homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » The Wizards of Technology! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Wizards of Technology!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 22, 2004 08:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who haven't visited and heard The Wizards of Technology, you're in for a treat. WoT is DigitalBill's and his trusty pal MisterMarc's technology site and podcast!

http://www.wizardsoftechnology.com/

The WoTs offer a really geeky and fun show, in their words.. "It's all about US being Geeks, so YOU don't have to be. You shouldn't HAVE to be a geek or a tech wizard to understandľor just useľall this new Technology, but sometimes it's just too much, and that's where we come in.

We're here to help you understand technology... not just computers - PCs and Macs - but all kinds of technology, like cell phones, digital cameras, Digital Video Recorders, anything you can think of... we've probably used it!"

As anyone who knows DigitalBill knows, he's a real pro in everything he does, and I expect great things to come from these Wizards. Check 'em out, and download some of their podcasts for a listen! And yes, they take requests and answer your techie questions [thumbsup]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 09, 2004 13:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The WoT wizards have a couple new episodes up... their

First Annual Holiday Technology Top 10 List

and the latest epsiode. (commentary on tech news, listener mail, and how to get started blogging)

nice work DB and MM!

P.S. I love those plugs [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 14:51      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks, Snaggy! We have so much fun doing the show... we're getting listeners from as far as Australia and Japan, and I know for a fact that there are those within Apple that listen to the podcasts.

I know the level of things we talk about might be under some of the Alpha Geeks here, but we're always looking for tech topics to discuss, and since not everyone is a geek of all trades, maybe there's some non-cpu-related geekiness we can help you with...

Post here, or send us an email or audio mp3 question to [email protected]

And thanks for listening!

=DigitalBill (and MisterMarc, by proxy)

quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
The WoT wizards have a couple new episodes up... their

First Annual Holiday Technology Top 10 List

and the latest epsiode. (commentary on tech news, listener mail, and how to get started blogging)

nice work DB and MM!

P.S. I love those plugs [Big Grin]

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2004 23:34      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a a quick note to let you know the new episode it up over at
http://www.wizardsoftechnology.com/?q=node/view/52
or just subscribe in your iPodder client.

We're looking for feedback on show content... more news & views? or more how-tos? Drop us a line and let us know what you think!

=DB

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2004 10:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
# 3 - A Veritable Cornucopia of Geek Gifties!!!

* www.joyoftech.coml

And what to my wondering eyes did appear?
But a new domain type, I really do fear.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2004 13:34      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
# 3 - A Veritable Cornucopia of Geek Gifties!!!

* coml[/b]]www.joyoftech.coml

And what to my wondering eyes did appear?
But a new domain type, I really do fear.

When I saw this, I needed a hypo...
but the link was correct, the rest just a typo.

(The link was to http://www.joyoftech.com/geekculturestore/index.html )

Thanks for the catch!

=DB

--------------------

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2004 23:13      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this is the unofficial Wizards of Tech Podcast thread...

There's a little Holiday podcast up... Mister Marc is on holiday, so it's just some ramblings from me, and the Geek's Night Before Christmas.

EnJoy!

=DB

--------------------

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 16:24      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here I am, talking to myself... not unlike this Tuesday's Podcast. [Wink]

The latest ediition is up, for 12/28/2004, over at:

Mister Marc continues on holiday, and I tell you were to find LEGAL non-RIAA music, and play it! Yes friends, it's Digital Bill's Dance Party!

=DB

Podcasting virtually live from http://www.wizardsoftechnology.com/

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 17:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey DigitalBill,

(Funny thing, but my uncle's last name sounds like yours but is spelled Douthit.)

What webpage creator do you use? I'm stuck using IE 5.1 at work and when I open your page, the middle column almost completely overlaps the far right column. I'll have to try opening your page at home where I use Firefox. Maybe it'll work better on a newer browser.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 18:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's using a CMS (Content Management System). In this case, it's "Drupal," and perhaps your version of IE doesn't have adequate CSS support, as his site is making very thorough (and nice) use of it.
Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 18:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I see CMS in a computer context, and immediately think Conversational Monitoring System, does that make me an old fart?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 18:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it make me a new one to think Course Management System when I see CMS? [Razz]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 18:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite likely [Razz]

Of course, my Anglican side equates CMS with this.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 17:51      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey DigitalBill,

(Funny thing, but my uncle's last name sounds like yours but is spelled Douthit.)

What webpage creator do you use? I'm stuck using IE 5.1 at work and when I open your page, the middle column almost completely overlaps the far right column. I'll have to try opening your page at home where I use Firefox. Maybe it'll work better on a newer browser.

Hi Rhonwyyn!

Well, as mentioned, we do use Drupal, which, like Movable Type or WordPress, has templates set up that are based (heavily) on CSS for page layout. And to my knowledge, most versions of IE (Mac and PC) are pretty inadequate in CSS rendering. Firefox should be great. Oh, and if you're still using IE on Windows, CUT IT OUT! It's not only crap, but it's full of security holes for viruses, spyware and all sorts of malware.

As for CMS, it reminds me of an old storage company that used to make Syquest drives for Macs...

=DB

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 17:57      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
Oh, and if you're still using IE on Windows, CUT IT OUT! It's not only crap, but it's full of security holes for viruses, spyware and all sorts of malware.

Actually, IIRC, she's running a locked down desktop at work where she has no control over what browser she uses. Silly IT section [shake head]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 18:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sticking up for me, CSK!! [Big Grin]

Yeah, I am locked into IE 5.1--on a Mac of all places!--here at work. At home I only run Firefox. It's been my browser of choice for the last two or three years (well, Mozilla and now Firefox). If I wanted to access my work e-mail t home, I'd have to reinstall IE 'cause our e-mail is on a Microsoft Outlook Server type of setup. Too bad they've never heard of good ole POP mail here. [Frown]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 18:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if it's an Exchange server, sometimes they have POP or IMAP enabled, so you may have a chance of accessing it via Thunderbird, or your email client of choice.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 18:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only....

but Clipper's not that user-friendly. I have to sign on using their specific website and if I even breathe a word of its location to anyone I'll get my privileges curtailed....

[ohwell]

Oh, and my e-mail client of choice is Yahoo.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 18:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, no gmail?

Actually, gmail is really nice for a web based client. Plus it can do the collect mail from other POP servers thing, too.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 19:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But because I spend most of my time online at work, and I can't access gmail on IE 5.1, Yahoo is my favorite at the moment. (Of course, I've been using Yahoo for much longer than I have used gmail.)

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 19:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I didn't think of that. They just need to be convinced of the need to upgrade/change their web browser, then all your problems will disappear.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 20:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically.

Wait... ALL of my problems?! [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 20:35      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Basically.

Wait... ALL of my problems?! [Wink]

Just checking your proofreading. I could post some sort of a smart aleck response here, but that would be all ungentlemanlike [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 20:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but that would be all ungentlemanlike
Since when has that stopped you? [Razz]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 21:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since when has that stopped you? [Razz]

That'll teach me to be nice [cry baby]

Not that you aren't right [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

ę 2015 Geek Culture