This is topic American Pie in forum The Joy of Tech at The Geek Culture Forums.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001269

Posted by Shooshie (Member # 2205) on July 10, 2017, 11:38:
 
Thanks guys. That was a tough one. I know some work went into it. I know you must have cried some tears. Thank you.

We'll let you know when we're on the way back up again. Sooner or later this had to happen to the USA. The stupids were just getting so outspoken. Science deniers, climate deniers, truth deniers... they had grown to outlandish proportions. The question now is whether we'll ever be able to get this back on track. A generation will grow up with Trump as their role model. Not good.

I think in 4 to 8 years we'll be back to presidential politics again, not whatever this is. In the meantime thanks for the concern and broken hearted feelings.

Shooshie
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on July 10, 2017, 11:47:
 
Thanks Shooshie. [Happytears]

It is heartbreaking to see what's happening down there.

The world is rooting for the USA to get things back on track. [Geek] [thumbsup]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on July 10, 2017, 21:03:
 
I remember a reddit thread about immigration - with self-described 'patriots' pouring scorn on "all that statue of liberty bullshit".

Strange kind of patriotism.
 
Posted by Nitrozac (Member # 111) on July 11, 2017, 00:28:
 
Thanks Shooshie! The G20 meeting and the Russian/US impenetrable cyber unit tweet really made an impression on me. Sad what is happening. There's so much about America and Americans that was already great since way before Trump and Obama and Bush...etc. You guys rock!
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on July 11, 2017, 08:16:
 
For those who are feeling depressed about events in Trumpistan, some words of hope.

A couple of years ago, I was feeling quite depressed about the way things were going here in oz. The new government here was looking very nasty, and was marching towards full on fascism at an alarming rate.

And then this happened. Black-uniformed paramilitaries in the main street checking peoples papers. Or at least trying to, the people were having none of it.

Turns out the fascists in the government had overreached themselves - the average conservative politician isn't a fascist, and the non-fascists in the government were as unhappy with the jackboot nonsense as I was.

Less than 3 weeks later (a couple of days after the Ides Of September) a party room revolt saw the demise of the PM and several of his more obviously fascist followers - we're back to having an ordinary crap conservative government.

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to Trump. Maybe not an impeachment, but the political process has other ways of de-fanging a feral president.
 
Posted by Shooshie (Member # 2205) on July 11, 2017, 16:53:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
For those who are feeling depressed about events in Trumpistan, some words of hope.

A couple of years ago, I was feeling quite depressed about the way things were going here in oz. The new government here was looking very nasty, and was marching towards full on fascism at an alarming rate.

And then this happened. Black-uniformed paramilitaries in the main street checking peoples papers. Or at least trying to, the people were having none of it.

Turns out the fascists in the government had overreached themselves - the average conservative politician isn't a fascist, and the non-fascists in the government were as unhappy with the jackboot nonsense as I was.

Less than 3 weeks later (a couple of days after the Ides Of September) a party room revolt saw the demise of the PM and several of his more obviously fascist followers - we're back to having an ordinary crap conservative government.

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to Trump. Maybe not an impeachment, but the political process has other ways of de-fanging a feral president.

That gives one hope. But Americans have become such pussies, they just might go along with the jackboots. That scares me. Still, thanks for the words of hope.

Shooshie
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on July 11, 2017, 22:43:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I remember a reddit thread about immigration - with self-described 'patriots' pouring scorn on "all that statue of liberty bullshit".

Strange kind of patriotism.

What?!

I have reservations about some things around here, but I always go weak in the knees for that pretty lady. It's one of things that makes me so happy to be in NY - whenever I'm feeling a bit down, I can go down to the water and see her off in the distance, shining brightly. [hearts]
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on July 14, 2017, 19:55:
 
The present head of the FCC once worked for a telecom, so now he is rewording his former employer.
 
Posted by Ugh, MightyClub (Member # 3112) on July 17, 2017, 12:41:
 
Maybe. But the previous FCC chair (Tom Wheeler) was a telecom lobbyist and that didn't stop him from pushing net neutrality.

You have a choice with these big agency heads. You can accept the bias that comes from sufficient experience in the area to know what you're doing. Or you can accept the ineptitude of someone who does NOT have experience with the agency's purview. In either case, you have to hope the right things happen overall.
 
Posted by romad (Member # 36425) on July 18, 2017, 17:43:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooshie:
That gives one hope. But Americans have become such pussies, they just might go along with the jackboots. That scares me. Still, thanks for the words of hope.

Shooshie [/QB]

Case in point is here in California where only a few are decrying the wholesale assault on the U.S. Constitution. One-party rule, releasing vast amounts of criminals on the public, welcoming foreign criminals, impeding the public right of self-defense, etc.
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on July 19, 2017, 08:53:
 
I for one, welcome the libtard overlords of the CA Jerry Brownshirts.

But a decade of magical underwear and church run government can do that to you.
 
Posted by Shooshie (Member # 2205) on July 30, 2017, 19:29:
 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I remember a reddit thread about immigration - with self-described 'patriots' pouring scorn on "all that statue of liberty bullshit".

Strange kind of patriotism.

What?!

I have reservations about some things around here, but I always go weak in the knees for that pretty lady. It's one of things that makes me so happy to be in NY - whenever I'm feeling a bit down, I can go down to the water and see her off in the distance, shining brightly. [hearts]

Me too! I LOVE the Statue of Liberty! I love what she represents, and I love that the French were so inspired by the USA that they wanted to give us this incredible gift. I have not and never will forget that this was a GIFT from France. Later we went to France to defend her against Axis and Nazi powers. We bled on the battlefields at Normandy, Ypres, Verdun, and all over France. To think that we could become estranged is immensely worse than the Brangelina breakup. (I'm a little bit horrified that I made that comparison!) The French were wonderful to me everywhere I went. But I found out that they love Texans. Not to get sidetracked...

We built the base for the Statue of Liberty with contributions from kids all over America, sending their pennies to a fund. The statue was built by none other than Gustav Eiffel, making it truly the American Eiffel Tower. The French one is amazing, but the American one is unbelievable. We grew up with it, so we accept it, But where else is there anything like that statue?

I get emotional just talking about it.

Shooshie
 


© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0