

I think the need for a Jedi to have a "Kryptinite" lightsaber would have nothing to do with him/her/it deafeting superman. According to the Starwars.com databank

quote:
Its shimmering blade is capable of cutting through almost anything, save for the blade of another lightsaber.
So having a normal Lightsaber should be able to cut thru Superman.

Also if a Jedi is fast enough to detect and deflect blaster bolts, They should be fast enough to detect superman. You would think a blaster bolt would be as fast if not faster then a "Speeding bullet".

So I think hands down, Jedi would win.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 10:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D wrote:
You would think a blaster bolt would be as fast if not faster then a "Speeding bullet".

< comic book guy >
Not true. You can see a blaster bolt travel across the screen in the Star Wars movies even at fairly close range. A bullet, on the other hand, you will only see in slow motion effects or as a tracer round if the round has to travel far enough.

Bullets are way faster than blaster bolts
< /comic book guy >

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 11:20      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Superman against a Jedi would see superman triumph. But someone like Darth Vader who has so many abilites would win in a fight vs. Superman ( http://therealadam.com/weblog/archives/2005/08/04/superman-vs-darth-vader-burnin-question-1/ )

quote:
Moe: Uh, let me buy you a drink.
Comic Book Guy: Very well. I will have a shot of Cranberry Scnappes.
Moe: Haha... uh, these are... they're just painted on there.
Comic Book Guy: Beer is the nectar of the nimwit.
Carl: Hey, are you knocking beer?
Lenny: Nobody badmouth's Duff! :he smashes a bottle, it cuts him: Aw, piece of crap!
Comic Book Guy: Oh please. If I wanted to hear mindless droning I'd befriend an air conditioner.
Moe: Oh now he's raggin' on air conditioners.
Carl: Hey they keep us cool in the summer, pal.
Lenny: Get 'im!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 11:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets vote

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 12:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhh, nobody beats Superman.

quote:
Excerpt from Wikipedia.org
Recently, some authors have implied that Superman's powers can reach nearly unlimited levels, based on solar energy absorption and withdrawal of mental blocks. In "Our Worlds at War", Superman dives into the sun to gain sufficient energy to overpower Brainiac 13, who was imbued with the Imperiex Force. In Superman/Batman, when Kara Zor-El claims to be more powerful than Superman, he tells her that he put personal mental blocks on his powers as he grew up to keep from losing control and causing irreparable damage, blocks that Supergirl does not have. Thus, while Supergirl can appear to be stronger, Superman just has greater self-control.

In an interview with Joe Casey on Alvaro's ComicBoards, he writes that Superman under his penmanship can re-arrange the Solar System and tear a star apart. "I've always seen Superman as this completely over-the-top, fantastic character who has *no* limits whatsoever," writes Casey. Unencumbered by mental blocks, according to Casey, "Superman is unbeatable."

I think if someone can tear a star apart, they would not be cut by a lightsaber. If it would even hurt him he could take the lightsaber out of the Jedi's hands before he knew what happened. The force gives Jedi faster than normal reflexes but no where near as fast as Superman. Jedi mind tricks will not work on him because he is not weak minded. It is also a fairly sure bet that Superman could withstand a force push. Maybe if an army of Jedi were to attack him they might stop him but not without taking heavy damages and if Superman decided that it was either his life or theirs well there is always his heat vision. He used it to take out an army of cloned Doomsday's so I think he could manage Jedi.

Don't get me wrong, I like Starwars but Superman is practically unbeatable.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 13:01      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still going to hold onto the statment on lightsabers being able to cut thrugh anything. And that a jedi could alter the path of Superman into said lightsaber.

Also Looking into the EU on the databank, Sith have also been able to destroy whole planets/systems using the force. jedi have the ability to use dark side powers they just don't.

And since the force is what "Binds us and the galaxy together" Superman would be just as subseptible(spelling?) as anything and everything else. So a Force hold was also apply to him.

Size matters not.

A Jedi could also throw superman around using the force. Superman has no force powers.

A Padwan would have no chance, But throw Palpatine, Yoda, Vader or Mace at him and start planning supermans funeral.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 13:50      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am still going to hold onto the statment on lightsabers being able to cut thrugh anything. And that a jedi could alter the path of Superman into said lightsaber.
Superman is able to fly through the sun for goodness sakes. There are huge streams of plasma flowing at tremendous force in there and are much hotter than any light-saber power-cell could muster.

quote:
Also Looking into the EU on the databank, Sith have also been able to destroy whole planets/systems using the force. jedi have the ability to use dark side powers they just don't.
OK so Superman has that same ability. He is capable of tearing stars apart and rearranging solar systems. If he can do that planets are not a problem.

quote:
And since the force is what "Binds us and the galaxy together" Superman would be just as subseptible(spelling?) as anything and everything else. So a Force hold was also apply to him.

Size matters not.

Size does not matter, but I bet power does. Superman is a more powerful being than any Jedi or Sith ever faced.

quote:

A Jedi could also throw superman around using the force. Superman has no force powers.

Superman may not have Force powers but he is a force to be reckoned with.

Superman is capable of surviving a near-direct nuclear strike with a ten megaton warhead.

Cold and heat have no effect on him.

He can survive without air for 30 minutes.

He has telekinetic capabilites that enable him to lift objects weighing over 100,000 tons his actual upper limit is not known.

He uses superbreath to push objects down and move them back but it is probably more a manefestation of his telekinetic ablity rather than lung capacity.

Superman is capable of enhanced reflex action and the ability to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. He can reach a high speed percentage of lightspeed in normal space. Superman can perform superfast movements, reactions, and processes. He can use this power to disarm opponents, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds. He has been seen flying from the Moon to the Earth in under 2 minutes. That is the equivalent of 2000 miles per second or 1% the speed of light.

Superman is able to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, Utililizing molecular motion, Superman is capable of Mach speeds in excess of Mach 10 in atmosphere. His control of his flight is perfect and he can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.

Magic does affect him at times but it does not directly destroy him. Meaning a force push would have the effect of a normal physical object pushing on him of the same amount of force that the push would have. It takes an extreme amount of force to push Superman; I have never seen the Jedi exhibit that much force in a Force push. The Force itself might be limitless but that does not mean that the amount of the Force a Jedi can channel is limitless.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 14:37      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, What superman are we talking about here?

The original superman couln't even fly, he could "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" And he couln't travel at the speed of light he was "Faster then a speeding frieght train"

Over the years he has changed ... a LOT.

When I posted that I was thinking the one from the "Super friends" episode I was watching with my son this weekend. He was haveing a tough time fighting the Minitor.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 14:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very simple. Superman's powers have always turned out to be just enough to defeat whatever threat he is facing, but not so much as to make it look like it was too easy.

Jedi, on the other hand, get killed off with appalling regularity.

Thus, when faced with a master Jedi, Superman would appear to have difficulty, but would ultimately prevail. He'd feel bad about it, though.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 15:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Ok, What superman are we talking about here?

The original superman couln't even fly, he could "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" And he couln't travel at the speed of light he was "Faster then a speeding frieght train"

Over the years he has changed ... a LOT.

When I posted that I was thinking the one from the "Super friends" episode I was watching with my son this weekend. He was haveing a tough time fighting the Minitor.

The original Superman would be no match for a Jedi and the Super Friends Superman is 30 years out of date.

Superman of the modern day:

Superman traveling near light speed in a black hole.

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/2135/untitled138wy8fy6fu.jpg

Superman holding a minature black hole in his hand.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5941/supermanblackhole0015ak0te.jpg

Superman punching Kara Zor-El {Supergirl} with a Kryptonite ring.

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/7536/supermanbatman32ul5ep.jpg

Superman surviving the explosion of a planet while inside the core with no injury.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4759/boomsupes22ez9ks.jpg

Superman using heat vision to heat the entire Earth.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7898/supermansheatvison3eu8bu.jpg

Superman taking an adamantium cutting beam to the chest.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/3579/supesadamantium9tw.jpg

Superman fighting Thor.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/SupermanandThorbrawlin2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/SupermanandThorbrawlin3.jpg

This is the modern Superman.

Edit: I just thought I'd add this. This is Superman fighting Darkseid. Darkseid is on god level in the DC universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geKjvg0rI9c

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 17:44      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this contest is unfair, the creators of superman have changed him so much over the past 30 years because ppl started to get bored by his powers they thought he was to weak so over the years they just kept adding powers after powers to him.

While Jedi haven't seen to many changes over the years (now not as big as from being able to jump from building to building to be able to fly through the sun).

If the contest was between original superman and original jedi then jedi would win hands down. If the contest is between new superman and new jedi then i believe in an open battle then superman has the uper hand.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 17:58      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's not the creators that changed him; it is DC comics that has chaned him. Superman was created 68 years ago by Simon and Schuster {btw that is what the S stands for}. DC has changed him over all of those years making Superman incredibly powerful. They depowered him in the early 90's and are giving him back his full power with the explanation that he was just holding back all the time. Anyhow, if we are going to try to figure out who would actually win, then it stands to reason we should use the most current information.

If new Jedi stories are told for another 30 years or so the powers of the Jedi will probably evolve as well.

--------------------

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 18:15      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's kind of boring if he always wins and is invincible. What fun is that? Thats like throwing a tennis ball at a brick wall all day. Do you expect the wall to fall over?

I'm not even going to go to the new movie.

--------------------

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 19:10      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it's kind of boring if he always wins and is invincible. What fun is that? Thats like throwing a tennis ball at a brick wall all day. Do you expect the wall to fall over?

You're just jealous. [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 19:35      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The answer is C) The jedi and Superman would discover that they are both forces for good, would join together in co-operation, and battle the true bad guy who instigated the fight (possibly Braniac, as he would be smart enough to come up with such a scheme).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 03:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

THat is why they had to invent kryptonite.So Superman would have a weakness.

ANd by the way, jedi a e extremly knowledgeable. One would know to go get some kryptonite before fighting superman. Therefore, superman, doubledover on the floor, could not stop a jedi from just walking over and decapitating him.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 07:09      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, The question is .... Would Kryptonite work in a Lightsaber? They can hold multiple crystals.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 07:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, The question is .... Would Kryptonite work in a Lightsaber? They can hold multiple crystals.

No you need those special Jedi crystals. But the jedi doesn't need kryptonite in his lightsaber. He just Has to have some on him.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 08:02      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

No you need those special Jedi crystals. But the jedi doesn't need kryptonite in his lightsaber. He just Has to have some on him.
Kryptonite laced under pants?

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 08:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

Kryptonite laced under pants?
I'd go with a sawed-off shotgun full of kryptonite pellets. But obi would probably consider that too "uncivilized".

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 08:14      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thermal detonator with Kryptonite in it?

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 11:04      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] Well if you are going to use Kryptonite, then a baby with a Kryptonite rattle can potentially beat Superman. Using Kryptonite doesn't require any skill and is a cop out. [Roll Eyes]

Superman would take out the Jedi in a normal situation. Think about how many Jedi were taken out in AOTC during that huge battle sequence with the droid army. Superman would have laughed it off and thrashed all of those droids with ease.

In any event, I don't think Brainiac would be behind it ARJ; it sounds more like something Darkseid would come up with after allying himself with the Sith in an attempt to find the anti-life equation.

--------------------

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 13:38      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
The answer is C) The jedi and Superman would discover that they are both forces for good, would join together in co-operation, and battle the true bad guy who instigated the fight (possibly Braniac, as he would be smart enough to come up with such a scheme).

So the jedi and superman are going to team up to get How stuff works of the internet?
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 13:48      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stringlion:
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:

So the jedi and superman are going to team up to get How stuff works of the internet?
I think they should go after Microsoft. There is no greater evil.

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 13:56      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think they should go after Microsoft. There is no greater evil.

Maybe they should go after AOL while they are at it.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture