homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Com sci class sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Com sci class sucks
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 07:00      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I go to the collage this moaring and walk in, turns out that I did something wrong on our group progect because right when I step in the lab, this guy, jeff, starts yelling at me. Apparently I did not return his e-mail, and did not e-mail him my flowchart. so he spends 15 minutes grilling me, since he figures if I screw up it's his grade, not just mine, and dosent want that to happen again. Unfortunatly my computer can't do anything right now, and I have no time to drop everyting and drive 20 minutes to campus and back to do this project. Granted, this guy is older than the rest of us (he's balding) but seems to think that he can do crap like this because were "younger and less explerienced" only I have this class and High school and a part time job to juggle.
anyways, sorry about the flame, I wish jeff would lay back, this is collage.

--------------------
Eating Tv dinners sitting by the pool
arent' you glad we finished school?

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 08:07      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by knightwhosaysNI:
Granted, this guy is older than the rest of us (he's balding) but seems to think that he can do crap like this because were "younger and less explerienced" only I have this class and High school and a part time job to juggle.
anyways, sorry about the flame, I wish jeff would lay back, this is collage.

Maybe he thinks he can do stuff like that because he's more responsible than you. What happens when you get a job in the field and you do something like that and get fired? Tell the boss to, "Lay back, it only a job?" Have you thought that maybe he has other things to do also and you wasted his time? And it's college not collage. You should have learned that by now. [Roll Eyes] Oh, maybe I should lay back, it's only spelling. It's not like misspelling makes you look uneducated. After all, you're going to collage. [Razz]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 00:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go GMx!!! [Big Grin] Way to give him "what for."

[Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 03:54      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall plot of a fellow I met:
Assign insanely loose projects with a 2 week deadline, so that the students must figure out what the problem is (since in real life you don't get smacked in the face with a problem statement)
2 Days before it's due: "Oh, I gave you THAT assignment? I meant to give you this one. Oh, and it's still due in 2 days" (To give his class a feel of *real* deadlines) [Razz]

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 07:22      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lecturer here that likes to give projects he thinks are "fun" sometimes without realizing how difficult they are. He gave us an assembler for Data Structures and algos, and 3 weeks to get it done in. In Computer Orginization and Assembly language he gave one class an [exception handler/Trap] that provides system calls to print strings and print ints, reads in strings, read ints as hex, read ints as oct, read ints as dec and a few others. The conversions aren't that hard, it's the making it reenterent and such that was the big deal. He doesn't repeat the ones that are too big and people complain about, but when goes swimmingly he often reuses it.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 08:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Assign insanely loose projects with a 2 week deadline, so that the students must figure out what the problem is (since in real life you don't get smacked in the face with a problem statement)
2 Days before it's due: "Oh, I gave you THAT assignment? I meant to give you this one. Oh, and it's still due in 2 days" (To give his class a feel of *real* deadlines) [Razz]

Lets not forget the inane visits to their desk 3 times a day to say, "so how's it coming along"? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 08:52      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Lets not forget the inane visits to their desk 3 times a day to say, "so how's it coming along"? [Roll Eyes]
Only 3 times a day???? I'd welcome that with open arms!

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 08:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
quote:
quote:

Did I say day? WTF was I thinking. I meant hour.
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 12:45      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
quote:
quote:

Ummmmmmmmmmm yeah...
We needs to have a talk about your TPS reports... [Razz]

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 13:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by knightwhosaysNI:
I wish jeff would lay back, this is collage.

I'm not sure what you mean be college, but if you're doing CompSci I'm assuming you mean the equivalent of uni level over here in the good ol' U of K - Jeff being a mature student also suggests this. In that situation, projects are important. If someone I was working with on a project screwed up, I'd be down on them like a very sarcastic and nasty tonne of bricks. Because Jeff is right - you are affecting everyone elses grade, and these grades are what will get you guys jobs in the future.

Now whether he was out of line with the amount of nastiness is another question - how major is the project, and the role you are playing in it? I can't tell this from the amount of detail in your post, but if it's assessed - even to a minor level, like a couple of percent - the project is important. See it as something that could determine between a good grade and a great grade, and is putting in a 20min cycle ride/bus journey/or even car journey worth that?

Talk to Jeff, tell him you think what he's saying is unfair, but be prepared for critisism back if you're not pulling your weight

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 15:26      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It annoys the hell out of my dad when people don't pull their weight in class as it makes him feel like he's done a half-arsed job. I get annoyed with people at uni who bitch about the workload, I just get on and love my course (Especially now that we have G5 Powermacs in the department). People who go to uni know the workload is hard, much like in the real world. Deadlines = grades/money.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 07, 2004 03:40      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CMPSCI class sucks too. It's only "Intro Into Programming" - language of choice being VB.NET - but it's going crappily. We've had two quizzes thus far, and I'm turning out relatively low scores. I take notes on everything and read all of the chapters, and I thought I understood the material. I help some of the guys in my class with understanding Visual Logic expressions and operator precedence (only our third week in the class), and compound conditions, and I can figure out the programming exercises the instructor gives us... I understand all of the programming commands, notation, etc. that I have to implement, but I don't understand how the damn computer WORKS [weep] It's too much! "This refers to This, which refers to This, followed by These, followed by These, and These. All of THIS is called.." CRAP, that's what it's called.

And now I'm really behind. We're supposed to turn in our first program next Wednesday, of which we were supposed to have already completed bubble and flow charts for, at the minimum. I'm positive there are people in my class that are already done with the whole project. I can't even work on mine at home because XP decided it didn't want to install VB.NET, so I'll have to make several trips to the CC. this week[end].

*Sigh* I really need to get into karate...

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2004 06:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
but if it's assessed - even to a minor level, like a couple of percent [/QB]

I think it's safe to assume that if it's "college" that he's in, then it's worth at least a couple of percent, since in post-secondary education, there isn't much you can just throw away, there's usually a lot less work to be handed-in/tested on, but it's worth a whole lot more.

.. at least that's what I've noticed.

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2004 06:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of times assignments in the math and science departments are not graded, however failure to them means your not ready to take the exams. Most/all programming assignments I've ever had to do were indeed graded -- and group project is almost certianly going to be a graded item.

Flow Chart isn't terribly important on large scale stuff... It gets to big and unmanagable. UML class diagram and use cases might be a better idea.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 09, 2004 18:56      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CS class is weird. It's taught in JAVA, which is allright because it's a beginning programming course. We never do group projects, all we do is get programs to complete by ourselves (for example: "Program Divisibles: Find the forty-four digit whole numbers that are divisible by the product of their digits."). The programs aren't that difficult, there's just a whole lot of them. At the end of the grading period, the teacher checks to see who's done the most programs; that person gets a 96. The person who's done the least gets an 85, and everyone else's grade is based on a linear regression curve. Then the tests scores are averaged in with your program grade. This counts as an AP course, but everyone who took this class last year and took the AP exam made a 1 -- every single person in the class. I think I'm just going to do independant studying if I intend to take the exam, which I most likely won't.

So that's my rant about CS...twinkletoes, I feel your frustration.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 19:30      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goo, our AP CS class is taught by a GE programmer-gone-manager-gone- math-teacher-and-CS-teacher. He's a cool guy. And a VERY serious teacher. You won't get off with anything with him. Last year we won the GE state CS competition, and TopCoder High School a bit ago. Unfortunately our AP CS class will be much smaller next year. Perhaps 4 at most [Frown]

AP CS is only offered every other year, and in between are introductory CS courses (which are strictly required for AP CS), which means Visual Basic [Frown] . We get weekly-ish chapter tests, and follow a book that seems to be written for retards (it goes so far as to explain how to open VB studio). The tests are easy, but I usually get tripped up on a question or two and end up with a 96ish. Most porgramming exercises are graded on done/not done, but we also have a case study that counts as about half a test (One case study grade per chapter/test).

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 10:44      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took APCS when it was in C++. Loser teacher didn't prepare us, though not as bad as your experience (I ended up with a 3; all the other AP exams I've taken, I've gotten a 5). But let me see if I've got this straight - everyone gets between 85 and 96 percent? So, everyone gets an A or B, and you have no chance of doing better or worse?

Sounds like someone is worried about job security ...

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 10:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
no chance of doing better or worse?

Damn commies [Razz]
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2004 13:39      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
But let me see if I've got this straight - everyone gets between 85 and 96 percent? So, everyone gets an A or B, and you have no chance of doing better or worse?

That's the worst or best you can get on your program grades, but you can get from 0 to 100 on test grades.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2004 14:46      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is still a retarded policy.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 18, 2004 22:41      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The college where I took my computer tech course had all the programs divided between "academic" and "trades & tech". On the academic side, a passing mark was 50%. On the trades side, a passing mark was 75%. Some bright admin type apparently decided that trades were easier, so they set the passing mark higher. This results in silly situations like a class in programming with visual basic. If you are taking computer operations (an academic course) and get a final grade of 72%, you pass with a C+. If you are taking computer technician or robotics (a trades course) and get the same grade on the same class, you fail.

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 03:38      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
QUOTE]Ummmmmmmmmmm yeah...
We needs to have a talk about your TPS reports... [Razz]

Just so you know, i'm sitting at my desk, bleeding outta my ass. that was classic! now where's my stapler gone?
Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture