homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » garage band efforts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: garage band efforts
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 22:07      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing around with Apple's Garage Band over the past few weeks.

Here are a couple of the efforts.

One contains Michael Rennie's speech from The Day The Earth Stood Still. It's the "Freedom To Act" one.

The other is a collection of favorite Master Shake quotes from Aqua Teen Hunger Force called "Bring It On I'm Ready".

Enjoy. [Smile]

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 27, 2006 22:43      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy. Atmospheric. Think I will plunk on my iPod (if I remember to recharge it today). Should make my daily commute less drab. :-)

Much better than my experiment with Garage Band. [blush]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 03:34      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nicely done. Worth putting into the iTunes for sure.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 28, 2006 03:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klaatoo's speech
" I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grown smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this, when they made laws to govern themselves, and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets, and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority, is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in space-ships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us ... this power cannot be revoked. At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is, we live in peace; without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple ... join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer ... the decision rests with you. "

I had to go look this up to remeber it after reading this post.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 08:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] I did a bunch of loop things, but I prefer Soundtrack. I started using Garageband after a long period of using Soundtrack and the difference was night and day.

Garageband is just ok. I find it frustrating and stupid in a lot of respects. For example, if you want to change the volume or panning within a track, you have to manually drag those little blobs up and down where with Soundtrack you can just option arrow the point. The blobs they use for track points are not very precise and somtimes when you try to click on them, you get a new point instead. [Mad] Also the panning controls don't let you use the whole spectrum of the pan. You have to go to each notch they have and not in between. The VU meters still do not have numbers on them telling you the dbs. Sometimes Garageband is arbitrary as to whether a piece of a track you recorded will be a loop or a one-shot. Sometimes when you try to add to the loop library, the choice for making it a loop or one-shot is grayed out with one-shot selected for you.

That being said, I'm now working on a project using Garageband because the amp simulations and some of the synths are pretty good. As far as the synths go, most of them are pretty cheesy. It seems they wanted to cater to the ambient-techo crowd. Most of them are too clean sounding and have waaaay too much reverb and echo. I found a free software synth called Crystal that is just incredible. Alot of cool presets and analog synth sounds, plus you're able to construct your own sounds from patches.

The piano and organ sounds are good, but the acoustic guitars and electric guitars are just too "digital" sounding to my ears. Again, a lot of these have too much reverb/echo and chorus on them. Of course you can change them, but they still don't sound good to me.

The effects included are ok, but I use various plug-ins from others that are so much better.

I was hoping some of these issues would have been addressed in the new iLife, but instead they decided to make it into a glorified radio station instead. [Mad] Guess they want to sell more copies of Logic. (Which I would like to have, but can't afford).

Sorry for the rant, I didn't want to take any of your thunder, but I had to vent... [ohwell]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture