homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

Forum Home Post A Reply

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home


» The Geek Culture Forums! » News, Reviews, Views! » Our stupid lives » Life without Internet "unbearable". » Post A Reply


Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password (max 13 characters):
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

 

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused   Happytears  
blush   Beard of Peter Gabriel!   crazy   tired   ohwell   evil  
shake head   cry baby   hearts   weep   devil wand   thumbsup  
thumbsdown   Geek   Applause   Angel   Envy    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options


Disable Graemlins in this post.


 


T O P I C     R E V I E W
Snaggy
Member # 123
 - posted September 22, 2004 09:25
heh.. funny how not having a life can seem like a life. [Wink]

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BB0361CD7-6B85-4808-860B-9EE55739D9BE%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbc
 
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814
 - posted September 22, 2004 09:33
Heh. Aside from the fact that I write software for an INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, I most certainly couldn't go without Internet.

I spend 12-16 hours a day in front of a computer on the Internet. My business relies on it, my career relies on it, it's how I contact most of my friends who're farther than a drive away from me (which as of now is all of them.), it's how I do my banking, my bill payments, and it's my entertainment.

Without the internet.. I'd be like.. stuck in the 80s. [Razz]
 
Mac D
Member # 2926
 - posted September 22, 2004 09:49
Just the thought of it makes me shutter. How would I look up maps, or look at the web pages my wife doesn't know about (Admit it we all do it) Or check my account, The phone bank thing takes way too long. How would I buy concert tickets? It's just makes every thing so easy. So no i could never do that test. I'm just too addicted, I need it. If I go to the cabin for the weekend I even know of a hot spot in a near by city so I can check my e-mail. I have a list of hotspots on my computer just in case my Cable modem died and i needed to get my fix.

quote:
K's Choice

It's not a habbit it's cool, I feel alive.

I can quit at any time, I don't have a problem (This last part is a lie)
 
Oz, the Wizard of
Member # 1454
 - posted September 22, 2004 13:33
Thanks to the internet, my RA is convinced that I run on Japan Time. *bloodshot eyes*

Internet isn't the only thing in my life, it's just the most time-consuming.
 
supergoo
Member # 2280
 - posted September 22, 2004 15:39
I've given up AIM for lent in hopes of being more productive, getting more sleep, and having a more well-rounded life in general.
All that happened was I found new and creative ways to waste time. Make book covers out of grocery bags and duct tape, paint my nails, organize my shoes, take doggy for a walk...that sort of thing.
40 days later, I was back online again, thinking of not-so-creative ways to waste time.
 
The Famous Druid
Member # 1769
 - posted September 22, 2004 15:46
Hey, I got paid $90 for 5 minutes on the internet last night, why would I want to give it up?
 
dragonman97
Member # 780
 - posted September 22, 2004 15:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Hey, I got paid $90 for 5 minutes on the internet last night, why would I want to give it up?

Whoa...what kind of crazy stuff did MTB or Zorro put you up to? [evil]

Seriously, though - dude, that's friggin' grand -- hell of a lot better than my consulting services [Smile] . If it's any kind of public-participating system, and I'll not be bad competition, drop me a P/M...I'm probably interested.
 
The Famous Druid
Member # 1769
 - posted September 22, 2004 16:28
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Hey, I got paid $90 for 5 minutes on the internet last night, why would I want to give it up?

Whoa...what kind of crazy stuff did MTB or Zorro put you up to? [evil]

Seriously, though - dude, that's friggin' grand -- hell of a lot better than my consulting services [Smile] . If it's any kind of public-participating system, and I'll not be bad competition, drop me a P/M...I'm probably interested.

Just went live with a client site in the UK.

My deal with work is I'm available for support calls 24/7, but if it's after 9pm, there's a $90 minimum. 9:15 last night, phone rings, SSH in to the system, write a 10 line shell script, *KA-CHING* !
 
Noldoaran
Member # 2003
 - posted September 22, 2004 16:35
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Hey, I got paid $90 for 5 minutes on the internet last night, why would I want to give it up?

Whoa...what kind of crazy stuff did MTB or Zorro put you up to? [evil]

Seriously, though - dude, that's friggin' grand -- hell of a lot better than my consulting services [Smile] . If it's any kind of public-participating system, and I'll not be bad competition, drop me a P/M...I'm probably interested.

Just went live with a client site in the UK.

My deal with work is I'm available for support calls 24/7, but if it's after 9pm, there's a $90 minimum. 9:15 last night, phone rings, SSH in to the system, write a 10 line shell script, *KA-CHING* !

$90 for ten lines wow!! $9/line... I could write enough lines to get myself a new coumputer, if I got that pay..
 
Serenak
Member # 2950
 - posted September 22, 2004 16:51
quote:
$90 for ten lines wow!! $9/line... I could write enough lines to get myself a new coumputer, if I got that pay..

Don't know what Druid does but when i used to freelance (graphics/prepress/print) GBP40 (USD60?) per hour was normal (min wage here is c.GBP4) but you have to remember freelancing is unreliable you probably work 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, rest is admin, pitching, etc. (Don't forget that's gross - expenses have to come out of that...
 
The Famous Druid
Member # 1769
 - posted September 22, 2004 17:37
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Don't know what Druid does but when i used to freelance (graphics/prepress/print) GBP40 (USD60?) per hour was normal (min wage here is c.GBP4)

Yes, I'm contracting, and that's $A 90, which is about $US 63

Also, that's not my normal hourly rate, it's what I negotiated with the client as my "getting out of bed at 3AM" fee. When I do get out of bed at 3AM, $90 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Last night I got lucky, the call came in at a fairly civilized hour, and was a quick fix.
 
csk
Member # 1941
 - posted September 22, 2004 18:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Don't know what Druid does but when i used to freelance (graphics/prepress/print) GBP40 (USD60?) per hour was normal (min wage here is c.GBP4)

Yes, I'm contracting, and that's $A 90, which is about $US 63

Also, that's not my normal hourly rate, it's what I negotiated with the client as my "getting out of bed at 3AM" fee. When I do get out of bed at 3AM, $90 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Last night I got lucky, the call came in at a fairly civilized hour, and was a quick fix.

Wow! Should I be telling my ex-workmates at the company that your company took over this? We weren't getting anywhere near that good an after-hours deal as that. (flat $5000AU or so a year to be on call 24/7)
 
The Famous Druid
Member # 1769
 - posted September 22, 2004 18:18
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Wow! Should I be telling my ex-workmates at the company that your company took over this? We weren't getting anywhere near that good an after-hours deal as that. (flat $5000AU or so a year to be on call 24/7)

Permies put up with all sorts of shit we contractors wouldn't.
The whole notion of 'unpaid overtime' makes us contractors laugh, if the meter's not running, I'm not working. [Wink]

btw - the whole area of compensation for on-call support varies widely. Some years ago, at another Large Corporation I won't name, staff got paid 1/4 their normal hourly rate just for carrying a beeper, that adds up to big money fairly quickly.

Another Large Multinational didn't pay for on-call at all, "You're professionals, it goes with the job".
 
csk
Member # 1941
 - posted September 22, 2004 18:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Wow! Should I be telling my ex-workmates at the company that your company took over this? We weren't getting anywhere near that good an after-hours deal as that. (flat $5000AU or so a year to be on call 24/7)

Permies put up with all sorts of shit we contractors wouldn't.
The whole notion of 'unpaid overtime' makes us contractors laugh, if the meter's not running, I'm not working. [Wink]

Who said they were permanents? Quite a few were on the rolling x month contract system. Now most of them probably won't get their contracts renewed, especially since I was reading in the paper that the standard system is going to be that of the taking-over company.

Edit: for those totally confused, I used to work at company A, which has been recently taken over by company B. TFD currently (AFAIK) works for a subsidiary of company B. Small world, huh...
 
Too Cool To Quit
Member # 2217
 - posted September 23, 2004 08:57
I could survive for a little while without the internet. But without a computer at all... oh no no no no no!

If I didn't have my computer... what would I write with? Paper? Sheesh! Are you crazy!?
 
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814
 - posted September 24, 2004 04:24
Another article posted on geekculture like 3 days before slashdot.

WE ARE THE INTERNET NEWS COMMUNITY NOW!

... I need more sleep.
 
Cap'n Vic
Member # 1477
 - posted September 24, 2004 08:54
Slashdot blows goat.
 
Snaggy
Member # 123
 - posted September 24, 2004 09:05
If I didn't have my computer... what would I write with? Paper? Sheesh! Are you crazy!?

I've read that writing in longhand uses the lefthand section of the brain, the artistic side. So apparently, you can tap into that side better by writing in longhand.

Or so I read on the Internet. [Smile]
 
TMBWITW,PB
Member # 1734
 - posted September 24, 2004 09:23
Erm, actually it's the right side of the brain that is the artistic side. But if you're left handed then that works out very well.
 




Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam