homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Taco is my name

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taco is my name
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 20:15      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writing songs and poems is my game...

So, basically, I'm working on a "solo" project of mine, aside from my band, and I'm looking for some critizism on the title track's lyrics. The album is "Smoke in the Trees" and the artists name is Lives Lazareth. . . It's hippie... ish...

hope someone likes it...

quote:
We all try to fight the system
we rebel however we can
but why is it in the end
we do what it is they command

they want a fight
so they can bring you to their level
they beat you with experience
and then they sit back and revel

This is the chorus, I'll only tell you this once
why do we walk
wherever we please
and why do we care
for the wars over the seas

Why do we bother when we're
on our knees
why do we care when to them we're just
smoke in the trees
end of chorus

The sun isn't the only light in the sky
and it's not the only thing that glows
Gold doesn't glitter in the dark
and silver doesn't shine when the light is low

There's alot to learn in a world like this
and noone could ever learn it all
The devil would like you to think that
You can't go from Saul to Paul

Why do we walk
wherever we please
and why do we care

why do we bother when we're
on our knees
the smoke in the trees

/bridge-like-
thing-before-the-electric
-guitar-break/

By closing our eyes so we don't see the pain
we allow the terrorists in
by being overtaken by fear
we allow the terrorists to win
end of break-type-thing

Why do we walk
wherever we please
and why do we care

why do we bother when we're
on our knees
smoke in the trees

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 21:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you THEE Taco ?
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 21:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Are you THEE Taco ?

He wasn't even *born* then...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 31, 2004 01:12      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, I thought you were talking about the little green dog from Spun! [Big Grin] [tired]
Punk rock cool, TCTQ! Familiar in many ways of my brother's own punk rock band. ('Cept yours is probably much better)

--Keep up the good work!, C.P.

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2004 10:49      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that the messages is punk perse, but the music isn't EXACTLY. This song in particular has a sound to it that is more Beatles*. I mean, there is a harpsicord, an acoustic guitar, and me drumming on the back of the acoustic guitar for percussion, for the majority of the song except for the guitar solo. And thats done with hardly any punk sound to it. Three songs out of 7 are admittedly kind of punk/heavy metal-ish. The rest are acoustic, and not just acoustic, but alternately tuned. With lots and lots of strange keyboarded instruments*.

1. Could almost say think 'Eleanor Rigby', it's in the same key...
2. Harpsicord, JUST a piano in one song and a Glockenspiel(sp?)

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 31, 2004 16:06      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Beatles rule! Me and my momma have been collecting Beatles stuff since she was in college and I was in the 8th grade! yeah!
So, with the harpsichord in mind, does it sound anything like Because? (Abbey Road) Cuz that song rules! [Razz]
Good fortune to all your punk-rock-hippie-metal endevours!

--Clover, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 11:16      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TCTQ says: "With lots and lots of strange keyboarded instruments ... Harpsicord, JUST a piano in one song and a Glockenspiel(sp?)"

Those aren't strnage instruments at all. A Glock isn't really a keyboard instrument though (although it is arranged as a keyboard), it is really in the percussion family.

Beatles and early rock... nice and simple...
I - IV - V - I Repeat ad infinitum... Perhaps add a ii in second inversiong between the IV or V, or add a V7 or dim vii for a little twist.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 22:17      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
TCTQ says: "With lots and lots of strange keyboarded instruments ... Harpsicord, JUST a piano in one song and a Glockenspiel(sp?)"

Those aren't strnage instruments at all. A Glock isn't really a keyboard instrument though (although it is arranged as a keyboard), it is really in the percussion family.

Beatles and early rock... nice and simple...
I - IV - V - I Repeat ad infinitum... Perhaps add a ii in second inversiong between the IV or V, or add a V7 or dim vii for a little twist.

Well, I meant arranged as a keyboard.

The cool thing is, this is all acoustic, so, the Glock isn't done with an electrical device, I actually have to hit the stupid thing [Smile] . I'd say these instruments are strange because they aren't involved in modern music, for the most part. It's turning into a nice mix of instrumentation. We'll see... and I think I'm keeping it to one song for now... but whatever.

There is only 1 chord on the guitar that I play, and thats an open strum with the guitar tuned

E E E E B E

But thats all I can give away.

--------------------

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 12:00      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tip: To anyone who decides to use a real harpsicord in a recording, they are extremely hard to mic.

--------------------

SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 06:22      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A Glock isn't really a keyboard instrument though (although it is arranged as a keyboard), it is really in the percussion family.

The piano is percussion too, actually.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 22:07      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
quote:
A Glock isn't really a keyboard instrument though (although it is arranged as a keyboard), it is really in the percussion family.

The piano is percussion too, actually.
Is it percussion? or is it strings?

It consists of both... and technically is both... but pianos are seen in a slightly different category that just strings or percussion, because they can be played both ways... You can have the soothing tones of a chamber musician playing a piano, or the percussive swing of Jerry Lee Lewis... depending on who and how it is being played, it is both

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 07:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything that is hit with a mallet or a stick is considered percussion. The piano has mallets hitting strings, so it's considered a percussion instrument.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 09:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, GMx, does that mean unruly children are a percussion instrament? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture