homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Christo and Jeanne-Claude's The Gates (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christo and Jeanne-Claude's The Gates
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 11, 2005 17:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not Bill, it's The Gates, in New York's Central Park.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/02/11/Arts/christogates050211.html

More info here, at the artist's site.
http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

hopefully some NYC geeks can see and report on this. [thumbsup]

-

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 20:44      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the guy who wrapped the Reichstag building in plastic?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 21:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That looks totally cool! I want to go see it!

Now, just add a big snow and it looks like a downhill ski course, just horizontal.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 22:09      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about horizontal skiing, but I've been told I'm quite good at horizontal dancing.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 06:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I don't know about horizontal skiing, but I've been told I'm quite good at horizontal dancing.

Did Palmela Handerson tell you that?

*grin*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 06:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, a lot of us (NYers) are saying "They're spending $21 M on what?!" Personally, it's not quite my thing. I'm going to be around in the city this weekend (though mostly in Brooklyn), and I may check it out just for the hell of it. That doesn't mean I necessarily approve of it, but that I'll have a few hours to kill, and some pictures to take. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 08:03      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This link was in metafilter yesterday...

http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 08:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
This link was in metafilter yesterday...

http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm

[Big Grin]

That's hilarious.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 18, 2005 08:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha ha that really is good - I like it, unlike the other set which just seem stupid to me...

And before I get called a Philistine, I LIKE the Angel of the North a not very good pic of it here

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 11:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like 'em. Wish I could see them in person though.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 13:31      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our lovely northern angel is far nicer. Not that I'm biased in anyway, at all.

/me dons flatcap and goes for a walk in the hills [Razz]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 16:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you have to see the Gates to "get" the effect, sometimes photos just don't do things the justice they deserve, but overall - "nah", just seems silly to me..
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 17:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if they are willing to pay that much for metal frames covered in cloth. I think everyone here at GC could pool all of our outdated computer cases together and make a hell of a $20 Mil sculpture. Just to make it look like we are cutting them a deal. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 18:13      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually... that might could work.

Shroom, you are a genius.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 18:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me takes a bow and a 60% cut.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 20:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, it's ~13 miles worth of gates, and about ~7500 gates. I'm pulling those numbers out of thin air - I think that's roughly what I read the other day. One of my colleagues pointed out that $20 M could go a long way in fighting disease (think Gates Foundation vaccination program), as opposed to this. To me, it's a whole lot of money for a 2 week installment.

And if my day goes a little better tomorrow, I won't actually have time to see the gates, unless my day goes *really well.*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 20:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wasted $20 Million on that?? C'mon, think of the bombs they could have been dropping on the huddeled masses over in Iraq. I mean *sheesh* when are they going to get serious about finding those weapons of mass destruction.

-

In other news, Bush tells Syria to remove troops, adhere to UN resolutions and stop influencing other countries with military power.

/Irony

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 23:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
In other news, Bush tells Syria to remove troops, adhere to UN resolutions and stop influencing other countries with military power.

/Irony

I had to laugh the other morning, some whitehouse spokes-droid was commenting on the bombing in Beirut, his points were

- Syria has 15,000 troops in Lebanon, which means the bombing must have Syrian approval, because with that many troops, they'd have total control of what goes on

- Syria sent troops to Lebanon without UN approval

- Syrias excuse for having troops in Lebabon is to provide stability and security, and they've obviously failed at that, so it's time for them to leave.

Sheer comic genius.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 05:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 05:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:

It's great. Methinks the Cap'n has been spending a bit of time on fark.com lately, it's a cliche over there

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 06:13      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

/Irony

I had to laugh the other morning, some whitehouse spokes-droid was commenting on the bombing in Beirut, his points were

- Syria has 15,000 troops in Lebanon, which means the bombing must have Syrian approval, because with that many troops, they'd have total control of what goes on

- Syria sent troops to Lebanon without UN approval

- Syrias excuse for having troops in Lebabon is to provide stability and security, and they've obviously failed at that, so it's time for them to leave.

Sheer comic genius.

Yes, I know this is all getting a bit off-topic, but this whole Syria/Lebanon thing is starting to get a little scary, doncha think? Especially in the light of the recent announcement of a "common front" between Iran and Syria:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4270859.stm

Add to that the anti-Iran sabre-rattling by the present US administration and from where I'm sitting it looks like Desert Storm 3 is, to misquote the Strolling Bones, only a shot away...

:-(

*sigh*

Anyone want a beer while we're waiting?

/me goes off in pursuit of alcoholically-induced temporary oblivion...

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 09:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

It's great. Methinks the Cap'n has been spending a bit of time on fark.com lately, it's a cliche over there
My cover is blown.

I was lonely [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 14:33      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this one is courtesy of boingboing:

http://www.smilinggoat.com/crackers.html

Hmm... Do I detect a pattern emerging here?...

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 14:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Maybe they just left the 'i' out of Rick's last name? It's hard for us Yanks to spell those tough Canuck surnames, eh. [blush]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 15:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo,

Moranis "rocks" especially liked his "Dark Helmet" in "Spaceballs" definite ROFLMAO stuff

A top "geeky" comic genius...

[Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture