This is topic Hello. in forum All about you! at The Geek Culture Forums.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000533

Posted by i_need_a_pillow (Member # 2765) on February 20, 2005, 13:40:
 
Hello, all. I've lurked for a while (and made a few brief and often insignificant posts), but I suppose a proper introduction is in order.

I'd consider myself young and inexperienced compared to most of the rest of you (I'm a junior in high school), but I hope I can contribute a lot to these hallowed boards (at least to the atmosphere).

I'm the kind of person who tries to study a little bit of everything (a hack of all trades?); I'm currently the editor of the school paper, JV quiz bowl team captain, and president-elect of the student body.

I've seen several discussions on grammar, spelling, style, etc., so I'll try to explain how I write.
0: I'm American and I spell like one.
1: since I do a lot of writing in a few different styles (APA for some papers, MLA for others, AP for the newspaper), I may not always be consistent.

I am a Christian, but I don't go around forcing my religion on other people (which is simply rude). Generally my religion only matters in discussions of morals, theology, etc.

I cook every now and then; usually I make desserts (chocolate is possibly the best food on in the Galaxy), but I make other things when I have time.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I apologize again for my late introduction, and I look forward to having a good time here!
 
Posted by MacManKrisK (Member # 955) on February 20, 2005, 13:55:
 
wow! Let me be the first* to welcome you to the Geek Culture forums!!

If you've been lurking, you know the standard offers of coffee, comfy seating, and, of course, the cosmic bong, which should be floating by shortly.

I'm sure you also know the standard warnings, although those seem to change often. Come to think of it, spungo must be slipping because no one has warned of him in quite some time. He's rather tame compared to his former self, I'd guess. So, uhm, watch out for Cap'n Vic, especially if he tries to give you love advice. Other than him, I think the rest of our beloved crazies wandered off and got lost, as crazies tend to do. Oh, and speaking of crazies, watch out for MacManKrisK, he takes the cosmic bong and forgets where he leaves it... and he has a habit of talking about himself in the third person. [crazy]

*see... see.. I was first! Neener, neener, neener. [Razz]
 
Posted by Black Widow (Member # 3046) on February 20, 2005, 14:03:
 
Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here. There's coffee and day old danishes in the break room. [Razz]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on February 20, 2005, 14:08:
 
Welcome, pull up a pew, grab a coffee, and join in the fun.

quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:
I'm American and I spell like one.

Oh, I'm so sorry.
Rest assured, we'll try to help you overcome your disadvantaged upbringing. [Razz]
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on February 20, 2005, 14:10:
 
Hello and welcome. There's plenty of coffee around, I believe, and I've had enough in the last 24 hours that I think I'll pass on it for a bit. [Razz]

Ooh, that reminds me, it's time to get coffee for the office again...
 
Posted by Stibbons (Member # 2515) on February 20, 2005, 15:11:
 
'ey up and welcome i_need_a_pillow. Don't worry about a late introduction, I did mine out of the way on the end of someone else's [Smile]
 
Posted by Spiderman (Member # 1609) on February 20, 2005, 15:34:
 
Welcome to the forums!

Enjoy your stay. [Smile]
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on February 20, 2005, 16:39:
 
Howdy, i_need_a_pillow, and welcome!

We appreciate your using fine communication skills, as well as your patience and politeness, especially not lording your nationality over the heathens from the third world here, such as the Australians ... [Razz]

Even the obvious error quoted below can be accepted here at GC; more so since it is obvious that you likely intended to add the phrase, "with a little garlic", immediately after the word 'chocolate'...
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:
I cook every now and then; usually I make desserts (chocolate is possibly the best food on in the Galaxy), but I make other things when I have time.

Stick around, have some fun.

Glad you're here.
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on February 20, 2005, 16:49:
 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
We appreciate your using fine communication skills, as well as your patience and politeness, especially not lording your nationality over the heathens from the third world here, such as the Australians ... [Razz]

Hey, we're not all heathens [Wink]

Oh, and welcome, i_need_a_pillow, good to have you here! Stick around, and have some fun!
 
Posted by ewomack (Member # 3225) on February 20, 2005, 19:57:
 
Hmm... don't we all insist on MLA rules of style here? Hmmmm... Just make sure to avoid fragments. Avoid. Completely. Totally. Absolutely. So here's a quiz: when should you use a fragment? Never. Correct. Never. Not once. Ever ever ever ever. Nil. ¡Nunca!

And if there's anything worse than fragments, it's pointless ellipses... Hmmm... that is worse... wow...

BIENVENUE! Welcome! May you find your pillow here!! [Big Grin] And don't worry about the grammar. If the grammar police were out in full force I would've been booted off here long ago! I mean, just READ some of MY posts. [crazy]

Also: some of us may be heathens, but we'll keep our hellhounds chained to the tree outside. [devil wand] They won't bite unless you ask really nice. [evil]
 
Posted by Zim'et (Member # 2448) on February 20, 2005, 20:31:
 
I was a junior when I started posting. Welcome to the forums. MLA rules, by the way.
 
Posted by MTB Babe (Member # 2297) on February 21, 2005, 07:33:
 
Welcome to the Forums!!
 
Posted by Swiss Mercenary (Member # 330) on February 21, 2005, 07:40:
 
Ah, now that is a nice introduction, there are some that should take example on it.

So hello and welcome.

 -

Chocolate, hmmm <whistles nonchalantly>, move along, move along, nothing to see here. [Wink]

And as I am a heathen, but from the first world [Wink] could you please enlighten me with the meaning of the TLAs; APA, MLA and AP?

P.S. I am on english origin so I do have a tendancy to write the language as she is supposed to be written [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]
 
Posted by Serenak (Member # 2950) on February 21, 2005, 07:53:
 
quote:
P.S. I am on english origin so I do have a tendancy to write the language as she is supposed to be written

P.S. I am of English origin so I do have a tendency to write the language as it was intended to be written. Surely SM?

/gets asbestos coat and flees away from the anti pedant flames...

[Big Grin]
 
Posted by drunkennewfiemidget (Member # 2814) on February 21, 2005, 09:20:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
quote:
P.S. I am on english origin so I do have a tendancy to write the language as she is supposed to be written

P.S. I am of English origin so I do have a tendency to write the language as it was intended to be written. Surely SM?

/gets asbestos coat and flees away from the anti pedant flames...

[Big Grin]

Smartass. [Wink]

welcome to the forums, i_need_some_ritalin!
 
Posted by i_need_a_pillow (Member # 2765) on February 21, 2005, 09:54:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
And as I am a heathen, but from the first world [Wink] could you please enlighten me with the meaning of the TLAs; APA, MLA and AP?

APA = American Psychological Association. Many scientific papers are written in this style.

MLA = Modern Language Association. It's the style in which papers about certain other subjects (mostly English) are supposed to be written.

AP = Associated Press. Newspaper articles are often written in this style.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!
 
Posted by n4dmx (Member # 3177) on February 21, 2005, 12:17:
 
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:

I am a Christian, but I don't go around forcing my religion on other people (which is simply rude). Generally my religion only matters in discussions of morals, theology, etc.

So, you won't be weilding a pitchfork and tie me to the stake whilst yelling things about heresy? [Big Grin]

But seriously, welcome to the forums!
 
Posted by magefile (Member # 2918) on February 21, 2005, 12:41:
 
The science/non-science distinction between MLA and APA is mostly in journals; many US high schools requiree one or the other, and many universities do the same (although some do make the distinction).
 
Posted by ZorroTheFox (Member # 917) on February 21, 2005, 17:16:
 
hello and welcome to the forums
 
Posted by Rhonwyyn (Member # 2854) on February 21, 2005, 21:13:
 
INA Pillow, your bio could be mine, with a few alterations: I was the news editor of my school newspaper, the arts/music/literature expert in Quiz Bowl, and during my junior year was put on the senior class ballot (incidentally, I would've stood a chance of winning because I was much more popular with the seniors than the juniors).

What state do you call home?
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on February 21, 2005, 21:52:
 
quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:

I am a Christian, but I don't go around forcing my religion on other people (which is simply rude). Generally my religion only matters in discussions of morals, theology, etc.

So, you won't be weilding a pitchfork and tie me to the stake whilst yelling things about heresy? [Big Grin]

But seriously, welcome to the forums!

Sounds good. Just so long as you're not actually dressed like this, I think we'll be fine. [Big Grin]
 
Posted by n4dmx (Member # 3177) on February 21, 2005, 22:35:
 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:

I am a Christian, but I don't go around forcing my religion on other people (which is simply rude). Generally my religion only matters in discussions of morals, theology, etc.

So, you won't be weilding a pitchfork and tie me to the stake whilst yelling things about heresy? [Big Grin]


But seriously, welcome to the forums!

Sounds good. Just so long as you're not actually dressed like this, I think we'll be fine. [Big Grin]
Oh noes! You're on to me! [blush]
I actually do all my wardrobe shopping here. [Razz]

Nah, I usually wear jeans and a T-shirt. [Big Grin]
 
Posted by i_need_a_pillow (Member # 2765) on February 22, 2005, 01:52:
 
Time to respond to a few people:

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
What state do you call home?

I live in Missouri.

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Sounds good. Just so long as you're not actually dressed like this, I think we'll be fine. [Big Grin]

Don't worry. I've considered learning how to make armor (just haven't had the time yet), but I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt.

quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
So, you won't be weilding a pitchfork and tie me to the stake whilst yelling things about heresy? [Big Grin]

No. Don't worry. [Cool]
 
Posted by Swiss Mercenary (Member # 330) on February 22, 2005, 03:48:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
quote:
P.S. I am on english origin so I do have a tendancy to write the language as she is supposed to be written

P.S. I am of English origin so I do have a tendency to write the language as it was intended to be written. Surely SM?

/gets asbestos coat and flees away from the anti pedant flames...

[Big Grin]

<hits Serenak numerous times over the head with a 'interestingly' shaped turnip, then squirts him with the Fondue gun!>
 
Posted by Black Widow (Member # 3046) on February 22, 2005, 06:15:
 
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:
I live in Missouri.

Where abouts in Missouri are you? I'm somewhere around the central-ish part of the state, about an hour northeast of Columbia.
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on February 22, 2005, 08:21:
 
Talk about a long username...

i_n_a_p, (i nap, [Razz] ) welcome to GC.
 
Posted by magefile (Member # 2918) on February 22, 2005, 09:01:
 
SM: inap is not going to take down your name and age, even if he (she?) is a newsie.
 
Posted by Serenak (Member # 2950) on February 22, 2005, 12:38:
 
NO NO NO...

Not the fondue gun, that stuff sets like concrete.... Now I'm gonna have to spend all night chipping set four cheeses off me asbestos coat... [Big Grin]

Mmmm, doesn't taste too bad though...

[Wink]
 
Posted by i_need_a_pillow (Member # 2765) on February 22, 2005, 18:48:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Where abouts in Missouri are you? I'm somewhere around the central-ish part of the state, about an hour northeast of Columbia.

I'm in the southwest part (near, but not in, Springfield).

quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
SM: inap is not going to take down your name and age, even if he (she?) is a newsie.

I'm a guy, and I'm not taking down anybody's name and age. ^_^

quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
<hits Serenak numerous times over the head with a 'interestingly' shaped turnip, then squirts him with the Fondue gun!>

Where did you get the Fondue gun? Is it from the same shop as the cosmic bong?
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on February 22, 2005, 19:16:
 
I believe you can find the Fondue gun in the hold of the Vogon Warship, but then you won't have time to leave before...
 
Posted by n4dmx (Member # 3177) on February 22, 2005, 20:18:
 
The poetry isn't so bad if you pull the little fish from your ear. [Razz]
 
Posted by magefile (Member # 2918) on February 22, 2005, 20:20:
 
inap: it's a reference to a Terry Pratchett book called, "The Truth" about a journalist. (Well sorta ... as with any Discworld book, one sentence doesn't cover it *at* *all*).
 


© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0