homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

Forum Home Post A Reply

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home

» The Geek Culture Forums! » Other Geeky Stuff » Ask a Geek! » Low clearance » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password (max 13 characters):
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.


Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused   Happytears  
blush   Beard of Peter Gabriel!   crazy   tired   ohwell   evil  
shake head   cry baby   hearts   weep   devil wand   thumbsup  
thumbsdown   Geek   Applause   Angel   Envy    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?

Disable Graemlins in this post.


T O P I C     R E V I E W
Member # 2434
 - posted March 17, 2011 00:34
Hello everybody. Been a while. I have a bit of a problem I'm hoping somebody can help me with.

We just replaced our LCD TV with an LED TV. When I put the new TV on our existing wall mount, I found that it sits too close to the wall to actually plug any of the cables in. I want to get some spacers to put between the mounting rails and the TV, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that sells just spacers. I'd really rather not go through the effort (and expense) of getting a new mount. Does anybody know of a place where I could get my hands on some spacers?
Member # 4924
 - posted March 17, 2011 01:36
i am not sure what you want in spacers, All spacers in use at my house for various devices and furniture are made from fire wood.
Member # 1659
 - posted March 17, 2011 01:46
____ angryjungman, depending on how ugly it could get, you might be better off to get the right mount.

____ That said The Home Depot in the fasteners aisle has what are called fender washers, you could make a stack of them and in affect have a spacer, of course you would need longer screws, Now the Drawback would be would the load of the TV could cause the screws to bend or sag?

____ Get the correct mount.
Member # 2434
 - posted March 17, 2011 02:14
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Drawback would be would the load of the TV could cause the screws to bend or sag?

Yes, that was one of my concerns. But they do make plastic spacers specifically for this purpose. A lot of my Google searching has shown wall mounts that come with them, you just can't seem to buy them separately.
Member # 955
 - posted March 17, 2011 03:50
I like the idea of fender washers, but while you're at The Home Depot, pick up some grade 8 screws/bolts, they won't sag.
Member # 1659
 - posted March 17, 2011 05:12
____ My major concern is that the screws are going into a wall of unknown strength. Is the wall Lathe and Plaster on real 2X4s or more modern construction. Are you mounting with Molly anchors and/or toggle bolts or wood screws into drywall?

____ The good way to make sure that it will never fall is leave it on the floor, or next through bolts on the wall. Just please do not make fall hazard,

____ If you know that the fasteners are going into the studs on center there is not too much to worry about, every thing else is going to be weaker.

____ As you look at the mount, the top screws are or will be under tension,(pulling forces) the lower screws under shear (cutting forces). the closer to the wall the less tension, the less chance of pulling out. We have ours on the table mount. I am fairly sure that the drywall here would not support that thing.
Member # 955
 - posted March 17, 2011 06:33
MoMan: I believe that ajm wanted to put the spacers between the TV and the mount itself, not the mount and the wall.
Member # 1659
 - posted March 17, 2011 21:11
_____ MMKK, My only experience with these mounts is from one manufacturer and their unit is their brand specific. The TV end goes into a pocket, the wall end is designed to pick up two studs, the mount we chose is the table stand.

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0

homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam