homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

Forum Home Post A Reply

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home


» The Geek Culture Forums » Love! » Guys, Guys, Guys! » I like geeky guys but.... » Post A Reply


Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password (max 13 characters):
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

 

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused   Happytears  
blush   Beard of Peter Gabriel!   crazy   tired   ohwell   evil  
shake head   cry baby   hearts   weep   devil wand   thumbsup  
thumbsdown   Geek   Applause   Angel   Envy    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options


Disable Graemlins in this post.


 


T O P I C     R E V I E W
Melie
Member # 43966
 - posted December 19, 2011 15:15
Ok so other than I'm a bit of a biology/animal nerd and a photography geek, I have nothing to offer a geeky guy. Electronics practically commit suicide when I walk into the room, I don't speak computer, the last video game I played was Legend of Zelda because after that consoles got too complicated for me. I can't write source code or HTML and math is my worst enemy. So I have this shy little secret about me (that being the only shy thing because I am usually a pretty loud and outgoing person.) So my question is do geeky guys only go for geeky girls because they are shy any want to stick with what they know or are they willing to step out of their comfort zone and get involved with someone who is at the opposite end of the spectrum?
 
TheMoMan
Member # 1659
 - posted December 19, 2011 16:49
Melie____ Welcome to our forums, I am the resident OLD FART" The others will come along in a while. It has been sooo long since I was a cellar dweller I am unsure as to the new and up comeing geeks. I am into amateur radio and computers, and almost all science things and reading.
 
Ashitaka
Member # 4924
 - posted December 19, 2011 18:10
hmm , saying there is a spectrum with two sides I think greatly misrepresents the variety of personalities out there. There is not, geeky or not geeky and descreet intervals between. There are hundreds of dimensions that you would have to use to represent a personality on a spectrum or graph.

but bac to your question.

yes.

-ash
 
dragonman97
Member # 780
 - posted December 19, 2011 19:16
Willing? Yes/probably.

I think really the most important thing is to accept the person as s/he is, and not try to change him/her. That is, if a geek is into, well...geeky things, don't be dismissive of that. That doesn't mean you have to love programming, grok source code, or be a gamer...it just means that you should appreciate the passion he has for that stuff, and smile & nod. [Smile] [Needless to say, he should do the same for interests of yours that may not thoroughly fascinate him.]

Given the regrettable paucity of geek girls (they're out there somewhere, though many are 'taken'), it's in the natural order of things for geeks & non-geeks to get together. Furthermore, it's been said for ages that 'opposites attract,' so yeah...if there's some geek guy out there you like, go for it! [Smile]

(Oh, and if you see him with an all text screen doing stuff, don't say "That's like DOS.")
 
GrumpySteen
Member # 170
 - posted December 19, 2011 19:52
Melie wrote:
my question is do geeky guys only go for geeky girls because they are shy any want to stick with what they know or are they willing to step out of their comfort zone and get involved with someone who is at the opposite end of the spectrum?

Any single geek worth dating is going to willing to date almost anyone who isn't obviously incompatible. You will find, however, that they are far more hesitant to make the first move and subtle hints are lost on them. Making the first move is good. At the very least, be blunt about wanting them to ask you out... "are you going to ask me out or do I have to be more obvious about wanting you to?" works.

Having said that, there are the proverbial basement dwellers out there who can't handle human interaction at any level beyond that of a ten year old. Most of them won't go out with you and that's probably a good thing because you probably don't want to date someone with a ten year old's mentality. Unfortunately you'll wind up dating one sooner or later. Hopefully you won't let the ensuing train wreck sour you on dating geeks.
 
Melie
Member # 43966
 - posted December 19, 2011 20:14
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Willing? Yes/probably.

I think really the most important thing is to accept the person as s/he is, and not try to change him/her. That is, if a geek is into, well...geeky things, don't be dismissive of that. That doesn't mean you have to love programming, grok source code, or be a gamer...it just means that you should appreciate the passion he has for that stuff, and smile & nod. [Smile] [Needless to say, he should do the same for interests of yours that may not thoroughly fascinate him.]

Given the regrettable paucity of geek girls (they're out there somewhere, though many are 'taken'), it's in the natural order of things for geeks & non-geeks to get together. Furthermore, it's been said for ages that 'opposites attract,' so yeah...if there's some geek guy out there you like, go for it! [Smile]

(Oh, and if you see him with an all text screen doing stuff, don't say "That's like DOS.")

oh don't get me wrong. Just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean that I don't find it interesting. I'd love learning new things and though I may not really get it, I'll try and have fun spending time with him.
 
zesovietrussian
Member # 1177
 - posted December 19, 2011 23:55
If your signature doesn't make you a geek, nothing will [Smile]
 
dragonman97
Member # 780
 - posted December 20, 2011 00:40
quote:
Originally posted by Melie:
oh don't get me wrong. Just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean that I don't find it interesting. I'd love learning new things and though I may not really get it, I'll try and have fun spending time with him.

I wasn't attributing those [negative] things to you, simply offering ideas wrapped around a cautionary form of 'what not to do.' (Loosely derived from my own dealings with a certain someone with whom a good bit of chemistry exists, but which I thing would go terribly pear-shaped as a relationship.)

Plus, I second zsr's sentiment, all the more so based on your link in another thread. You clearly appear to be a clever one, with a healthy number of grey cells -- and you don't seem to be afraid to use them. That's a good thing. [Smile]
 
Stibbons
Member # 2515
 - posted December 20, 2011 10:56
Geek guys tend to seek SOs with brains and interests (ie geeks). My VELP is the complete opposite type of geek to me, other than a shared love of Firefly. Like you she's hopeless with computers, thinks Farmville is the pinacle of computer gaming, and goes to sleep whenever I try and med geek her. However she loves her chemistry and oligonucleotide stuff (that sends me to sleep), and its the qualities of geekiness that attracted me to her in the first place.
 




Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam